CanuckInUSA

Most extreme form of motorsports

I think skydiving is awesome and freefall is something all able bodied whuffos should experience. But I got to the point a few years ago where swooping was my primary passion in this sport and that is all I ever wanted to do. Unfortunately I now live in the part of the world where staying current as a swooper is impossible and (hangs head in shame) it appears that I have retired from the swooping ranks as it is just too dangerous to do unless you are current.

So I have turned to motorsports as my adrenaline rush replacement. I wish I could say I was a real world race car driver, but you need to be rich to do that. I only pretend to be a race car driver in online simulation races. But I do drive my real world '97 Porsche 911 at my local race track during open lapping sessions and that is a blast. There is no way you can drive these cars on the public roads the way they can be driven on a race track.

Lately I have watched a lot of different forms of motorsport racing (F1, Indy, LMS and ALMS endurance races, Grand Am, Moto GP, some Motocross and yes I have even tried to do NASCAR, but I can't. NASCAR drives me nuts). But is there a more extreme form a motorsports than Rally racing? Those guys drive at the limit on courses throughout the country side day and night rain or shine. But Rally isn't as extreme for the drivers as it is for the spectators. It still blows my mind how close some of the spectators stand to the courses and I doubt very much any other form of motorsports has taken the lives of spectators as Rally has.

Here are a few good rally YouTube videos:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ozntieZs8Bg
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zyXWa3SygOY

please post more if you have other favorites you know of.

Oh and the "Repost" cops need to turn a blind eye here now. Gymkhana is NOT rally driving, but it is similar and this Ken Block video (seen by many already) is one of the best displays of car control you will ever see:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4TshFWSsrn8

Try not to worry about the things you have no control over

IMHO the two most "Extreme" motorsports are the National Championship Air Races held in Reno each year, and the true TT style motorcycle road races like the Irish road races, and the Isle of Man TT.

Yes TT motorcycle racing has to be pretty extreme as well. Just like Rally, but on two wheels instead of four with no navigator.

IMHO the two most "Extreme" motorsports are the National Championship Air Races held in Reno each year, and the true TT style motorcycle road races like the Irish road races, and the Isle of Man TT.

Isle on Man..no doubt extreme.

But a bunch of rich guys flyin' expensive toys in a circle gets a bit mundane, the Red Bull air races on the other hand! B|

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

Yes TT motorcycle racing has to be pretty extreme as well. Just like Rally, but on two wheels instead of four with no navigator.

I would argue that the Dakar Rally on a dirt bike is waaaay out there in terms of extreme.
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

I would argue that the Dakar Rally on a dirt bike is waaaay out there in terms of extreme.

Definitely. Although it's not quite as crazy as it used to be when they ran on the African Continent.

Google, Erzburg Rodeo. Almost as wild as the Dakar.

Look up DRIFT racing. Now THATS a motor sport

Go back to the OP, and look up the rally racing. Those guys are all kinds of sideways, on the dirt, twice as fast as driters. They also have jumps, and trees and cliffs and people lining the course and jumping into the road to take pics.

Drifting is cool, but it's a show. Rallying is racing.

It seems the MOST eXtrEmE m-sport is pretenders bragging on forums about how fast they go on public streets. Typically people with no track training or clue.

:P

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

Wide World of Sports showed a figure "8" car race one time. It was like a high speed demolition derby. That was pretty extreme. Probably be more extreme doing it with motorcycles. ;)

Most of the things worth doing in the world had been declared impossilbe before they were done.
Louis D Brandeis

Where are we going and why are we in this basket?

Go back to the OP, and look up the rally racing. Those guys are all kinds of sideways, on the dirt, twice as fast as driters. They also have jumps, and trees and cliffs and people lining the course and jumping into the road to take pics. Drifting is cool, but it's a show. Rallying is racing.

Of course slow motion footage bundled with dramatic music is the recipe for an epic video. There is tons of hardcore driving from the Group B class in this video linked below, but one only needs to watch what the spectator had to do to save his bacon at the 4:30 mark to know this is extreme. I still don't understand how those crazy fans can stand only feet away from the action.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dFRhxsLfj-I

Go back to the OP, and look up the rally racing. Those guys are all kinds of sideways, on the dirt, twice as fast as driters. They also have jumps, and trees and cliffs and people lining the course and jumping into the road to take pics. Drifting is cool, but it's a show. Rallying is racing.

Of course slow motion footage bundled with dramatic music is the recipe for an epic video. There is tons of hardcore driving from the Group B class in this video linked below, but one only needs to watch what the spectator had to do to save his bacon at the 4:30 mark to know this is extreme. I still don't understand how those crazy fans can stand only feet away from the action.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dFRhxsLfj-I

I miss Group B. The Lancia 037 is one of my favorite cars of all time. It was the last two wheel drive car to win a rally.