skydiverkeith

New Mirage ad...

“No one really buys a rig because of the advertising they put in the magazine” … so, why bother running an ad then? Isn’t the whole purpose of advertising campaigns to raise awareness with the consumer?

As for your disappointment with the implied realization that today’s skydivers aren’t a good sport when it comes to things dirty (i.e. sexual), it seems you haven’t “heard” anything that was said in those “complaints” – it’s not the sexual innuendo that has most of us offended … there is no clever disguise in that message … it’s flat out cheesy [:/].

Lastly, using the “rushed/busy” excuse for the grammar error on a one sentence message is … how did you put it? … “rather ridiculous” :)
What saddens me about all this … most likely I’ll end up buying another Mirage, just because I take comfort in my familiarity with it. I just won’t wear it as proudly after all this negative press …

O

I wish i had your problems!:S Seriously? you look at an ad in a skydiving magazine and get OFFENDED? Grow up and get a life! If an ad like that offends you, you should not hang around the (any) dz after hours!

Ward, I have jumped Mirage's but have never owned one, I would not hesitate to buy one today but not because of your ads, but because it is a great container! Keep up the good work. As the marketing director for my own business, you did your job, we are all talking about a Mirage;)

Never look down on someone, unless they are going down on you.

I think the ad is aimed at the same target as all those Axe ads for body wash and men's smelly stuff. Is it tasteless? Not really. Will it sell me a rig? Probably not, but it did get my attention. Is it funny. Yeah, I think so. You gotta know they're not serious, right?

The ad is not designed to SELL rigs It's designed to get more people saying the name Mirage.
Getting it into the vernacular more often.
The ad served its purpose beautifully.
The poor grammar, even if in error, also has peoiple saying Mirage.
Win Win for them.
You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

I'm a woman, I'm a jumper and I'm not offended -in the least. The ad suggests easy sex...but it doesn't promote violence or stealing or lying- so its all good. I agree with Brains its a funny/enticing ad that has everyone talking about Mirage. Way to go Ward- now drop your pants- cause I'm buying a MirageB|

Again and Again....face to face with the sky - RMR

I think the ad is aimed at the same target as all those Axe ads for body wash and men's smelly stuff. Is it tasteless? Not really. Will it sell me a rig? Probably not, but it did get my attention. Is it funny. Yeah, I think so. You gotta know they're not serious, right?

My wife loves AXE comercials... :):ph34r::D
Livin' on the Edge... sleeping with my rigger's wife...

That't too not to. I think the spelling/grammar bug is catching on. :P

I'm a woman, I'm a jumper and I'm not offended -in the least.

Me too. I'm also a card-carrying feminist (well, at least used to be -- my NOW membership lapsed).

Too much offended reaction just gets people's eyes rolling.

But yeah, the spelling gaffe kind of bugged me :P

Wendy P.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

the crowd that made up the skydiving population was a bunch of lighthearted people that had a sense of humor and liked a good laugh now and then, where has that crowd gone? I really think people need to lighten up and realize that it's just an ad in a magazine, nothing more.

We're still here. The overwhelming majority of us do have a sense of humor. Hell, I thought I had a warped and twisted sense of humor...until I met the people at my DZ. I think your ads are awesome. Keep them coming. (There's your caption for the next ad.;))
How can I be so thirsty when I drank so much last night?

That's too not to. I think the spelling/grammar bug is catching on. :P

;)
"I may be a dirty pirate hooker...but I'm not about to go stand on the corner." iluvtofly
DPH -7, TDS 578, Muff 5153, SCR 14890
I'm an asshole, and I approve this message

Personally, I thought the ad was funny. If a skydiver gets offended at the dropped panties next to a rig - they should got put on some slacks and take up golf.

As far as bitching about spelling... Well, this whole sport is quite informal - look at the manufacturer reps in the "Don't be that guy" video - they swear, show some nakedness and make fun of some of their potential visitors.

It's skydiving, dammit ! - this is the playground where adults can act as kids. Can't handle it ? - Unbunch your panties and move on to competitive basket weaving or to a book club.

That't too not to. I think the spelling/grammar bug is catching on. :P
that wasn't a grammar mistake... merely me missing an "o"...
Livin' on the Edge... sleeping with my rigger's wife...

Again, I liked the ad, it made me laugh. I even showed it to my wife, and she laughed too.

But I still ain't buying one because I can't afford it, unless I won a 50% discount at a boogie. :P

"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

Hello All,
I rarely get on here to say anything as it usually just ends up in everyone bashing anything we say, good or bad.

But.....this ad has seemed to create a lot of controversy and I wanted to chime in on it.

I am in charge of creating and publishing our advertising. If any of you know me I am a lighthearted person with a good but off sense of humor. When I joined this sport it was full of people that could laugh at a dirty joke and then tell one even dirtier. That's what I loved about the sport. I see so many boring ads in the periodicals and I refuse to be boring when I advertise our rigs.

Let's face it, no one really buys a rig because of the advertising that they put in the magazines, they already have their minds made up for the most part and read the magazines for pure entertainment. That is why I try to make the ads entertaining and lighthearted, for the entertainment value. True, I do want Mirage to be a topic of conversation and to stay on the tips of peoples tongues and it seems to have worked quite well with my advertising campaigns.

To OlympiaStoica.....I am not targeting only male jumpers. If you recall I have done ads featuring the badass female flyers in our sport that jump Mirage in ads as well. We appreciate the females in our sport greatly and in no way are singling out our demographic just to males. However, as a smart marketing man it is silly to not realize that 90 percent (or close to it) of our sport is male dominated so it's just simple logic to target the largest part of our buying market.

To make your buying decision based on our advertising campaign seems pretty ridiculous to me. It should be based on our products and services. Our ads and the products we produce are two separate worlds. The team that builds our rigs take great pride in the outstanding product that they produce and I don't want my somewhat edgy sense of humor to detract from the outstanding product they make. Like I said, they are two different worlds.

As for this last ad..... I have gotten a lot of hate mail on it. I've even been asked for a full refund on a 4 year old container because they were embarassed to wear the rig in fear that they thought people would think they bought a Mirage so women would drop their pants. Thats one of the more ridiculous ones.

The ad was just a tongue in cheek ad that was meant to get a chuckle and keep us on the minds of our jumpers.

There is a term in today's social networks called "panty droppers". For example, a Ferrari is a panty dropper because it's such a damn cool looking car and it makes the women go crazy. That's what I meant by the ad. That the Mirage is such a sexy rig it is a "panty dropper". I in no way meant that it will help you get in girls pants.

It saddens me to hear some of these replies because when I got in the sport almost 13 years ago the crowd that made up the skydiving population was a bunch of lighthearted people that had a sense of humor and liked a good laugh now and then, where has that crowd gone? I really think people need to lighten up and realize that it's just an ad in a magazine, nothing more.

If I have offended anyone by the ad I apologize, but I do not apologize for continuing to stay edgy and running entertaining ads and I will not quit doing that.

And yes, I did misspell a word in the ad, it was late and I was on the boogie circuit and was under a deadline and fired it off before I got much of a chance to proofread it, my bad.

Thats my two cents worth everyone, it wasn't meant to single anyone out or to offend, it's just keeping our sport fun like I remember it being.

I would appreciate anyone that has nice things to say regarding the ad to drop an email to [email protected] to offset all the complainers.

There, that's my two cents worth. Don't let the advertising campaign affect your buying decision, if you need to be mad at someone be mad at me, not the hard working people of Mirage.

Let the bashing begin.
Ward

I agree with Ward on this one. buy a mirage for the product and services. Dont not buy one because you dont like the ad or ward for that matter when the ad will be forgotten by a new off the wall ad in less than 30 days. wake up people! if you like the ad great, if you dont tear the page out and stick it on the table and move on.

D

"I've even been asked for a full refund on a 4 year old container because they were embarassed to wear the rig in fear that they thought people would think they bought a Mirage so women would drop their pants."

Dude, I have never met you but we need to track down this guy and bitch slap him until he hands over his man card.

+1 (and I'm a chick!) :D:DB|
See the upside, and always wear your parachute! -- Christopher Titus

Shut Up & Jump!

You guys/girls are missing the whole point. Companies have the freedom to make their ads as offensive and tasteless as they need/want. There is no question that the Mirage ad is tasteless for skydiver with good taste and the appreciation of fine art. :)The main point is that such ad does not belong in the Parachutist, the industry's member magazine. The editor/s of the exclusive organization magazine should have higher standards for ads. The panty ad belongs to magazine like Blue Skies, subscription based magazine with more casual attitude towards skydiving.

4DBill
http://4dbill.com

I'm a woman. I have about 650 jumps on my Mirage and I love it. I thought the ad was funny. I'd probably buy another Mirage, but not based on the ad. :P I just wish they'd release their version of the Skyhook.

Enemiga Rodriguez, PMS #369, OrFun #25, Team Dirty Sanchez #116, Pelt Head #29, Muff #4091

Sure the ad was sexually suggestive. No "worse" than lots of things these days. And "Parachutist" isn't exactly a magazine that's commonly available to kids. For parents, it's up to them to control what their children read if they don't like something. And this ad is a lot more classy than the one from a few years ago of a chick in a moldy bathtub full of hot dogs.

Link: http://www.dropzone.com/cgi-bin/forum/gforum.cgi?post=1246028;#1246028

anybody seen the Cypres advert in European magazines ? (don't know if you have the same in the US mags... ) :):)

Well post a bloody pic of it>:(
:ph34r::ph34r:
You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

anybody seen the Cypres advert in European magazines ? (don't know if you have the same in the US mags... ) :):)

Well post a bloody pic of it>:(
:ph34r::ph34r:
will ask my french friends to send it to me. Might take some time :o
scissors beat paper, paper beat rock, rock beat wingsuit - KarlM