quade

This vs Next

Having a great spirited debate with some friends about "this" versus "next" in relationship to time. As in, "What's happening next November?"

Does that mean November of 2011 or 2012?

So which is it? Is the "next" thing the one "coming immediately after the time of writing or speaking" like it says in my dictionary or should that one be "this" November and the one after it be "next" November?
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

Next November would mean November next year, hence Next November.

This November would maen November this year, hence this November...

If next November meant this November, it would be rather confusing to normal people...

Perhaps it would be easier to explain it in terms of alcohol...

If I have buy a Dos Equis, and, before I take a sip I tell the bartender that I'm gonna have a shot with my next Dos Equis...does that mean the bartender should immediately pour me a shot to take with this Dos Equis?
Your secrets are the true reflection of who you really are...

Next November would mean November next year, hence Next November.

This November would maen November this year, hence this November...

If next November meant this November, it would be rather confusing to normal people...

Perhaps it would be easier to explain it in terms of alcohol...

If I have buy a Dos Equis, and, before I take a sip I tell the bartender that I'm gonna have a shot with my next Dos Equis...does that mean the bartender should immediately pour me a shot to take with this Dos Equis?

Only if you are drinking with the most interesting man in the world.

I'm used to "This " meaning either the current or imminent one and "Next " meaning the one following that. It's most clear when the two are used directly in contrast in sentences like, "If I don't see you this weekend then maybe next weekend we can get together."

When someone says "Next..." and it's not obvious from context whether they mean the imminent one or the one following that, you can always ask for clarification. Or you could, you know, assume the person is an idiot and make fun of them.

You REALLY REALLY need to get out more Quade, you brought this dribble over from SC, it wasn't bad enough that you even had the argument there, that you felt the need to spread it to another thread:S
L A M E

You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

Well, I think we get do discount a number of folks here that had already weighed in for political reasons. FFS guys, this is just a little bit of word fun and trivia. Get over that.
quade -

The next November to come along is This November.

After all, if you want to catch the Next Lift you don't manifest for the one after that do you?

I don't expect too many people on that side of the pond to comprehend English proper like wot I do - seeing as how they keep getting the usage of Bring and Take completely wrong too.

(.)Y(.)
Chivalry is not dead; it only sleeps for want of work to do. - Jerome K Jerome

I just got off a long night shift and can't see straight or type for shit.

I think it comes down to wether or not the noun (November) is grouped (w/in a year). Like people at the ATM are not grouped, so "he is next in line" is refering to the person who is next, after the person who is currently at the ATM.

But when referring to days and months that are grouped together, saying "this November" means the November within this year (group). Where as "next November" means the November after this current Year's November, in the "next" group.

Does that make sense? :S

Only if you are drinking with the most interesting man in the world.

His Mother has a tattoo that says, "Next." :ph34r:

G. Jones

"I've never been quarantined. But the more I look around, the more I think it might not be a bad idea."

You REALLY REALLY need to get out more Quade, you brought this dribble over from SC, it wasn't bad enough that you even had the argument there, that you felt the need to spread it to another thread:S
L A M E

For once, the whiny rodent is right :P
Remster

I think maybe...just maybe, some of you need to stop and take a deep breath. (Although I replied to your post Remy, this isn't directed at you specifically.) Paul most definitely does NOT need someone to defend him, and that's not what this is about. It IS about a reality check.

I had more than a few good belly laughs reading some of his posts (in several different threads) last night. While reading through the threads, it occured to me that a great majority of the respondents seemed to either miss, or dismiss his particular brand of dry humor. Which btw, he intersperses many of his posts with liberally (note the example of dry humor there?).

There are any number of posters here who many consider extreme in some respect. There are posters who belabor their various positions ad nauseam, but guess what...when continually challenged on one's beliefs, and put in a position of defending one's convictions, this IS the proper response.

Keep in mind also that one can have a strong conviction and still have room for flexibility. At the risk of having this post deleted, I'll give two examples: Abortion; one may strongly oppose abortion for any number of reasons, and be vocal and active in promoting that belief, while at the same time honestly holding that it is an acceptable thing in cases of rape or incest. Firearms; some who are opposed to general rights allowing firearms ownership will concede that they can be useful in critical self defense situations; they nearly always trump a knife.

I disagree with a lot of paul's opinions, but then I agree with a fair amount of them too. The thing that some seem to miss is that regardless of his "Greenie" status, he's still allowed his opinions, and he's allowed to argue them as he sees fit, so long as he adheres to forum rules. How many members here have been known to cross-post on a subject? Paul's not the first, and he won't be the last.

So, as someone once said: "Lighten up, Francis." And maybe, if you can stand the shock, take a look in the mirror once in awhile. Do you look perfect? If you can honestly answer yes, well, try a long walk off a short pier, reevaluate, and repeat as needed.

G. Jones

"I've never been quarantined. But the more I look around, the more I think it might not be a bad idea."

Hi Paul,

OK, I'll bite: To me 'next Nov' means Nov '12.

As for shrop: It might mean Nov '11 to you blokes but since Paul did not mention 'where,' it is Nov '12 to most of us USA-Types.

:)

Now, how about this one: 'Monday week'

I first heard that when a First Sgt, from Texas, said it to me; I had no idea what the @#%* he was talking about. To him, it meant the Monday that is one week after the upcoming Monday.

:S

JerryBaumchen

BS.

"This" November can only be used if you are actually IN November. If you are in July, THIS is not November. the one coming up is next November.

If you are IN November you would say, "THIS November is a good one...a bit chilly but a good one nonetheless."
:P

Damn...couldn't you have picked a shorter month, say, next May?

My reality and yours are quite different.
I think we're all Bozos on this bus.
Falcon5232, SCS8170, SCSA353, POPS9398, DS239

And that is approximately the type of intent of the comment that started this whole thing, but damn some people can get their kickers in a twist over the the smallest and silliest of comments. They have no sense of humor whatsoever. Pity. I think language is fun. I think a lot of humor comes out of the ambiguity of it. I doubt Abbot and Costello would have had such a successful career if it didn't.
quade -

ROTFLMAO!:D

And BTW this whole thread reads like a "Seinfeld" script.:P
"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

ROTFLMAO!:D
And BTW this whole thread reads like a "Seinfeld" script.:P

So that makes Squeak who; Newman? "Hellooo . . . Newman."
quade -

And that is approximately the type of intent of the comment that started this whole thing, but damn some people can get their kickers in a twist over the the smallest and silliest of comments. They have no sense of humor whatsoever. Pity. I think language is fun. I think a lot of humor comes out of the ambiguity of it. I doubt Abbot and Costello would have had such a successful career if it didn't.

Who's next??

And I agree that way too many people take themselves way, way too seriously on here.
"There are NO situations which do not call for a French Maid outfit." Lucky McSwervy

"~ya don't GET old by being weak & stupid!" - Airtwardo