NickDG

Winter Bike Project . . .

It was kinda like an early Christmas when my UPS guy showed up yesterday . . .

The frame is six up, four out, 40 degree neck with 5 degree trees, and ten over forks. I'm running Metzler 200 rear and 90/90 front tires. I'm mocking her up now and today I'll mount the forward controls and the front end. The fork uses internal fork stops I've never used before so I'll have to figure that out.

I'd like to go with a S&S motor and Baker six speed, but my wallet is leaning more toward a Harley Evo crate motor and a five speed. (If you hear of any bank stickups in my area, I swear, it wasn't me!)

And if any of you other builders have any unused stuff laying around let me know. I'm going to try and fab up my own solo seat (there's woman where ever you go so no use packing one around) but I need fenders, brakes, drag bars, and what not.

I'll check in again in about five years when it's done, LOL!

NickD :)

When I retire I plan on building my own bike. Until then I'll just watch others for ideas and try to control my jealousy. ;)
Have you checked out the goods from this shop? He's got some pretty cool stuff. www.yankeeengineuity.com/

HAMMER:
Originally employed as a weapon of war, the hammer nowadays is used as a
kind of divining rod to locate the most expensive parts adjacent the
object we are trying to hit.

Very nice lines and work on that frame!
Who makes that one?
I love a hard tail frame with a straight backbone!
Nice forwards too....
You can throw a twin cam in there for about the same money, there are "cross-over" mounts made to facilitate an install of one.
You're gonna need a jockey shift set-up.
LaBriola
;)
What kind of gas tank you thinking???

nice looking project - I'm green!
B|

I actually demo rode a Crossbones recently and that Twin Cam had plenty of grunt but I still think the Evo is the best engine the MOCO has made so far. And it's a lot more rebuildable than the Twinkie motor. I had a Shovelhead in the past and the EVO is enough of a jump in technology for me. And I think the TC motor will probably go down in history as the missing link between the old school Harley motors and the liquid cooled ones, which I'm pretty sure is what's coming next from York, PA . . .

Anyway, I made some progress today. I got the forwards on and the tires mounted. This being a low buck build I went at the wheels with soapy water and three tire spoons. Two hours later I finally had them mounted! The front wasn't too bad but the rear low profile tire was a bitch . . .

I got the tanks situated, going with 5 galllon Fatbobs, and now I have to fab up the mounts. I haven't welded in a while, and that's not like sex or skydiving, so I'll have to run some practice beads first. I notice a lot of guys now are running Villian style tanks but I gotta have my fatbobs.

Like I thought the internal fork stop has me stymied, so I couldn't get the front end mounted, and I so wanted to go rolling down my driveway this afty! But, I'll figure it out eventually.

For those that asked the frame is a Santee, and I had a Jockey shift on my Shovel (no front brake either) but I'm going footy shift this time. And yes I've watched some of those Chopper shows but I've always been a biker it's just that skydiving got in the way. And it's probably why I gravitated early on to the outlaw aspects of B.A.S.E. jumping.

I'm going back out to the garage now and open another beer and just stare at her !!!

Saweet!

Take a look at the RevTech 4x4 motor. I rode a softtail that had one...holy crap! That's a FAST motor. I've ridden stock HD, Screaming Eagle HD and some larger S&S motors before but wow, that 4x4 was cool.

Keep us updated with pictures as you mock and build. Looks like you're going to have a sweet ride when you're done! You know about Fab Kevin, right?
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

A Korean motor in a home built American V-twin????
What the fuck is wrong with you man?????

Seriously - no!

He's right on with the Evo! The comments about the lead-in to the water cooled Revolution series is also spot on! Why do you think they are maxing the hell out of the Twinkie anyway??? 110 from the factory????

What's the motor under your workbench for Nick?
Low pro tires ARE a bitch to hand mount aren't they???
Here in Florida - I prefer to mount them in the summer...put 'em out in the yard for about 6 hours, 90+ degrees, maybe a few beer cans to space the beads...and still need cuss words!

I love Fatbobs....notice my license plate???

ok - to everyone.

I'm not phat.
My name is not Bob.

My best friend was killed on his way home from Sturgis 4 years ago.
Byron.
Byron was a custom bike builder.
Byron had a few custom plates. "Fatbob" Fat-Bob" and "Phatbob".
His family gave those plates to his closest friends at his funeral (where we started the bike he died on!) and asked us to carry on for Byron.
I VERY FUCKING PROUDLY will carry that plate till I die.

thanks Squeak.
Love u 2 bro.
:PB|

ok - to everyone.

I'm not phat.
My name is not Bob.

My best friend was killed on his way home from Sturgis 4 years ago.
Byron.
Byron was a custom bike builder.
Byron had a few custom plates. "Fatbob" Fat-Bob" and "Phatbob".
His family gave those plates to his closest friends at his funeral (where we started the bike he died on!) and asked us to carry on for Byron.
I VERY FUCKING PROUDLY will carry that plate till I die.

thanks Squeak.
Love u 2 bro.
:PB|

I'll buy you some beers in a couple of weeks;)
You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

Got the front end on . .

My job is really getting in the way of progress, but no work = no parts, so oh well . . .

I decided to forgo the internal fork stops and just use the external ones since this front end was set up for both. I had to do some machining on the neck cups to get them to work but its good to go.

My garage is getting smaller, I went on a spree at Sears today and bought myself a free standing grinder/wire wheel and a good drill press. It's funny how the same kick you got as a young boy getting toys is now exactly the same with tools . . .

Tomorrow I'm going to build myself a poor man's wheel & tire balancer and start on two other projects that might work or might not. I'm going to try and build a taillight out of shot glass and also a round oil tank out of two cut in half fire extinguishers . . .

I've got a front fender coming in the mail. I'd rather go without one, but it will help stiffen up the front end. I'm also fabing up a rear fender out of a nine inch wide trailer fender that I bought online for 20 bucks, LOL.

Thinking about brakes now, and since I'm older and thinking of stopping more than going, they'll be big bucks . . .