peek

questions for sales people

Questions for sales people:

Over the last year or so I have been contacted by people both over the phone and coming to my door that are trying to sell me something.

Most of the time they tell me something like, "they are trying to help me", or that they are "informing me of something new in my area", etc.

When it is apparent to them that I am about to give them the brush-off, most of them now tell me directly, "I'm not trying to sell you anything.", which is a lie. Some times I ask, "Is this a sales call?", and they still lie to me, sometimes directly to my face.

Is this standard practice now in sales? Does it fool some people? Does anyone actually believe that a sales person is trying to "help" them?

They're following a script. It's common for high-volume cold calling environments with a short sales cycle.

The door-to-door salesman is nearly extinct. Make sure you aren't being probed by scammers or thieves on the door-to-door. I don't know about other states, but in California, you need a special credential to conduct door-to-door sales, cold-calling on residences.

Perhaps one day, one of them will have just the widget you needed. ;)

So I try and I scream and I beg and I sigh
Just to prove I'm alive, and it's alright
'Cause tonight there's a way I'll make light of my treacherous life
Make light!

Some times I ask, "Is this a sales call?", and they still lie to me, sometimes directly to my face.

That wouldn't be a sales call if it were directly to your face. :P
"I may be a dirty pirate hooker...but I'm not about to go stand on the corner." iluvtofly
DPH -7, TDS 578, Muff 5153, SCR 14890
I'm an asshole, and I approve this message

Some times I ask, "Is this a sales call?", and they still lie to me, sometimes directly to my face.

It's a "call" in the context of, "I'm going to call on my next door neighbor." That does not mean I'm picking up the phone and making a call.
So I try and I scream and I beg and I sigh
Just to prove I'm alive, and it's alright
'Cause tonight there's a way I'll make light of my treacherous life
Make light!

It's a "call" in the context of, "I'm going to call on my next door neighbor." That does not mean I'm picking up the phone and making a call.

Nope, not buying it... I don't know what you west coast people are smokin! :P
"I may be a dirty pirate hooker...but I'm not about to go stand on the corner." iluvtofly
DPH -7, TDS 578, Muff 5153, SCR 14890
I'm an asshole, and I approve this message

Nope, not buying it... I don't know what you west coast people are smokin! :P

The terminology isn't used much any more, but "calling on" someone has long been used to refer to visiting in person.
__

My mighty steed

Most of the time they tell me something like, "they are trying to help me", or that they are "informing me of something new in my area", etc.

I just interrupt their fake friendly opening spiel, and ask them; "What are you selling?" If they give me anything but a straight answer to that question, I shut the door in their face. If they give me an honest answer, I'll at least give them a "No, thank you" before shutting the door in their face. Boy and Girl Scouts get an exception.

It seems that I get at least two tree trimmers a week. If I let every one of them trim my trees, I'd have nothing left but toothpicks.

Heh heh. Some years ago, a college-age girl knocked on my door.

She: "Good day! Are you aware of the work we young people are doing in your neighborhood?"
Me: "Yes, I am."
She: :| "Oh." :| "Well, um..... have a nice day."

I just interrupt their fake friendly opening spiel, and ask them; "What are you selling?" If they give me anything but a straight answer to that question,

I usually say "You've just lied to me, why would I buy from you now"

Usually followed by, "Please don't call back"
Watch my video Fat Women
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eRWkEky8GoI

Boy and Girl Scouts get an exception.

I'm a sucker for Girl Scout cookies, and I like supporting their efforts. But those scams with the "young urban kids trying to win a trip to Disneyland and stay out of gangs" by selling $10 candy bars get a "no" from me. Also the guy with the steaks in the truck gets turned down too. :S:D

The last time I got a door-to-door salesperson, it was a rep for ADT security systems. SOLD!

I had been wanting a system installed for quite a while, but never got around to it. The rep took care of everything. B|

All the others got the "no thanks". I've only had probably 5 salespeople show up in 10 years.

"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban