Tiger6513

New Baseball World Record

Whats up all, haven't been round here in a while but I just wanted to share this with anybody who will listen lol
Two weekends ago 27 determined athletes (myself included) took part in Breaking a Guinness Book World Record by playing one baseball game for 48 hours 32 minutes and 45 seconds. The record had previously been set at 48:09:27 in St. Louis by 40 players. This record was no easy feat, the two team’s red and blue, each sponsored by the Rutland Country Store, and had to start playing in the rain Friday July 29th. Within the first 8 hours Mother Nature had surprised the teams with a really dense fog that followed the rain from Friday evening. As the batters addressed home plate and made contact with the incoming pitch every player in the field would crouch down and take cover under their gloves until the familiar thud of the ball landing sent the "all clear" for the game to continue.
"It was magical to play in such dense fog under the lights" says one of the athletes at the Barre Rec. Field in Barre Vermont. Each of the two teams struggled to find motivation and energy to complete the mission of playing over 48 hours of baseball. Saturday morning with each hour that passed the teams grew weaker and more exhausted. It was 24 hours into the record attempt when it seemed as if a wave of enthusiasm shook the field, "we knew this would be a turning point" and it was indeed. The record was bound to fall with the determination of this group, and on Sunday July 31st in Barre Vermont a new Guinness World Record was set. 27 of the original 29 players did what in 2009 40 players had done, played over 48 hours of America’s favorite pastime.

Links to other press: http://www.burlingtonfreepress.com/article/20110729/SPORTS/110728025/Group-out-break-record-longest-baseball-game?odyssey=mod

http://abcnewsradioonline.com/​national-news/baseball-lovers-​hope-to-break-world-record-for​-longest-game.html

http://ireport.cnn.com/docs/DO​C-644184?ref=feeds%2Fcategory%​2Fusworld

http://www.therepublic.com/vie​w/story/d64e3dac2d02426288022e​97475a6acb/VT--Longest-Game-At​tempt

Have a great day,

Tony
Travis Roy Foundation. At very least its a tax write off

"PUT me IIIInnnn Coach"!!!B|
"i'm Ready to plaaaaay" ! TODAY !!!":)
"look @ Meeeeeeee
I can beeeeee
Centerfield!!!"
J Fogarty.. C C R

great game. we played all the time as kids....

Did the umpires get to take a Break?... If you notice at a Major league game.,.. they seldom leave the field...

"PUT me IIIInnnn Coach"!!!B|
"i'm Ready to plaaaaay" ! TODAY !!!":)
"look @ Meeeeeeee
I can beeeeee
Centerfield!!!"
J Fogarty.. C C R

great game. we played all the time as kids....

Did the umpires get to take a Break?... If you notice at a Major league game.,.. they seldom leave the field...

I'm sure they do, like the 7th inning stretch. Been at least 8 years since I last attended a MLB game.
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

I feel for the spectators who had to go 48 hours of yelling at the ump for making bad calls. Lotta hoarse people, I bet.

:D:D

whaddayameanump?
That pitch was so far outside it had to buy a ticket to get back in!

My reality and yours are quite different.
I think we're all Bozos on this bus.
Falcon5232, SCS8170, SCSA353, POPS9398, DS239

"Kill Him"
"Kill the Umpire,"!!!
shouted someone on the stand " :o
"and it's likely they'd HAVE killed him, had not Casey raised a hand":o
With a sign of Christian Charity, great Casey's visage shown.
He stilled the rising tumult...
He bade the game go On. :|

He signaled to the pitcher and once more the spheriod flew.
But casy STILL ignored it,,,:S
and the Umprire said "Strike two " ..>:(
"Fraud "!! cried the maddened thousands, and the echo answered "Fraud " !!!"
but one scornful look from Casey and the Audience was Awed..
They saw his face grow stern and cold they saw his muscles strain, and they KNEW that CASEY wouldn't let that ball go by, again...;)

And NOW...
the pitcher Holds the balll...
and NOW ..
he lets it go ...
and NOW ...
the air is shattered by the F O R C E of Caseys' Blow !!!!!:o:DB|

Ahhhh somewhere in this favored land
the sun is shining bright.
A band is playing somewhere and somewhere hearts are light..:)And somewhere men are laughing and somewhere children shout.:D
But there is NO JOY in Mudville...:|
Might Casey.....
has struck out. !!![:/]:(:(........Ernest L Thayer

It was awesome, painful, amazing, and really long. All 27 of us that finished (2 left Sat night) have similar stories but here is my brief play log... 16 hours of play, 4 rest (3 I slept) then 11 hours of ball, 2 of sleep then I caught for 14 hours and 45 mins for my last "shift". I got to bat over 140 times, and we played 200 innings. Each umpire (registered) had to work 4 hour nonconsecutive shifts and sign in and out of a log book. We had to have official witnesses rotate every 4 hours as well. We had to keep a scorebook (ugly looking by the end lol) and all of this just to satisfy Guiness... oh and we had video of the whole event with the official score clock in the frame of the video, again Guiness req. What a blast we had, and holy hell were we a sad looking bunch by the end, but we did it.

Probably 200 or so from the right side, I went 11 for 15 lefty though! My brother is getting the book in order so I won't know officially till he does. After a while we literally just hit the ball and if it was anywhere near an infielder we just turned around and sat down, we were supposed to have 40 players and we only finished with 27, we were toasted