shah269

How does one go about finding head hunters?

Didn't we have this exact same discussion with the same players, like, a few months ago????

The good headhunters work through networking.

You say your industry is very "isolated"... Well, if that was the case, it would be an ideal realm for a headhunter to operate, so I don't quite buy the "they can't find me" argument.

So back to networking. What have you done to grow and nurture your network?

Pissed off all the size 9 women. :D:D:D:D
"I may be a dirty pirate hooker...but I'm not about to go stand on the corner." iluvtofly
DPH -7, TDS 578, Muff 5153, SCR 14890
I'm an asshole, and I approve this message

You know what I don't get....why do these girls care about who I find attractive?
It just sounds a little odd to me?
I mean ok, yes I'm good looking but really there are so many other guys around that they could be hitting on other than me!
:)
OK that aside, I don't know, maybe I'll take a day off and walk around NYC going from company to company and seeing what gives? Odd sure...but well what can you do?

I'm in a catch 22, i want out of engineering but I can't make a penny less. So no clue how to go about changing my life with out going broke due to outstanding debts on the home.

Life through good thoughts, good words, and good deeds is necessary to ensure happiness and to keep chaos at bay.

The only thing that falls from the sky is birdshit and fools!

If you post your resume, they will call. I had mine posted on several sites and headhunters would call me. I also did a search for headhunter/recruiting firms in the locations I would consider relocating to and submitted my resume and cover letter to them.

You need to figure out what field you want to into first. Headhunters are usually specific to industry or field. You can't just say, "Hey, I used to be in the engineering field, but now I don't wanna be," and expect to have people chasing you down. You have to make yourself stand out. It's a super competitive environment right now with so many people looking for work.

Doing a search for the type of career you would like to go into will also lead you to recruiting firm websites that specialize in a given industry/trade.

I did all the above and in the end a job found me because of my network of friends and previous coworkers. Someone I made an impression on at a previous job sought me out and offered me a job. Networking matters, but what do I know, I'm barely a size 8. :P

Adrenaline is my crack

DPH #3
D.S. #16 FAG #12 Muff Brother #4406

k-dubjumps
Thank you for the info. What sites did you utilize if you don't mind me asking?

Also my network within the industry I am is rather well established and as stated I could always leave my current employer and move to another with a slight bump in pay.

Yet that is not what I'm looking for. I'm looking for a total change of perspective; new people, new industry and a new world to rebuild my life. And my greatest fear is that I may be stuck due to financial obligations which I can't walk away from.

Thus again thank you!
(for a shallow bastard, you have to admit I am rather polite!)
Life through good thoughts, good words, and good deeds is necessary to ensure happiness and to keep chaos at bay.

Thank you! I will give them a shot.
Who knows.....it would be nice to get out of engineering and work where the people are a little more normal and less technical.
Just need to change my life around, rebuild....[:/]
and doing it during the great ression.

You seem to have pretty good credentials. There's a write-up of you on a company's website, and you weren't very difficult to find through Google, so you at least have a few records outside of a resume that speak of patents you have written and such. You also share a name with a lead developer of an extremely popular video game, so your name has some competition there, yet you still pull up pretty easily by searching your name and the state you live in. Google yourself and see what pulls up easiest. Elaborate on these on your resume, and this will help validate your experience. Once you have doctored your resume, search for recruiters in your area in the field you want to work in. A recruiter will not see your credentials, take into consideration that you no longer want to do what you do now, and help you find a job unrelated to your experience. They will send you offers for jobs that match your experience, so it will probably be best just to get in touch with them and see what jobs they have available through their website.

I would advise you to know exactly what you want to do, and tailor your resume to fit that job description. Going through a recruiting agency sucks. You end up with job offers that you don't want, and you may get stuck with either only temp jobs, or having your pay based on what the recruiting agency makes off of you; not what you are worth. Really think about that before you jump into that boat.

(Apologies in advance for finding your personal information online. It was mostly a test to see how well-known you are in your field. You shouldn't be surprised though; this is the information age, and you already shared enough personal information here to make my search easy. And, well, I'm good at this shit. ;))

>Have any of you in the past utilized the services of a head hunter and
>better question where do you find them?

You're looking for an employment agency, not a headhunter. Companies use headhunters to find specific people; employment agencies specialize in finding people jobs.

>Are they industry specific?

Generally they are going to be industry specific - communications engineering, business consulting etc. Very few companies are going to be large enough to have their own employment agencies.

>If I were to inform one that I'm looking for a 180 heading change from
>engineering to ANYTHING BUT ENGINEERING would they understand?

I'm sure they would understand (it's their job to match people to opportunities) but having all your experience be in another field is going to be a handicap. It would be like someone who was working as a retail sales manager wanting to get a job designing cellphones; they are unlikely to be hired in that field.

If I were to inform one that I'm looking for a 180 heading change from engineering to ANYTHING BUT ENGINEERING would they understand?

If I were a hiring manager (or screening on behalf of a hiring manager - which I do a lot) and that were your answer to "What are you looking for in your next opportunity?" your resume would get filed immediately.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke

(Apologies in advance for finding your personal information online. It was mostly a test to see how well-known you are in your field. You shouldn't be surprised though; this is the information age, and you already shared enough personal information here to make my search easy. And, well, I'm good at this shit. ;))

No no it's ok. and I never thought of linking my resume to any of that stuff. I just assumed it was just a part of what people did as a part of their job.

Ok well I have quite a bit to think about and work on, thank you. Can't wait to figure out how to get out of engineering and work with a more diverse group of people.

Less dudes dudes and yes more dudes who live at home with mom and more....diverse.

If I were to inform one that I'm looking for a 180 heading change from engineering to ANYTHING BUT ENGINEERING would they understand?

Did not catch this earlier. A headhunter probably won't talk to you if you are wanting to change careers.

I know, it's not going to be easy. Like I said I have a few offers on the table some for really good pay but I'm not interested due to it being more engineering management. I've done that. It was fun. It's time to move on.

I would kill to work in NYC! To be around out going diverse people. [:/]

But I understand it's a huge risk on the part of the company hiring me. After all, 9 years as an engineer.....may not be a good idea in say finance or pharma.

Uh.. New Guinea? (sorry Shah I just could not resist) Good luck in your search

No it's ok. I'm looking all over the world at the moment. From NYC to Dubai.
Rebuilding one's life is never easy and free of pain. So if that pain is to move to a new country so be it. I've done it before and I'm sure I'll have to do it again.

At the moment the goal is to move to a more diverse organization. As I've said I've done the engineering thing. From R&D lab work all the way to factories and installation. It's been fun. I had my fun now I want a more professional environment. Shirts, ties and the like.

I'm sure that sounds nutty for some but, I've lived too long in the world of polo shirts and jeans. I'm going to have my masters soon and want to look the part I guess.

I'm in a catch 22, i want out of engineering but I can't make a penny less.

I think that's exceedingly unlikely unless you take an engineering role that has other responsibilities that get you to a non-engineering position. Maybe you can become a team lead where you spend 75% of your time engineering and 25% on management and then get promoted into a more managerial role.

In any other position you have less experience and worth to an employer.

People with more experience are more attractive because they have more experience and people with a shorter path to the same experience are more attractive because they're used to less money and will generally be willing to work harder to prove themselves.

So no clue how to go about changing my life with out going broke due to outstanding debts on the home.

Everything has its cost.

My current boss tries to keep us as happy as possible, people can actually go on vacation for a few weeks at a time, my senior management team is the most competent I've worked with, I can ride my bicycle in the sun pretty much every day, it rarely gets over 80 in the summer, and the temperature is usually in the 50s over the winter.

Assuming no positive liquidity event this year my total compensation will be less than half what it was if I'd stayed at my last big company, I live in a single bedroom apartment with my wife and cat instead of owning a luxury town home, and my car is 14 years old instead of just a decade. It's totally worth it.

You may be happier with a short sale, few years of bad credit, and something that uses your MBA but only pays the starting salary that goes with that.

I had my fun now I want a more professional environment. Shirts, ties and the like.

That is just sick and twisted.:S
You would have loved General Dynamics;
Nothing but gray suits and white shirts.
Thousands of engineers all dressed exactly alike.
Barf!
"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

I think I will do well.
Almost a decade of work experience.
Developed and established teams from the ground up.
Six Sigma Black Belt, and mentor.
A few patents...yeah I think I'll do well.
The question is simple...will I do well enough.
It's going to be interesting.

You know that IT thread?
Well guess what...for some odd reason at work I can't seem to be able to use the search function.....[:/]