NickDG

Winter Bike Project . . .

Ready for paint!!!

Dropping it off Saturday.

I'm half tempted to leave the struts they way they are (but clear coat them) same thing with the horn cover too.

Its all going to be flat black and thinking that the struts would look good against a black fender and seat.
LifeshouldNOTbeajourneytothegravewithawellpreservedbody,buttskidinsideways,cigarinone hand,martiniintheother,bodythoroughlyused upandscreaming:"WOO HOO!! What a ride!!!"

We're still waiting for the photos! Post 'em when she come home from the painter.

I'm going to leave my fender struts chrome too, and for the same reason, they'll look good against the flat black fender.

I've got Nina down to the bare frame now. There's rain in the forecast for later in the week but I'm going to gather the stuff for my hillbilly paint booth. You know four sided plastic hanging from the garage rafters!

Nina looks so naked!

NickD :)

We're still waiting for the photos! Post 'em when she come home from the painter.

I'm going to leave my fender struts chrome too, and for the same reason, they'll look good against the flat black fender.

I've got Nina down to the bare frame now. There's rain in the forecast for later in the week but I'm going to gather the stuff for my hillbilly paint booth. You know four sided plastic hanging from the garage rafters!

Nina looks so naked!

Go for a Black Satin finish instead of Flat matte black:)
You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

damn I thought I put a photo on that post. WTF!
Nick, you helped make up my mind. gonna leave the struts chrome!

I was planning on the satin black. matte looks like charcoal with no shine. doesn't 'pop' like the satin.

trying to attach the photo again.
LifeshouldNOTbeajourneytothegravewithawellpreservedbody,buttskidinsideways,cigarinone hand,martiniintheother,bodythoroughlyused upandscreaming:"WOO HOO!! What a ride!!!"

I was planning on the satin black. matte looks like charcoal with no shine. doesn't 'pop' like the satin.

Those struts look like they need more polishing, are they buff marks or is it the lighting?
You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

Those struts look like they need more polishing, are they buff marks or is it the lighting?

they will need to be buffed more. they will never look chromed so I will have to settle for the "brushed" look.

Hey you could even parkerize some of the parts, it looks pretty cool or makes an excellent base for the coatings.

What is "parkerize" ?

I really like the brushed look a lot better than chrome. But for it to work I think you need to do the rocker boxes, cam cover, trans case, fwd controls, everything that is chrome.

I saw one done up that way (flat black & brushed) on another forum and it looked tough as hell. It's a very utilitarian look!

If you aren't settled on a paint brand yet look into Hot Rod Flatz. If you don't want any "pop" this is it. I did Nina's front fender and a few smaller pieces and it goes on easy and it's tougher than most other flat paint you can get.

http://www.tcpglobal.com/kustomshop/ksflatz.aspx

When done it reminded me of that scene in "Spinal Tap" when Nigel says, "Could this be any blacker? No, none blacker." LOL

I really like the brushed look a lot better than chrome. But for it to work I think you need to do the rocker boxes, cam cover, trans case, fwd controls, everything that is chrome.

I saw one done up that way (flat black & brushed) on another forum and it looked tough as hell. It's a very utilitarian look!

If you aren't settled on a paint brand yet look into Hot Rod Flatz. If you don't want any "pop" this is it. I did Nina's front fender and a few smaller pieces and it goes on easy and it's tougher than most other flat paint you can get.

http://www.tcpglobal.com/kustomshop/ksflatz.aspx

When done it reminded me of that scene in "Spinal Tap" when Nigel says, "Could this be any blacker? No, none blacker." LOL

I stumbled across hot rod flatz a while back when i was first looking to paint it. Thanks for finding the link.

I would like to go with the brushed look everywhere, but i am not going to that with the chrome thats on there.

If I had a different bike and it didnt have much chrome I would definitely do that.

whats the best way to "brush" the struts? wet sand (800+), steel wool or something else?

I just went looking for a vid I saw of a guy doing a gas tank, but couldn't find it. I think the tank was stainless to begin with. And I think he did use steel wool. But the big point he made was to be careful anywhere there's compound curves. The idea being you are blending the strokes you make with the steel wool so it all matches up. So he masked certain areas, completed a section, then reversed the masking.

I just made that sound a lot more complicated than it was, so I guess on the your fender struts keep your strokes going the same way so you don't get any cross hatching. But I'm not sure you should start off with steel wool, you might need something a bit tougher to get through the first layers of chrome and down into the second layer which is tin or nickel or something? I think I remember him saying something about that if doing chrome.

Got anything laying around you could experiment on?

Meanwhile I'll keep look for the vid . . .

that does sound like a lot of work.
there are a couple of spots where the chrome is thin and showing the base layer (looks like copper). they are around the holes where the bags mount. but if its that thin already i would hate to burn through it and make it look like real shit.

Ill test using 400 on the bottom of the strut and go from there.
thanks

That was mighty funny Nick!

But, I gotta give the kid some props for trying that on a bike with a foot clutch!

If he had let the guys in front hold him up, he could have kept his left foot on the peg, and not looked quite so...lame.

"Now I've settled down,
in a quiet little town,
and forgot about everything"

What's wrong with young guys today? I wouldn't do burnouts with Nina, after all the work I just couldn't treat her that way, but if I did I'd know how. Front wheel up against an unmovable object, pavement under my rear wheel, and plenty of Bleach.

Not this way . . .

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N99KW4rnx7A

ROFL....Jockey shift burn out take a lot of practice , thsi is my old hoem bar, (it has since been closed by the city....Fuckers, it was the oldest Biker Bar in Dago , Dumonts)
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v400/onekick/6b0434ab.jpg
This was My addition to the burn outs, I did it coming threw the back door, and the only one of all of them, to have been done by a Jockey shift...I damned near ate it too!:D
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v400/onekick/1e780265.jpg

The rain stymied my painting plans, but I've got a week ahead that looks like sunshine and 70 degrees (boy, I love California) so I was on rust busting duty today.

Nina's fatbobs, which were rusty inside when I bought them two years ago at the Long Beach Cycle swap meet, took some effort to clean up. I put some gravel I bought at that local OSH store inside and tumbled them in the clothes dryer covered in old rugs. (I hope Julia never finds this thread as she told me not to do that in "her" dryer.)

I actually made an attempt to shake them manually but when the man boobs started jiggling I gave up.

I couldn't seem to get them 100% clean but I'll run double filters, one above the petcock, and one in-line to catch what's left. And I'm sure what gets through Nina will eat like an in-between meal snack.

She's all broke down for paint now and looking kinda sad . . .

Nick do those tanks have an internal filter?
the petcocks on all my bikes screws into the tank and comes equiped with a filter. plus i use an inline as well
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

The rain stymied my painting plans, but I've got a week ahead that looks like sunshine and 70 degrees (boy, I love California) so I was on rust busting duty today.

Nina's fatbobs, which were rusty inside when I bought them two years ago at the Long Beach Cycle swap meet, took some effort to clean up. I put some gravel I bought at that local OSH store inside and tumbled them in the clothes dryer covered in old rugs. (I hope Julia never finds this thread as she told me not to do that in "her" dryer.)

I actually made an attempt to shake them manually but when the man boobs started jiggling I gave up.

I couldn't seem to get them 100% clean but I'll run double filters, one above the petcock, and one in-line to catch what's left. And I'm sure what gets through Nina will eat like an in-between meal snack.

She's all broke down for paint now and looking kinda sad . . .

One word///Creme.............

gas tank liner, before paint is the BEST time to use it...protect against cracks too!

(Creme gas tank sealant, BTW!:D)

Dont use Creme, that shit lifts and flakes after awhile and you can only use it once.
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?