NWFlyer

Waterproof Point & Shoot Camera Options?

I just booked a Grand Canyon rafting trip for this summer. B| Planning to bring my GoPro, of course, for video and action shots on the river, but I'd also like to get a waterproof compact digital camera so that I can take non-wide-angle shots, and be able to do better framed shots while I'm hiking, in camp, etc. Would prefer to stay under $200 so that I won't be too pissed off if I lose the thing.

Anyone have any cameras they'd highly recommend? Tried CNet reviews but searching for waterproof only came up with one camera that wasn't reviewed. I don't necessarily need something that I can take scuba diving with me, but it should be able to handle splashes and maybe even being dropped in the water without getting fried.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke

Gopro? How many rafting trips have you done before?

Isnt there a 200 trip minimum? :P

Yes, and if she wants to wear a wet-suit, she needs to get instruction from a certified wet-suit instructor.B|
"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

Gopro? How many rafting trips have you done before?

I've got mad skillz, man. You're just trying to hold me back.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke

Stay with the large docile rafts until you get the expirience.

If you have a camera already you might consider buying a drybag instead?

The rafting company will be providing drybags for most of our gear but those will only be accessible in camp each night; I want something that I can have available outside my gear.

And the point & shoot camera I do have is kind of a piece of crap, so I wouldn't mind having something better.

I have an Olympus Stylus Tough. It's good for approximately 20 feet in depth. When it gets dusty, the instruction manual says soak it in the sink and then wipe it off.
The strong can always afford to be gentle, It is only the weak who need to "give as good as they get."

I had the olympus tough u6000 (I think :S) and have dropped it off of a volcano (I then landed on it :S), used it in the snow and taken in skin diving with whale sharks - it worked well in day light but isn't so great at night. Battery life is decent but it beats lugging my dslr all over Asia. I would still have it but some asshat relieved me of it in Borneo.

Other people took w/proof point'n'shoot cameras diving with whale sharks and they all filled with water :S. The casing looked worse for wear after the volcano but it still worked fine and the metal gate that protects the lense is awesome. I will be buying a new one shortly.

Are you ok with losing the GoPro? I've been on about 8 rafting trips, you can get sucked down in the water before you even see it coming. Of course, since you have mad skillz, I'm sure it wouldn't happen to you. :P

She is Da Man, and you better not mess with Da Man,
because she will lay some keepdown on you faster than, well, really fast. ~Billvon

Cannon Powershot D-10. (about $230). Damn good point and shoot.

I have this one too. We use it all time. Works great. Make sure to get an extra battery.

Don't have one but it gets better reviews than the other waterproof point and shoot cameras.

I had a Pentax Optio something or other that lasted about 5 dunkings. I wouldn't recommend them even though the camera store where I bought it had sold tons of them with nary a problem.
--
Murray

"No tyranny is so irksome as petty tyranny: the officious demands of policemen, government clerks, and electromechanical gadgets." - Edward Abbey

Are you ok with losing the GoPro? I've been on about 8 rafting trips, you can get sucked down in the water before you even see it coming. Of course, since you have mad skillz, I'm sure it wouldn't happen to you. :P

I don't know if it's mad skillz or pure luck (I'm leaning towrads pure luck :D) but I (knock wood) have yet to wipe out on a rafting trip (and that's including a bunch of Class IV-V rivers).

Thanks for the ideas, folks. Sounds like I need to take a look at the Olympus Stylus Tough and the Canon Powershot D-10. :)

If you also SCUBA, you might consider getting a good camera, and then also the waterproof case that goes with it. But these cases aren't necessarily cheap.

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

If you also SCUBA, you might consider getting a good camera, and then also the waterproof case that goes with it. But these cases aren't necessarily cheap.

Yeah, somewhere along the line I would like to invest in a DSLR and learn to take photos for realz. But that probably won't make it into the budget this year. I do SCUBA dive but not regularly (so I haven't even invested in much of my own SCUBA gear, let alone cameras to take with me).

Yeah, somewhere along the line I would like to invest in a DSLR and learn to take photos for realz. But that probably won't make it into the budget this year. I do SCUBA dive but not regularly (so I haven't even invested in much of my own SCUBA gear, let alone cameras to take with me).

Underwater housing....for DSLR. You must be a comedian. :P:P:P

Nikon D300s

And the housing for it.....

[:/]B|[:/]B|>:(>:(>:(

Nikon D300s

Annnnnnnnnnnnnnnnd that is why I don't have an underwater housing for my DSLR. Ziploc baggie works just fine :)

Nikon D300s

:o:o:o:o:o

Okay, so if I do get a DSLR it's going to stay on dry land!

Judging by the quality of the one set of underwater photos I did take (with a borrowed compact point and shoot back in the pre-GoPro days) I've got a long way to go before I have both the diving and photographic ability to get any decent shots anyway. My GoPro will probably be juuuust fine.

Yeah - the Ikelights are REALLY expensive. But then High end underwater photography is very expensive anyway.

I was thinking more along the lines of the simple Canon Camera (point and shoot digitals from the SD1000 to something you see at the DZ like a G10 and the cases you buy for those). Cases less than $200 will descend to 140 feet or more to protect cameras costing from $200 to $600.

Recreational SCUBA photography, not professional. (even so, I wouldn't go with Ikelites anyway - too much $$)

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants