sandi

Any orthodontists on dz.com?

Our orthodontist wants to put braces on my 7 year-old. I'm not convinced that she needs them now. I know there are some instances where they do want to treat kids young in order to guide the growth of the jaw, but I thought that was only in severe cases. My daughter's teeth problems are not in any way severe.

Anyone on here knowledgeable about orthodontics or have experience with braces on young kids?

I am planning to get a second opinion, and maybe a third before I do anything.

I am planning to get a second opinion

Thats the way to go.

Nobody in here can see your daughters mouth so nobody is going to be able to offer a meaningful opinion

Not really looking for an opinion on her specifically, just wondering if it is typical these days to start braces that young for mild problems.

Has she finished the transition from baby teeth to adult teeth?

I agree with some that 7 seems a bit young for braces... but what do I know...
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

I had braces in middle school. But did have some retainers and such in grade school around 8 or 9 to try to correct things so I wouldn't end up in braces. I can see it depending upon how much correction they think is needed. The sucky part is being stuck with a small wire behind your teeth for the rest of your life to keep things in place.

I had braces put on my upper teeth but I can't even remember what year. All I can remember is I had one tooth too many, so that one was pulled, and braces put on to close the gap and straighten the teeth out.

Evidently that didn't work out too well. One is turned in like a slightly open door.
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

Absolutely the right thing to do. With our first child we went to 4-5 different orthos for initial consults. We picked the one who's approach and judgement seemed the soundest to us and also used him for our next 3 kids. Although he sold his practice to a young new doctor, the great customer service and judgement continued with the new doctor. He picked his replacement well. We've recommended this ortho to several friends.

Absolutely the right thing to do. With our first child we went to 4-5 different orthos for initial consults. We picked the one who's approach and judgement seemed the soundest to us and also used him for our next 3 kids. Although he sold his practice to a young new doctor, the great customer service and judgement continued with the new doctor. He picked his replacement well. We've recommended this ortho to several friends.

I'm glad to hear you went to 4-5. I was starting to feel like I was crazy for wanting multiple opinions. The approach recommended by this first one seems overly aggressive and possibly not even necessary since we are still looking at mostly baby teeth. If she really needs the braces now then I'll do it but I'm not convinced this is the right plan. I'll definitely get a couple more opinions first.

We found at least one guy who seemed more salesman than ortho. The one we picked wasn't the cheapest, but the one who's treatment plan seemed the best for our child. It's a huge investment into your child's future, and I don't necessarily mean $$. I say you're doing the right thing, finding someone you trust. :)

Hi sandi,

BTW that is my ex-wife's name. [:/]

Both of my kids were in braces but not until their early teens. I have a very good friend who was a dentist back then & he recommended the ortho to us.

One Christmas morning I decided to take the entire family out for breakfast and we picked out a rather upscale restaurant in downtown Portland. As we pulled into the parking lot, there sat a red Ferrari with a big bow on top. As we got into the line to go into the restaurant, we saw the ortho. My daughter, who was his patient at the time, went up & greeted him. It turns out his wife had bought him the car for a Christmas present. My first thoughts were 'I bought him that car!' But then he offered my daughter a ride in it and all was good with the world.

JerryBaumchen

I'm glad to hear you went to 4-5. I was starting to feel like I was crazy for wanting multiple opinions. The approach recommended by this first one seems overly aggressive and possibly not even necessary since we are still looking at mostly baby teeth. If she really needs the braces now then I'll do it but I'm not convinced this is the right plan. I'll definitely get a couple more opinions first.

Hi Sandi :)
Both my brother and I saw braces fairly early. I got braces at about 10, but only had four adult teeth at the time (didn't loose the last of my baby teeth until high school when the dentist finally just pulled them). My mouth was very overcrowded when those first adult came in and I like to think that by straightening out my front teeth, it allowed my back teeth to get in line better so that the final braces process (once I had all my adult teeth) wasn't as painful. Also, the first set of braces only lasted about 6 months for me, and the next less than two years.

My little brother just got his first set of braces at about 8. Personally, I think it was a bit young. I don't know the specifics of his mouth as I was already in college when he got them. However, I remember thinking he seemed too young. Braces are painful. I am glad you're getting multiple opinions.

Good luck as you venture on this journey with your daughter!

I had braces before my adult teeth came in but it was only for a very short period of time. Also had an expander...now that thing sucked! Ended up having "real" braces when my adult teeth came in and I think I had those for 1-2 years and I was completely done with them by the time I was 13.

I'm no orthodontist, but in my opinion it was nice to have them done and out of the way with before I hit high school. 7 is probably a little early, but maybe they can do other things besides braces at this stage that would be cheaper and make the time spent with braces on the adult teeth less
This shit, right here, is OK

My daughter’s teeth were crooked at seven and straightened out beautifully on their own during high school. My son’s teeth were crooked and never straightened out. Now, after high school, he is using Invisaline and the process is working wonderfully with little to no impact on his appearance as you cannot notice that he is wearing them.

I had braces as a child. I’m not sure it was worth it in the very long run as I have no teeth now anyway:(

It can’t hurt to get several opinions and be somewhat conservative in your choices. Seven is still young.