skymama

Do vacations make you happier?

According to this article in the NY Times, the anticipation of the trip might positively affect your level of happiness more than the actual trip itself. I found this to be interesting and true on some level. On some trips, I wish I hadn't gone at all! Thoughts from anyone else? Do you find this to be true?
She is Da Man, and you better not mess with Da Man,
because she will lay some keepdown on you faster than, well, really fast. ~Billvon

hells yes it does! I love the feeling before I trip! I'm going to Maine in a month & I can't freakin' wait! I'm so excited about it, that even my busted up leg from this weekend isnt bringing me down. I just keep reminding myself that it'll be all healed before my awesome vacay so I shouldnt worry about it. B|

I'm going to have to agree with that. Just thinking about what you are going to be doing on that vacation makes me happier. Though, with my line of work, I would rather take a short in length of a vacation rather than a long one.

I would come back and have piles of email to go through. Just what I did when I came back after my AFP.

I hear skydiving in Central America does wonders for Skymamas...

I won't be able to make it next year. My daughter has decided to get married in March. Her wedding=my vacation money. [:/]
She is Da Man, and you better not mess with Da Man,
because she will lay some keepdown on you faster than, well, really fast. ~Billvon

I love the feeling before I trip!

That's the feeling of not knowing that you're about to be a klutz and trip over something?
"I may be a dirty pirate hooker...but I'm not about to go stand on the corner." iluvtofly
DPH -7, TDS 578, Muff 5153, SCR 14890
I'm an asshole, and I approve this message

Anything that takes me out of this shithole that I work makes me MUCH happier.

I'll be happy to trade you shitholes, (i.e. jobs, not locations).:P
"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

Interesting question.

Anticipation is great, making the plans, thinking of friends you'll see and fun you'll have. But there's packing, parking, planes and stress ahead. I think everyone's had trouble sleeping the night before a big trip, especially when it's an early morning departure.

On the trip, the cool things going on are always mitigated with the little hassles; luggage, hotel check ins, delayed flights, security lines, etc. But when you're walking thru the Vatican, swimming in the moonlit surf in Costa Rica or landing your canopy on a beach in Thailand, it's hard to say you're not having the time of your life.

Coming home, unpacking and slipping back between those familiar sheets is a whole 'nother kind of happy. A let down? Maybe for some. I'm fresh back from LP and on load #3 of laundry and sorting thru a stack of mail. But it's fine to be back to my regular life.

The memories sometimes make you the happiest. The small hassles and inconveniences fade away. Lost luggage becomes something to laugh about, and good times last forever in your head. I love scrolling thru old vacation pictures and remembering all the great times with friends and family.

It all depends. Last vacation I took was absolutely fantastic till I had to get on the plane and come home. It was a very different situation and there was a different bit of anticipation before hand, but the actual time gone far exceeded the anticipation. I had a wonderful time with amazing company :)

Actually going back in a few weeks ;) Hopefully soon after will be going there and NOT coming back ;)

She is not a "Dumb Blonde" - She is a "Light-Haired Detour Off The Information Superhighway."
eeneR
TF#72, FB#4130, Incauto

Hopefully soon after will be going there and NOT coming back ;)

You will be notifying all your stalkers of the change-of-address, right?:|
"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

Already have it. Cameras are due to be installed shortly. :P
"I may be a dirty pirate hooker...but I'm not about to go stand on the corner." iluvtofly

I love our vacations. They absolutely make me happier. I don't feel like vacation is the only time I'm happy: I love my job and my life. My wife and I are both SCUBA divers and since she doesn't jump our vacations are pretty much exclusively SCUBA trips. Every time we go, we talk about not coming back home. We talk about ditching it all, and trying to make a go of living in some place like the Caribbean. We have The Plan. We're trying to be smart about it, and it's not going to happen relatively soon (probably a 5-10 year time frame) but I'd just about bet my life that one of these days it WILL happen. Until then, we'll get our blue water in one week increments.

Elvisio "Jimmy Buffet songs and suntan lotion" Rodriguez

Now why would I make it easy on them? The hunt is half the fun, right?
She is not a "Dumb Blonde" - She is a "Light-Haired Detour Off The Information Superhighway."
eeneR
TF#72, FB#4130, Incauto

According to this article in the NY Times, the anticipation of the trip might positively affect your level of happiness more than the actual trip itself. I found this to be interesting and true on some level. On some trips, I wish I hadn't gone at all! Thoughts from anyone else? Do you find this to be true?

I like time off, but I hate vacations and trips.
I have a VERY busy schedule when I'm not at work between fitness and nutrition routines, skydiving, playing in a band, etc.

Vacations disrupt a very delicate balance which usually takes weeks to re-establish.
__

My mighty steed

Coming home, unpacking and slipping back between those familiar sheets is a whole 'nother kind of happy.

I just tried a trick a friend told me - put fresh sheets on the bed before leaving for vacation. Makes the return that much sweeter. It sure was nice to come home from LP to nice, clean sheets!
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke

It is if the vacation is long enough to actually get mentally into vacation mode.
If the vacation takes up more time to pack and unpack it that actually be gone it better be some place really really awesome.
Pictures make all trips better.
Be patient with the faults of others; they have to be patient with yours.

I am sure there will be a couple of people around tech savvy enough to hose up your cameras ;)
eeneR
TF#72, FB#4130, Incauto

I am sure there will be a couple of people around tech savvy enough to hose up your cameras ;)

It's not that hard just spray paint the lens :D no tech savvy needed.

Ah yes, but he would notice that to quickly ;) a feed override and he would not notice they had been tampered with :)
eeneR
TF#72, FB#4130, Incauto

Ah yes, but he would notice that to quickly ;) a feed override and he would not notice they had been tampered with :)

That's assuming you find them all :P