mdrejhon

[75% straight, 25% gay] Wanted to give BIG KUDOS to the amazing people @ Skydive Cross Keys for...

Never in my lifetime, I have not seen such amazing volunteers, all the straight girls and straight men at Skydive Cross Keys who really turning Rainbow Boogie (yes, that "gay" boogie) into Skydive Cross Key's most popular annual boogie.

They have out-marketed our boogie beyond our Rainbow Skydivers group. Lately in recent years, the straights significantly outnumber the gays at our boogies -- the Saturday night dropzone party/dance/banquet night was 75% straight people and 25% gay (GLBT) people. And everyone was still celebrating something rainbow related. (i.e. items sorted into rainbow colors. Like red shooters, orange shooters, yellow shooters, green shooters, blue shooters, purple shooters.)

Even though we were massively outnumbered by the straight guys/girls, we all blended in the party. The 2010 party was a huge success -- DJ's were supplied for 2010 including dance lighting equipment, and we supplied rainbow xmas lights (over 2,000 bulbs), several hundred glowsticks (bulk 1,000 glowsticks on ebay for less than $100 - we gave several for free to EACH person) and some fun stuff like the huge fake rainbow cake & the motorcycle hop through a flaming hoop (all on video, of course!). Cross Keys decided to make our boogie the main 'party' boogie of the year, and our advertising is mainly by word of the mouth -- ask anyone who's been there; it's been multiplying annually and now I'm doing less organizing work I did in the smaller event of 2006, thanks to all the amazing volunteers in RainbowSkydivers, and the straight volunteers too at Skydive Cross keys. While I still work hard to make it happen, I have not seen such an amazing willingness and self-sustainment of volunteers in my lifetime, ever -- big Kudos there.

Cross Keys ran 2010's largest one-day number of turbine loads during our boogie. Our boogies have tended to sort of become a collection of parallel events, each independently organized to delibrately coincide simultaneously on the same weekend, and then we all shared one big rainbow-themed party.

And, the people at Cross Keys are also respectful of the gay aspect and the need to recruit from our group, even as we are being massively overrun by the supportive straights. Cross Keys even set up a skydiving booth -- the world's first -- at the Philadelphia Gay Pride Parade, to recruit the local tandem market. Our RainbowSkydivers Facebook group supplied 2 to last year's 2010 boogie.

Thanks to all the straight volunteers, this is why we changed from a small originally-roaming boogie to a boogie currently making Skydive Cross Keys, during these last three years, the official home dropzone of our now consistently-annual boogie. (Though from time to time, we host unadvertised mini RainbowSkydiver meets/reunions/mini-boogies at other dropzones)

I would not be surprised that eventually, we may be 90% straight, 10% gay. (Do I hear the irony of Kinsey?) No matter, we're compensating to make sure that the gays still find each other & don't confuse the straights.

This year, I haven't announced our boogie on dropzone.com Events area (so greenies, not cross posting here; I'll let this thread serve as the official Rainbow Boogie thread instead) -- I felt it more appropriate to point out the real interesting (and humbling) trend of a gay boogie of being overrun by straight men/girls that's celebrating the mutual love of skydiving & a good party with us -- the topic matter of this posting is a huge thank-you to the volunteers who are making it all possible. (Too many to list -- I never got to meet EVERY single one of them!)

New to the sport and about to do my AFF and this will be my first boogie (of many) hopefully! It looks like a really fun event and I'm sure my partner will enjoy it as well though he won't be leaving the terra forma!

I'm trying to remember - to do sunset jumps do you have to have your Class B license or can you do that whilst still on your A? I've always wanted to jump out of an airplane in my underwear after seeing them do that in DeLand after a Tandem jump. Weird desire, but a strong one! haha

I'm glad the boogie was a success. I'm just not sure what I think about making a big deal over the division of people's sexual preferences. I know there are still issues out there regarding prejudices toward gay people. I'm just not entirely sure highlighting this stuff is helping. I like good people and hanging out with them. How they have sex only matters if I plan on being involved with that.

Anyway...glad everyone had fun.
I know it just wouldnt be right to kill all the stupid people that we meet..

But do you think it would be appropriate to just remove all of the warning labels and let nature take its course.

>I'm just not sure what I think about making a big deal over the division of
> people's sexual preferences.

I don't see it as too much different than the "Chicks Rock" boogie (highlighting gender differences) the Texas-jumper state record (highlighting geographic distances) or the POPS (highlighting age differences.) I think it's mainly just an excuse to get together and skydive.

>I think it's mainly just an excuse to get together and skydive.

...and party in an atmosphere where folks that might sometimes feel ostracized for being themselves know that can really let loose and be who they are along with many others doing the same. What better feeling is there than openly being who you are amongst a group of people who outwardly appreciate who you are at the same time.
Killing threads since 2004.

...and party in an atmosphere where folks that might sometimes feel ostracized for being themselves know that can really let loose and be who they are along with many others doing the same. What better feeling is there than openly being who you are amongst a group of people who outwardly appreciate who you are at the same time.

I think that's it right there. Gays have an uphill road in this world, and many of my gay friends feel the need to stay deep in the closet. I like it better when my friends feel free to be themselves. I must have really poor gaydar, though, because I've been oblivious about so many people for so many years. :D I guess it really doesn't matter, does it?

I do like Dave's comment that someone's sexual orientation doesn't really matter to him unless he's getting ready to have sex with them. :D

>I like it better when my friends feel free to be themselves.

Yep. Indeed, those 75% straight people might just end up being half straight people and half GLBT people who are still afraid to come out - and have finally found a place where they might be accepted.

Or not. But I'm glad such places exist.

GLBT people who are still afraid to come out - and have finally found a place where they might be accepted.

You are right. I know there were at least 6 closeted and mostly closeted men at the last boogie. But I already included this count in the 25%.

...One of the main load organizers for the gay group of Rainbow Boogie 2009 is a gay owner of a Canadian dropzone, where most working at the dropzone don't even know he is gay. He was 'out' at Skydive Cross Keys.
...Also, last year, we had a gay freefly organizer of a freefly team, who's sorta in the closet in the skydiving community.
...Also, there was gay TI too as well, who's in the closet in the skydiving community. To the point I actually didn't know he existed at Rainbow Boogie 2009, but only knew for 2010.

These closeted men opened up more at the boogie, though continue to remain discreet. Also, some in the closet in the skydiving world, are 'out' at home. But yes, I will not be surprised if there are even more closeted or bisexuals that I don't even know about, etc.

And yep, you're right about the (CHICKS | POPS | TEXAS) group. Though we're also a hetero-friendly group. Coincidentally, we got members of a Texas 4-way team coming (3 are RainbowSkydivers - 2 members and the video guy...)

New to the sport and about to do my AFF and this will be my first boogie (of many) hopefully! It looks like a really fun event and I'm sure my partner will enjoy it as well though he won't be leaving the terra forma!

I'm trying to remember - to do sunset jumps do you have to have your Class B license or can you do that whilst still on your A? I've always wanted to jump out of an airplane in my underwear after seeing them do that in DeLand after a Tandem jump. Weird desire, but a strong one! haha

Sunset jumps can be done on an A. It's night jumps that needs to be done on a B. DZ might oganize night jumps too. We had that at 2009, but there was a lack of interest in 2010.

HOWEVER, the underwear jump is already a Rainbow Boogie tradition! For underwear jump, there's an opportunity: The CK regulars designed a Rainbow Boogie special: a famous swoop-and-chug obstacle courses on the last load of Saturday.

On that specific load, four men went up in underwear in 2009, and seven dared in 2010, including A STRAIGHT MAN too (gadzooks), and IIRC, I believe a straight girl went lingerie. You landed accuracy as close to the course as you could, then you took off the rig, ran a foam obstacle course, balanced a bat on the nose, threw upwards a water balloon and caught it splat on your head, then slid on a slip-and-slide, then finally chugged a can of beer at the very end (or just poured on your head, if you preferred). Fastest time in the obstacle course won. A full Otter load did it, only one third was in underwear. This year there might be two loads volunteering to do the obstacle course.

For 2011 there might even have a separate, dedicated Otter load for the underwear jumpers this time -- separate Otter load for the straight men -- as two Otters and a King Air are flying at this year's Rainbow Boogie -- as probably will the biplane. I missed the King Air 22,000 foot morning jumps because I streched my neck ligaments in an abrupt Sabre opening, and had to sit out the remainder of the boogie.

corpkid, are you straight or a RainbowSkydiver? Either way, click the Facebook link from our website below and friend me/join the Facebook group and say hello there -- will be happy to keep you updated on the specifics of the boogie! I believe you're a new face, corpkid...

corpkid, are you straight or a RainbowSkydiver? Either way, click the Facebook link from our website below and friend me/join the Facebook group and say hello there -- will be happy to keep you updated on the specifics of the boogie! I believe you're a new face, corpkid...

I'm straight, but my boyfriend is SO gay! :P I'm very new here (waiting to start my T-AFF in a few days). I watched some of the videos of the boogie last year and it looks like a friggen' blast! I'll have to try and convince my VERY whuffo partner to at least try a Tandem ride!

On another note - did you say you missed the morning jump from 22k? I didn't know you could jump from that high using standard gear??? If so, wouldn't that more than double free fall time? And if so, why don't more DZ's carry you up higher (than the standard 13k-ish)???

I think that's it right there. Gays have an uphill road in this world, and many of my gay friends feel the need to stay deep in the closet. I like it better when my friends feel free to be themselves. I must have really poor gaydar, though, because I've been oblivious about so many people for so many years.

It's also a way to make it clear to the relatively large group of GLBT whuffos near the DZ that it's okay to come over and try skydiving. Many of that group may avoid what they perceive as a "testosterone heavy, straight male" dominated environment.

Kinda like staying out of the dangerous parts of town...

:|
Owned by Remi #?

On another note - did you say you missed the morning jump from 22k? I didn't know you could jump from that high using standard gear??? If so, wouldn't that more than double free fall time? And if so, why don't more DZ's carry you up higher (than the standard 13k-ish)???

Yeah, it almost doubles freefall time. Yes, you need oxygen in the plane for that, but you don't need special gear once you exit the plane as your blood will have enough oxygen. For CK's king air 22,000 feet loads, AAD is required, B license is reqiured, and you do have to go through a special oxygen briefing.

Remster, what about the straight men in the pink or purple jumpsuits?

Not that they're anything wrong with that....

I actually look rather good in pink!

I really miss having gay hall mates in university.
Those two gay guys were friends with the HOTTEST girls who on average would never talk to engineering students. But thanks to my gay friends, not only was I well dressed but they would introduce me to these very nice girls! :)
Life through good thoughts, good words, and good deeds is necessary to ensure happiness and to keep chaos at bay.

The only thing that falls from the sky is birdshit and fools!

Remster, what about the straight men in the pink or purple jumpsuits?

Not that they're anything wrong with that....

I actually look rather good in pink!

I really miss having gay hall mates in university.
Those two gay guys were friends with the HOTTEST girls who on average would never talk to engineering students. But thanks to my gay friends, not only was I well dressed but they would introduce me to these very nice girls! :)

Did you always have sand in your vagina, or is it a recent thing?
Remster

Did you always have sand in your vagina, or is it a recent thing?

Well I learned while living in Eureope to prevent this while swimming is to ware boy short Speedos.
Want pictures :)
But on a serious note, from the outside, do DZ's look really that bad? I think we, my home DZ, is a very inviting group of people.
Life through good thoughts, good words, and good deeds is necessary to ensure happiness and to keep chaos at bay.

The only thing that falls from the sky is birdshit and fools!

>I'm just not sure what I think about making a big deal over the division of
> people's sexual preferences.

I don't see it as too much different than the "Chicks Rock" boogie (highlighting gender differences) the Texas-jumper state record (highlighting geographic distances) or the POPS (highlighting age differences.) I think it's mainly just an excuse to get together and skydive.

I'll buy that. In that case, it's a good thing.
I know it just wouldnt be right to kill all the stupid people that we meet..

But do you think it would be appropriate to just remove all of the warning labels and let nature take its course.

On a side note.... some major developments about Rainbow Boogie 2011, all within the last 3 days:

-- CONFIRMED Fellow Rainbow Skydiver JUST PASSED FLOCK-U COURSE !!! (flocku website list will be updated shortly) Our dropzone approved this instructor and he is now approved by Skydive Cross Keys to do WINGSUIT INSTRUCTION -- William Onieal will be bringing wingsuits, and Cross Keys has two wingsuits for rental!
-- CONFIRMED Kirsten Johnson, the Gay Way organizer for Rainbow Boogie 2006, is coming back! RW fun jumps and possibly a new Gay Way World Record attempt, depending on attendance talent.
-- CONFIRMED Also have 4 other RW coaches and/or organizers (Michael Gamble, Ted Berry, Tim, and me) to fill in for the Rainbow Skydivers novices too, if attendance warrants, to avoid leaving our fellow novices on the ground.

All the usual Cross Key resident load organizers will be there, for all the straight jumpers too. Those of you who have gone to Cross Keys, already know them. And the annual Rainbow Boogie party (Saturday night) is starting to become famous, despite being mostly straight (even with all the rainbow colored dance lighting, the hundreds of glowsticks, the motorcycle flaming ring, and the 6-foot tall fake rainbow cake)...

Cool that they have checkable IDs for that... :)

Nah, no ID's yet, just a guess.

The folks at CrossKeys have been awesome. Warm and welcoming, and that way off the DZ too. I've run into many away from CK, and at other DZ's, and, the spirit holds. Always looking to jump, and, slot right in on big-way, 4-way, no matter what. Thanks guys!