regulator

Being outsourced

Two months ago the company I work for decided it would be a fantastic idea to get rid of the entire shared services division (including IT) and outsource all of our jobs to India. At least they came out and let us know it was going to happen rather than just showing up to work one friday and them telling me "hey guess what...you just got served!" So now I have to accept another job (well I dont HAVE TO) but it prevents me from getting back into the job search mode and hitting the bricks. They just called and gave me a 'soft offer' regarding the pay...initially they wanted to lowball me but I refused to take a pay cut. I guess it worked out because I'll be making the same as I am at Intertek, and get a 15% retention bonus for my time. But I'm wondering if this is the best plan of action. Perhaps I could find a better offer out there, but I guess I feel a bit lazy going this route...but I guess its like what they say 'A bird in the hand is worth two in the bush'. Anyone else out there been outsourced?

Are you being asked to commit to a certain amount of time if you accept this new offer? If not, what's the downside of taking it and continuing to keep your eyes open for another opportunity?
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke

I've been kept in the dark until just today. Their 'GO LIVE' date is the 25th of this month so they'll need to make it happen rather fast. But I'm taking the job, but perhaps because this is the first time Ive been outsourced it feels strange...like Ive got a job and never interviewed (literally) but its not necessary because they can ask my supervisor about my quality of work.

They're slowly outsourcing / offshoring all of the IT staff where I'm at now. What they're doing a lot of as well is "onshoring" -- bringing in Indians to work here. That displaces U.S. citizens, but the H1B visas keep flowing.

From what I see, it's a shortsighted way to save money. Let's get rid of the senior people and bring in junior people from offshore. We'll save all kinds of money. Well, you get what you pay for. We spend so much time training these people and having them redo their work.

I'm glad I'm closer to the end of my career versus the beginning.

Intertek is still in business? They stiffed a my friend for $40K, and a bunch of others, then closed up shop in California. I see her corporations have been suspended / forfeited in California.
There are battered women? I've been eating 'em plain all of these years...

Absolutely take the gig you can get NOW.

You're in a far better position with a gig and looking for an even better one than without one at all.

and NWFlyer's post

Are you being asked to commit to a certain amount of time if you accept this new offer? If not, what's the downside of taking it and continuing to keep your eyes open for another opportunity?

This. Or rather, these. Absolutely, these.

Actually, from the rest of the thread it sounds like you made what I feel is the right choice. Nowadays, a job in the hand is worth two in the bush. By all means, feel free to keep looking, but hold on to any job you have while you look.

Elvisio "have my dream job, will do anything to keep it" Rodriguez

From what I see, it's a shortsighted way to save money.

Without getting into SC territory, that is -all- some people at some companies care about because their their pay next quarter is directly tied to how much money they save the company in this one. The exact same thing can be said for; politicians in elections, salesmen, you name it. Long term planning isn't exactly what "we" do well here in the US.

Mammet was an optimist. Second place isn't a set of steak knives. There are no steak knives, only pink slips.
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

Intertek is a global business and they are supposed to save 25% out of 500 million anually to outsource us. But I cant wait until Billy Bob from BFE in Coonass, Lousiana tried to speak with rajnesh from india. I'm sorry but bumfucked coonass acccents dont mesh with THANK YOU COME AGAIN. But as far as screwing your friend over...well they just handed over 250 people the 'pink slip' if you wish so it doesnt suprise me.

Intertek is a global business and they are supposed to save 25% out of 500 million anually to outsource us. But I cant wait until Billy Bob from BFE in Coonass, Lousiana tried to speak with rajnesh from india. I'm sorry but bumfucked coonass acccents dont mesh with THANK YOU COME AGAIN. But as far as screwing your friend over...well they just handed over 250 people the 'pink slip' if you wish so it doesnt suprise me.

THOSE SOB's! Are you freaking serious! See this is why I can't own a gun....too many dead people!
$5 says it will cost them more!
That being said...STAY!
Best way to look for a job is to have one!
Life through good thoughts, good words, and good deeds is necessary to ensure happiness and to keep chaos at bay.

The only thing that falls from the sky is birdshit and fools!

Am I missing something, because this sounds like you're making out pretty well here - 15% bonus an taking a different job at the same company without a pay cut?

Times is tough, so I'd take the job. Much easier to get a new job if you have one already, much harder to get chiseled on salary, it looks good that they'll pay to retain you, and, well, they'll pay to retain you...

Off-shoring means they need some good folks here to go train 2-4x as many folks abroad who each get paid a pittance. Then, when customers complain that "Suzie" from Bangalore takes forever to help, doesn't solve the problem, and can't understand their accent, they'll send the trainers there a few more times, paying 2x overtime, etc, before eventually giving up and moving any critical function back to the US. Enjoy the ride, and don't stay abroad so long that you lose currency.

T

Sucks you're getting outsourced. Sorta surprised they are doing it now as alot of companies are moving back as the wages in India are going up so the direct cost savings is dropping.

Outsourcing is more expensive, partially because companies do it so badly. in all aspects from what they choose to outsource (the old POS internally developed but no longer supported app that the experts struggle to keep running vs. the current vendor supported one) and the way they do it (hiring and training/retraining directly so dealing with turnover vs. project based contracts for set time periods with bonuses for early completion and penalties for late.)

However, their incompetence is what's always kept so many of us employed. :)

Stupidity if left untreated is self-correcting
If ya can't be good, look good, if that fails, make 'em laugh.

>But I cant wait until Billy Bob from BFE in Coonass, Lousiana tried to speak with
>rajnesh from india.

Well, on the other side of the coin, I don't think Abu calling from the Quicki Mart in Springfield will have much better luck with Billy Bob the call center employee. (Although I also bet that Rajnesh and Billy Bob would choose less typecast names for their "personas.")

That sucks. One thing I'll never have to worry about is my job being outsourced to another country. Of course it generally never lasts more than a few years but why would you stay at one place that long? ;)

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Rap is to music what etch-a-sketch is to art.

But I cant wait until Billy Bob from BFE in Coonass, Lousiana tried to speak with rajnesh from india.

Well, I just talked to Billy Bob a few minutes ago and he said he doesn't give a shit since he doesn't own one of them computer dings, donchya know. On a more serious side, I am so glad I got out of IT 8 years ago.... I'm glad for the training, knowledge and certifications from the experience, but being tied to a server or programming at 2:00 AM in a little cubie was so outside my personality.

And, what the others have said it true... pick your time and your terms while you have the revenue stream. It may even be time to reinvent yourself and take the time to really pursue another passion. If that passion remains in IT (well, God bless you for that)... but another area, another level, another path? good luck.
Nobody has time to listen; because they're desperately chasing the need of being heard.

Oh Billvon....I wasnt just talking out my ass regarding those names...The guy I had to train for the past two months to do my job is named rajnesh. And there literally is a coonass dude with probably 3 teeth in his mouth from Houma, Lousiana. And I have a hard time understanding what the hell he's talking about... But I understand this is just a part of business. I've spoken with 4 different people who all work at different places and 2 of the companies tried it and it failed miserably...to which they are now hiring new IT staff and the other two already re-hired a new IT department already. I guess the board of directors cant differentiate the difference between saving money now vs saving money later from a better quality of product.

But I cant wait until Billy Bob from BFE in Coonass, Lousiana tried to speak with rajnesh from india.

Well, I just talked to Billy Bob a few minutes ago and he said he doesn't give a shit since he doesn't own one of them computer dings, donchya know. On a more serious side, I am so glad I got out of IT 8 years ago.... I'm glad for the training, knowledge and certifications from the experience, but being tied to a server or programming at 2:00 AM in a little cubie was so outside my personality.

And, what the others have said it true... pick your time and your terms while you have the revenue stream. It may even be time to reinvent yourself and take the time to really pursue another passion. If that passion remains in IT (well, God bless you for that)... but another area, another level, another path? good luck.

------------------------------------------------------------
Well the crappy part is that I started my career in Telecommunications and after the dot com bubble crashed back in the early 2000's I had to transition my career to IT. Damn I wish I had enough money to get 400 jumps or so and get my AFF license. But I wonder if I would enjoy skydiving as much if I had to do it all the time.

Intertek?

Mmmmmm yea, are they gonna need you to work on Saturday?:S

Ah! Yeah. It's just we're putting new coversheets on all the TPS reports before they go out now. So if you could go ahead and try to remember to do that from now on, that'd be great. All right!

That sucks. One thing I'll never have to worry about is my job being outsourced to another country.

Nope, just being SENT to another country. :P
"I may be a dirty pirate hooker...but I'm not about to go stand on the corner." iluvtofly
DPH -7, TDS 578, Muff 5153, SCR 14890
I'm an asshole, and I approve this message

>Oh Billvon....I wasnt just talking out my ass regarding those names

I don't doubt it. (Although I always get the woman with the nearly impenetrable accent who says "hello so I am Cindy and what is the problem I may be helping you with?")

To be honest its happened a lot in the Uk for a number of years now a lot of companies outsourced to India. With really poor results for customers as well as customer retention as well as security on some industry levels. Recently i read a few companies and left and decided to reverse their decisions.

My Job was relocated by a American company in Feb to supposedly save money although the plant i worked in had a better production and quality output than the Irish one. We where told that it would mean a saving to transfer that plant across and run production there, turns out they had to rebuild a part of the plant as it was too low for the machines to fit ? some saving . Think the Irish government was still giving them a grant where as the UK withdrew theirs which swung the whole thing. Not bothered to be honest i did get another job with in 3 weeks and a good payoff but then had my bike accidentB| so i have to wait to get back to work. Its just one of those things that companies do but it rarely works out cheaper in the long run except on the quarterly balance sheet to investors long term its short sighted

Billy-Sonic Haggis Flickr-Fun

I would absolutely stay, as in this economy any paycheck is better than no paycheck. AS it was also stated, its easier to find a job while you are still employed.
Fortunately, I'm adhering to a pretty strict, uh, drug, uh, regimen to keep my mind, you know, uh, limber.
--- The Dude ---