normiss

Poor motor cops...

Two local cop shops have switched over the the boxers the past couple of years.
Now it's coming back around.
Maintenance on the beemers is apparently higher than the American made versions.
;)

Some of the coppers say they aren't as comfy riding the boxers either. Higher center of gravity and the "sculpted" seats aren't as comfy as the cop model one HD uses.
A couple of them have told me they miss their Harleys. Said it's a much more useful platform for what they need.

There is something about a motorcycle cop that just bugs the heck out of me. Especially when they have their hand held radar gun pointing[:/] I would like to invent a low energy radar seeking missile to fire back:o

I hope they are uncomfortable as hell on their little beamers or whatever, and when I see them I pray for rainB|

"We saved your gear. Now you can sell it when you get out of the hospital and upsize!!" "K-Dub"

"

Another good point...

I can almost count on the HD motor cops to lower the radar gun and wave - always amazed how often that happens.
Since switching to boxers, they seem a touch...angry.

:D:D:D

boxers making you angry? who, us? say it isn't so! (see pic)

I hope they are uncomfortable as hell on their little beamers or whatever, and when I see them I pray for rainB|

and your life would be so much better with LEOS:|
You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

Another good point...

I can almost count on the HD motor cops to lower the radar gun and wave - always amazed how often that happens.
Since switching to boxers, they seem a touch...angry.

:D:D:D

I would be angry if I was put on a HD, with the horrible service plan, vibrations and low power...there is an agency near me that are on HDs that have to get their radios rebuilt every year due to vibration damage!

Then again, I haven't been on a BMW1150RT in over a year, but the ST1300 rocks it. It'll pull the front tire up in 1st and 2nd even with my fatt butt on it! Then again I wave at riders, even if they're on a HD.;)
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

There is something about a motorcycle cop that just bugs the heck out of me. Especially when they have their hand held radar gun pointing[:/] I would like to invent a low energy radar seeking missile to fire back:o

Hand held radar? BAH! Radar is for mounting and moving (Stalker DSR 2x anyone?) Hand helds are for LIDARs. ;)

I've been praying for rain for a couple of months now. Please continue to pray, we need a break from the heat over 100F. The short rain shower we had a while back made me laugh and work even harder. Since the temperature dropped 20 degrees and I was actually comfortably cool. All the equipment works just as well in the rain, yes even the radar and the LIDAR and yes it is just as accurate.B|
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

The Cop folks I have talked with prefer their BMWs. I've also watched a few CHP completely breaking road laws having fun on them. They may not be exempt ... but they are. Point is, they like them.

I know many a civilian rider that have test ridden a BMW and sold the Harley. I've ridden both. and there's simply no way I'd pick up a Harley.

For general purpose and actual riding. Gimme da Beemer.

If you're a Harley stunter, sure. Why not. There are several in this area. They are fantastic riders and I appreciate their opinions and abilities however, it's no standard Harley Cruiser they ride on.
My grammar sometimes resembles that of magnetic refrigerator poetry... Ghetto

My nephew told me that his department (Lenexa Police) is now using Victory motorcycles. Checked it out on Polaris's website and sure enough there it is.
http://www.polarisindustries.com/en-us/Victory-Motorcycles/Experience/Pages/000PasTx1.aspx
"...And once you're gone, you can't come back
When you're out of the blue and into the black."
Neil Young

All the equipment works just as well in the rain, yes even the radar and the LIDAR and yes it is just as accurate.B|

Being no expert on radars, but having a bit of knowledge on radio waves...

Doesn't the rain effect the LIDAR by scattering the beam resulting in a lower reflected power?

Also, doesn't the RADAR (running Ka or K band) have a significant rain fade at a large distance?
"I may be a dirty pirate hooker...but I'm not about to go stand on the corner." iluvtofly
DPH -7, TDS 578, Muff 5153, SCR 14890
I'm an asshole, and I approve this message

Maintenance on the beemers is apparently higher than the American made versions.

You know where the new harleys were designed don't you?

Stuttgart, Germany:P
Experienced jumper - someone who has made mistakes more often than I have and lived.

You know where the new harleys were designed don't you?

Stuttgart, Germany:P

Yup, the Porsche engineering team helped in the design of the Hardly a Harley V-Rod Revolution engine.
I road a few of them after doing the schedule maintenance on them. Not at all impressed, but then I've been riding a a real V-Twin for near 30 years. I'm kind of partial in that regard. Guys who do own the V-Rod do swear by them and they are well designed. It's just a matter of taste. However, they do not hold their value like a real Harley does.
Neil Young

Harley's are poser bikes for people who think they look and sound cool. BMW's are performanc machines you can ride on for 8 hours and not want to get off. And no bike has more trouble free maintenance. Like someone said, I have never seen anyone ride a BMW and not fall in love with the performance. Granted though, Harleys look cool parked outside your favorite dive bar.

I've ridden a number of boxers over a a very long distance ride.
I'll take the Harley dressers thank you.
Not now nor have I ever slammed the beemers. Good engineering, good bikes, like everything else in life, just a matter of preference.

Oh and that always needing work piece of shit Harley I have now broke down on me yesterday.
Dead battery. It's been two years apparently.
36,000 miles.
Battery has been the only "repairs" needed. Not a drop of oil anywhere.
B|
Yep, those Harley's are maintenance and reliability pigs.
:S

Are you saying you put 36000 miles on your Harley in the last two years? That is damn impressive. You really do love your Harley. You mention the boxers, but I am curious what you think of the K bikes? Might be more to your liking. Oh, I never said Harley's were maintenance pigs. But I would have had I thought of it! Glad to hear yours is not a problem.

Oh and that always needing work piece of shit Harley I have now broke down on me yesterday.
Dead battery. It's been two years apparently.
36,000 miles.
Battery has been the only "repairs" needed. Not a drop of oil anywhere.

Same here, my battery crapped out last week.
The only H-D I've ever had problems with was my 1980 Sportster/Roadster. Alternator went south several times and then the harness fried. Built my Norton chopper after that.
Put together a 1972/75 FL and road her around the country. Not one problem. Not even a single drip of oil. Bought the 91 Fatboy brand new and then tore the engine down and built it for speed. Over 250,000 miles and never had one issue with her.
Couldn't be happier with the 05 Fatboy. Although I'm not overly impressed with the twin cam. The Evo was a much more powerful engine (longer stroke=more torque.) I have considered stroking and boring the 05, but the trade off in doing so is mpg and street-ability. Big engines produce big heat and heavy traffic can destroy a big air cooled engine on a hot day. Yet when I consider what I did to my Evo, head work, big cam, bigger carb, exhaust, ignition, and 1rst and 2nd gear swap I should be able to do something similar on my twin cam. It would be fairly cheap to do. The only thing that I won't be able to do is punching out the heads for the larger intake valves (larger intakes will produce greater air flow and produce more torque) (and possibly decking the heads to up the compression) as I do not have a mill.
As with any motorcycle, longevity is the product of proper maintenance. I think that today's newer riders see maintenance as a chore and prefer to either avoid it altogether and then complain when the bike breaks down or rely on the local dealership to remind them of when maintenance is needed.
I view maintenance as being fun to do and would never consider letting anyone wrench on my sled. Being a certified technician and having every H-D PHD in my book, allowing someone else to touch my bike would be a sin. What I can do, anyone else can do. Buy a manual, read it and get to know your bike on a personal level. You'll be better for doing so.
Neil Young

I've just always gotten such a kick from the "Harleys require SOOO MUUUUCH WORK" crowd.
They're wrong.

Simply because we care enough to properly maintain them, modify them, customize and personalize them...

Mine's in pieces now.

Upgraded headlights - required removal of fairing. Upgrading fasteners to stainless, upgrading the handle bar bushings to poly, drill, tap, install grease fitting on heel/toe shifter shaft on inner primary, another 10k service, general tune-up. Just some quality personal time with the sled. And beer.

Mine's in pieces now.

No kidding. I was quite surprised to walk into the Kitchen yesterday to find some of the parts on my rug! :P
She is Da Man, and you better not mess with Da Man,
because she will lay some keepdown on you faster than, well, really fast. ~Billvon