op5e

Travel with Rig (check in vs carry on)

I plan on travelling to a dropzone later in the year and wish to do it right. I know there are a number of different "travel with your rig" posts. However I have not really had my questions answered.

I will contact the APF tomorrow to find out what the current stance on taking rigs as carry on is. But lets assume I want to check in the rig. Will post here my findings.

I would like to ask:
*What size pelican case do people use?
*What gear do that put in it?
(one rig or two, helmets, how many suits)
*Is camera gear seperate to rig gear?
*What type of case do you use (manf/size)?
*If you had to buy a case all over again would you have got the same one?
*Do you use pick and pluck foam or do you use foam in a can?
*If you just fun jump how much stuff do you take with you to boogies?
*Do you place any documents on the top informing your contact details and proper handling procedures?
*Do you pay extra to insure it when check in?

Pretty much I know pelican cases last and would rather pay the extra money, unless someone has better alternatives.

I was looking at either the pelican 1610 or 1620 would these suit my needs of a mirage G3 [size m4/m5] (do not have it yet to measure). Will also have an oxygen helmet, alti, jumpsuit etc.. Should I make room for one more helmet (ff or camera). I know I am a while off but these cases can be expensive.

1620 Pelican - 56 cm x 43.2 cm x 32 cm
http://www.pelican.com/cases/3bo_1620.html

1610 Pelican - 56.3 cm x 43.5 cm x 26.9 cm
http://www.pelican.com/cases/3bo_1610.html

Samsonite hard cases
http://www.samsonite.com/au/en/local_product_selector_display.jsp;jsessionid=GBNRMV2PFM5ZJHQKY3ME24I

Qantas carry on limitations:

Length Height Depth Total
48cm (19in) X 34cm (13in) X 23cm (9in) = 105cm (41in)
56cm (22in) X 36cm (14in) X 23cm (9in) = 115cm (45in)
60cm (24in) X 114cm (45in) X 11cm (4in) = 185cm (73in)
http://www.qantas.com.au/info/flying/beforeYouTravel/baggageCarryOn

this will be an interesting post, i fly home to nz on thursday and am putting my brand new rig in a gear bag and checking it. A pelican case? i have never seen anyone use them for rigs, but i guess it would be safer.
I am putting my camera gear in my hard camera case with pick and pluck foam and going to carry it on. My helmet will get wrapped and put in my 60ltr backpack with all my clothes and my altimeter will also be in my camera case.

I am thinking this is the way to do it, as if they want to throw my gear around, i would rather them throw my rig around than my camera case.

Insurance? i would like to know how i do this and if i have to insure my rig, or will it be covered by my plane ticket?

The thing is, i would rather fly with my rig, cause i hate flying and would rather know that i have a little extra bit of a chance if the plane was going down, not much but i would definetley give it a go if the back ripped off like in the movies.
I want to be the guy that freaks all the passengers out, wearing my alti, sitting next to the exit door with my rig next to me:D

.Karnage Krew Gear Store

I travel with my rig constantly and always carry it on. I never check it since I don't want it poked or prodded without me there to supervise. The downside I can see from a big hard case like a Pelican (those cases are awesome btw) is that when you are flying on smaller commuter planes they won't fit in the overhead so you will have to check it at the gate. I check the rest of my gear along with my normal luggage.

Since I only travel in the US I always have the TSA/USPA documents relating to AADs available with my rig just in case there is a problem. (On the trip I just got back from I actually had to get multiple supervisors involved before they let me get through security and the docs really made it easy to plead my case.)

So, basically for small planes I just throw my rig over my shoulder and tie up the leg straps and carry it like a backpack. (I don't like to do this but my Mirage is so big it won't fit in the overhead in another bag.) For larger 737 or A380 type planes I have a soft-bag to put it in.
NSCR-2376, SCR-15080

Insurance?.. will it be covered by my plane ticket?

do a google search for : Warsaw Convention : 20USD per kg... so around 200USD for your rig... That's some kind of compensation...
scissors beat paper, paper beat rock, rock beat wingsuit - KarlM

I check my rig. This is how I do it - ymmv.

When checking in, go to the Oversize & Special Check-In counter. If you can't see it, ask a staff member.

When you get there, show them the Cypres letter available from the APF website and say that there's a parachute in the bag. They'll be all confused and call a supervisor. Then, once it's cleared, they'll mark your bag and send it on its way. No worries.

I travel with my gear quite a bit. I bought the standard size roll around carryon wthat is accepted by ALL the airlines( careful here.. some have smaller regulations than others.) I pack my rig and ALL the important stuff.. PANTZ... alti... gloves. Dytters... AND LOG BOOK as well as a copy of all the pertinent TSA and USPA intructions for carry on skydiving gear.
In a smaller bag( they allow a carryon and a small bag that will fit under the seat...) I put my camera gear and other important things I do not want in my checked in baggage just to curb possible thievery by baggage handlers. I have to check in my helmets in the checked bag because of space issues.

If you are traveling in the United States, be aware that check in baggage has to be unlocked when you check in. If you decide to check your rig ask that you be allowed to lock the case after it is screened. There have been several cases where rigs were check in unlocked bags and been tampered with and made unsafe (bolt cutters, probes shoved into the reserve containers, etc.).

I will be very interested how you go with it. I plan to fly with my rig in Australia sometime this year. I 've talked to various people at my DZ about it. Most of them carry it on in a gear bag.
The instructor who trains the AFF students said he gets questioned nearly every time and says "If my checked luggage gets lost and this is the only thing that makes it my destination, I'll still be happy." and that always works.
Another guy I spoke to said after they had checked it and he had cleared security a lady came up to him and said "Sorry, but I have to do a random explosives test". He said he wasn't convinced how "random" this test was.

i have traveled a few times with my rig. it's simple.
all you need is one of those little carry on roll suitcases that stand upright and fits just your rig and log book. i put all my other gear in with my checked luggage. its perfect cause you dont have to carry a heavy rig through the airport and it prevents things from getting bumped or pulled. i also do it that way just in case they lose my luggage. at least ill still have my rig, and thats all that matters! most airlines allow you one carry on (my rig in the suitcase) and 1 personal item (backpack or purse, etc), so its perfect. i bring along all the necessary paper work (cypres xray card and the letter to the tso). normally i tell the xray people i have a sport parachute rig and hand them my cypres card and most of the time its fine. sometimes they will take it out and do the swab thing. but the last time i traveled with it i didnt even mention it was a rig to them and that was that! not even a questionable look from them!

have fun! hope this helps you out some!

I have used different types travelling and its all about what want or need to take. I used the pelican 1610 when I went to Cal. I fit my G-3, Optike, Alt, Jump suite, log book and PC-105. It ended up being a vary tight fit and everything had to be in the right position or it wouldn't close. I also just used the 1650 when I went to the PIA in Jacksonville tons of room fits everything the 1610 did and would have been able to fit at least my still + another jumpsuite and Helmet and not have to pack it like I am doing a reserve repack, but thiers a down side to going bigger. The weight was at 63lbs with out the extra stuff ,but I did notice the baggage handlers didn't have a problem getting everything back in with out messing things up too bad ,or you can just carry it on if your concerned about them screwing with your stuff just make sure you bring some extra cypres cord to tie your reserve closed if they decide to pop it . Peace!

First I would like to thank everyone who has replied so far. I have recieved alot of good ideas and definately appriciate taking your time to respond.

I think I should mention I am in Australia and the TSA "carry on" rule may not apply here.

Also I have a bad habbit of getting picked by the speed cameras, overweight luggage etc.. So I try to follow the rules where possible.

As bob.dino mentioned there is a 7kg limit on carryon and I fear my rig will be over this. Also since I am in Canberra the normal plane is a "dash-8" which has a 4kg (9lbs) limit.

I have spoken to QANTAS over the phone and they said that they believe their policy does NOT allow parachutes to be on taken as carry on. The phone line was poor but I believe it was in the Operating instructions, about sporting goods. However I have not found similar on their site so I have requested the document. I have sent QANTAS and Virginblue an email requesting information on this topic and I will post here when I get a firm answer.

QANTAS states you can insure your luggage in cargo, it is done via QBE which costs ~$55au for a 5 day trip (full travel insurance). However this only covers luggage up to $3000au.
http://www.qantas.com.au/info/bookings/travelInsurance/index

In regards to a hard case by the sounds of it the pelican 1610 might suit my needs. I will have to borrow one when I get my rig and have a play. I will let everyone know what I find.

I travelled to the USA last year and had no problems with travelling my rig via South African Airways (our national carrier) to the US and in the US with Delta.

I put my rig in a gear bag all on it's own and put my jumpsuit, helmet and all the other stuff in my backpack. I checked it every time and when i did i was there to watch them xray it with the letter from the TSA in hand. No problem.

Advertisio Rodriguez / Sky

Even if you are from Aus still take the TSA letter. It is better than nothing and I've used in in trips from the UK to Australia and UK to USA.

A good piece of advice I got from the guys here was that if you ckeck it and get asked what it is be straight up about and say its a rig. If questioned about the cypress under no circumstances say it has a small explosive charge in it - say you've heard it fires electronically (you have just heard this from me). Ask for a supervisor if there are any concerns - they normally seen this before so should be cool with it. Finally - your not committing a crime so just keep your cool and be polite. I did this and even though I was stopped just about every xray, the rig went on without any opening etc. I think they can relate to me not wanting the thing out of my sight in case it got tampered with.

Carry one on in a bag (airline legal maximum - it fits in the tubular cage) and check the other.

With just one carry it.

Loosing both would _completely_ ruin my vacation and waiting through some manufacturer's backlog would be a royal PITA afterwards. This assumes that my home owner's insurance would cover it.

Hello, on the APF website there is a letter about your Cypres for traveling.

I attached it for you.

Enjoi...

In regards to your question, I would take it on and be ready to chuck it on and jump out if anything goes wrong. Because there's no such thing as a servicable A/C, I'll stick with the 2 on my back.

"If murder and suicide are illegal, then why is it ok to kill yourself and others with cigarettes?????"

www.myspace.com/Hypoxicmusic

How do you get around the weight/size limitations of carry on baggage in Australia? Have you ever tried to seek written approval to do so on Qantas or Virginblue?

Thank you for the CASA letter, I will include that in my arsonal when travelling. I do see the letter as a response to having a cypres onboard the aircraft (carry on or cargo) in response to CASA legislation section 23.

http://www.dropzone.com/cgi-bin/forum/gforum.cgi?do=post_view_flat;post=1363497

Again if I get a written response either way from the airlines I will let you know.

I am sorry to all if it appears I am being pedantic. However I have learnt alot from this thread (APF insurance etc..) and just like to know how others handle this situation.

Like has anyone placed "parachute" on the outside of the container when checking it in. I feel this will make my luggage more a target by screeners and theifs. However this is the recommendations by the FTA.

I haven't traveled with a rig yet so im not sure on the details. You might be able to pay extra to take more weight on board, but this might only apply to check in luggage.

"If murder and suicide are illegal, then why is it ok to kill yourself and others with cigarettes?????"

www.myspace.com/Hypoxicmusic

I think there are 2 schools of thought with taking it as hand luggage.
A) Put it in a gear bag, go through the x-ray and cross your fingers they don't weigh it. I've been through airports with various items that some x-ray operators aren't sure about (not skydiving stuff) and no one has said a word at several checkpoints, then go through again and someone does question it - just depends on the operator. Canberra are pretty lax, but melbourne are more likely to pick you up. Sydney can go either way, Hobart will pick you up if its slow and they are bored. (in my personal experiences)
B) Go the honesty approach. Say I have a skydiving rig, it weighs 9kg. I want to take it as hand luggage due to its cost and security issues. See what they say.
Either way if it is a dash 8, you'll have to check it. Virgin fly all 737s, it'd fit in those easy. Qantas have some 737 flights, just pick the right ones.
Good luck

Remember the 7kg carry-on limit.

Your rig may not pass. Mine doesn't - it's 9kg before it's put in a bag.

So is mine but I place it in a bag wioth a shoulder strap and I walk with it like a computer case. I've been thruough heaps or airports with no issues.:)Queensland however often give me greif, 'cause they employ brain dead F%$^tards>:(>:(
You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?