Beerlight

Airshow bailout: RAF Duxford

It's funny how the Skyraider has visible damage, yet still has a pilot in the cockpit, while the Mustang appears intact, yet it's pilot is back flying 100 ft above it.

Good save for the rigger in any case.

Just what I thought.
Anyone know what the Mustang damage was, (before it hit the ground)?
"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

It never ceases to amaze me... just how much damage a Skyraider can take and still remain flying... Sandy was one tough mofo.

Those photos don't show how low he was. That was CLOSE....

The video shows the P-51 having a little time to level off, and then it nosedived. One still shot shows the ground, the Mustang and the pilot with still opening parachute. Low low, but not sure of actual altitude.

It's funny how the Skyraider has visible damage, yet still has a pilot in the cockpit, while the Mustang appears intact, yet it's pilot is back flying 100 ft above it.

Good save for the rigger in any case.

Just what I thought.
Anyone know what the Mustang damage was, (before it hit the ground)?

The Mustang fuselage was heavily damaged just behind the doghouse / cooling door. Speculation is that the impact took out the elevator control cables. The Skyraider lost almost everything outboard of the wing fold point. As long as it didn't bend the spar in the center section they should be able to hang a new outer wing section and be good to go.

I used to live 4 miles from Duxford, back before it was a museum. Used to fly R/C planes off the main runway.

Looks like he got rid of it in an open area, hopefully. Amazing how much punishment the P-51 took and still held together, from the looks of the video.

It never ceases to amaze me... just how much damage a Skyraider can take and still remain flying... Sandy was one tough mofo.

Was it "Big Beautiful Doll" (WZ-I)?

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

I don't believe so. IIRC that one is still stateside. The aircraft that was lost is Serial #:A68-192 Registry: G-HAEC. It was painted up as Glamorous Glen III previously. Rob Davies, who was flying it when the accident occurred, had recently sold the aircraft to Meier Motors in Germany.

Note the markings

[:/]

That's the one. I'm still trying to find out if there is still one in the US painted in those same markings. There was, but I think it may have been changed. It's kind of like all of the ones that have been painted as Glamorous Glen III over the years, and the much over used Lou IV scheme. We jokingly refer to the latest one as Lou IV the 7th.

sad to loose such a beautiful plane and historical legend.

But many congrats to the pilot for bailing out, hope his rigger gets a nice bottle of "what he wants"

Will have to show that to my warbird pilots here...

Does anybody know what PEP he was weearing ?

And the Salis Foundation will have their season to repair the Skyraider... they have a nice collection, one of the finest in europe www.ajbs.fr/
scissors beat paper, paper beat rock, rock beat wingsuit - KarlM