NWFlyer

Video Killed the Radio Star: Happy 30th "M"TV

In a move designed to make me feel really fucking old, MTV turned 30 yesterday. It brought back memories of those days, back when my neighborhood didn't even have cable, so the only time I got to watch MTV was when I visited my grandparents in another state (they did have cable). I still remember my uncle walking into the living room and saying "You watching that crazy music channel again, huh?"

Now, of course, I occasionally drive a rental car with satellite radio, and Martha Quinn et. al. are the DJs on the 80s station, not the hippest kids on the block on that new "crazy music channel." And of course, MTV hasn't played music in years.

First videos played on MTV: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/First_music_videos_aired_on_MTV
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke

I have fond memories of the "old, REAL" MTV as well. Although I'll admit I can't tell how much of it is actually how cool MTV used to be and how much of it is just the rose-coloring that suffuses all musings on my childhood.

I wonder if I'd still like it as much if it magically appeared today as it did in the past. In all honesty, given my distaste for popular music nowadays, I probably wouldn't give a hoot for it.

I wonder if they could make money airing the old recordings of MTV with the old music, old VJs, and old MTV spots (i.e. the astronaut with the psychedelic flag) with new commercial funding? Probably not, not enough of us old geezers left. It'd be cool to see though...

I can't remember the last time I watched ANY MTV channel.

FUNNY STORY TO INTERJECT: Picture it: Panama City Beach, Spring Break 1997 (IIRC). We were all out poolside, using a two story beer bong to get drunk while simultaneously risking perforating our esophagus from the high-pressure flow of beer. Because, you know, that's cool. Bill Bellamy and an MTV camera crew comes rolling through, at which time the beer bong crew (quickly followed by the entire hundred or so people poolside) try to convince Bill Bellamy to hit the beer bong. The whole hotel is cheering him on, and he must have gotten the subtle shake of the head from someone in the crew because while he was going to go for it, he quickly changed his mind. After he refuses, it takes all of about a minute for the entire hotel pool area to start chanting "Bill Bellamy sucks!" over and over. I have never seen three guys haul ass so fast while carrying about two hundred pounds of camera gear. Ah, misty, watercolor, drunken memories.

Elvisio "What I learned in college" Rodriguez

I can't remember the last time I watched ANY MTV channel.

For me, probably not since Daria was cancelled.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke

In a move designed to make me feel really fucking old, MTV turned 30 yesterday. [/url]

God Dammit! That means I'm 46.

Damn, I remember cutting school, getting stoned, and watching MTV at 16 at my friends house and knowing my ass was in trouble when I got home ;)
__

My mighty steed

Remember Remote Control and the original Real World?

Liquid Television, which introduced us to Beavis and Butthead and Aeon Flux.

AlTV

The Grind

The Thriller video.

Ah memories. B|

Stupidity if left untreated is self-correcting
If ya can't be good, look good, if that fails, make 'em laugh.

The few times I had cable to even watch it I got sick of it. Hard as hell to actually catch them when they were actually playing music videos. VH1 was a little better for a while then went downhill. I do still mostly like VIVA out of europe though.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Rap is to music what etch-a-sketch is to art.

God Dammit! That means I'm 46.

Damn, I remember cutting school, getting stoned, and watching MTV at 16 at my friends house and knowing my ass was in trouble when I got home ;)

Ditto with pretty much every part of that right down to the age. Well except I wasn't much worried about being in trouble when I got home.
Experience is what you get when you thought you were going to get something else.

AC DZ