Skyper

Jumping with a cat

I don't have a reason to skydive with a cat-but I've been known to threaten my girlfriend's cat with being thrown off a high object under a 48" PC... She usually stops sharpening her claws in my couch when I elaborate on the details of becoming a base-test-kittie :)
"Sometimes you eat the bar,
and well-sometimes the bar eats you..."

I've heard that cats will actually get stable, feet-down in freefall. Guess a tail really does help them land on their feet.

I'VE heard that they get stable, but BACK to Earth.

Years ago, I knew a guy who put his cat inside his jumpsuit for one jump. He said the cat stuck his head out by my friends neck and took a look while in freefall, then went WILD trying to get back inside the jumpsuit as far as he could!
I'm a jumper. Even though I don't always have money for jumps, and may not ever own a rig again, I'll always be a jumper.

According to Wiki they orient themselves belly-to-earth.

"In addition to the righting reflex cats have a number of other features that will reduce damage from a fall. Their small size, light bone structure, and thick fur decrease their terminal velocity. Furthermore, once righted they may also spread out their body to increase drag and slow the fall to some extent.[5] A falling cat's terminal velocity is 100 km/h (60mph) whereas that of a falling man in a "free fall position" is 210 km/h (130mph). At terminal velocity they also relax as they fall which protects them to some extent on impact. However, it has been argued that, after having reached terminal velocity, cats would orient their limbs horizontally such that their body hits the ground first."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cat_righting_reflex
lisa
WSCR 594
FB 1023
CBDB 9

Wiki is an idiot! Cats do not always land on their feet.

Quite frankly, unless an animal is needed in a combat or rescue situation, I am 1000% against anyone jumping with an animal and quite frankly would consider it animal abuse.
Life is short! Break the rules! Forgive quickly! Kiss slowly! Love truly, Laugh uncontrollably. And never regret anything that made you smile.

Wiki is an idiot! Cats do not always land on their feet.

Quite frankly, unless an animal is needed in a combat or rescue situation, I am 1000% against anyone jumping with an animal and quite frankly would consider it animal abuse.

I would let someone who wanted to jump with a cat...... allow them to do it with a tiger....as long as I get to make sure kitties claws are very very sharp first.