airtwardo

~The Worlds Greatest Airshow

1. I oughta get a couple of skydiving buddies from Tulsa and meet you up there next year.

2. I have been that up, close and personal with a plane crash like that and them folks in the front row that did not move back when they were told have zero clue as to what kind of explosion they almost witnessed thru their assholes.
Nobody has time to listen; because they're desperately chasing the need of being heard.

first vid is beautiful

2nd one is sad... and expensive...

I was talking to the Falcon driver a couple hours after he plowed the field, said he lost hydro press and with it the brakes & steering....poor guy had 3 cell phones in his hands. :S

He wasn't happy, feared he'd be flying a BMD for a while.
(Big Mahogany Desk)

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

first vid is beautiful

I was talking to the Falcon driver a couple hours after he plowed the field, said he lost hydro press and with it the brakes & steering....poor guy had 3 cell phones in his hands. :S

(Big Mahogany Desk)

Probably, after all, he fucked up a what, $15 million plane? :S What outfit did the plane belong to? Some maintenance records need checking...
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

I don't know how serious you are about that.

18/36 at OSH is very long. Like 8000'. They lengthened it back in the late 80s for the Concorde.
"There are NO situations which do not call for a French Maid outfit." Lucky McSwervy

"~ya don't GET old by being weak & stupid!" - Airtwardo

first vid is beautiful

(Big Mahogany Desk)

Probably, after all, he fucked up a what, $15 million plane? :S What outfit did the plane belong to? Some maintenance records need checking...

One of the Harriers had a hydro problem too...but didn't bend it any, he wasn't going real fast. ;)

18/36 at OSH is very long. Like 8000'. They lengthened it back in the late 80s for the Concorde.

I was being somewhat sarcastic... to have two planes being flown by what I'm sure are very well qualified people roll off the runway, within a few hours...
"I may be a dirty pirate hooker...but I'm not about to go stand on the corner." iluvtofly
DPH -7, TDS 578, Muff 5153, SCR 14890
I'm an asshole, and I approve this message

I was being somewhat sarcastic... to have two planes being flown by what I'm sure are very well qualified people roll off the runway, within a few hours...

Ok. But I'll question how "well qualified" they are if they overrun an 8000' runway (although I realize the F-16 lost it's brakes).
"There are NO situations which do not call for a French Maid outfit." Lucky McSwervy

"~ya don't GET old by being weak & stupid!" - Airtwardo

Ok. But I'll question how "well qualified" they are if they overrun an 8000' runway (although I realize the F-16 lost it's brakes).

Well, more than me!:D
"I may be a dirty pirate hooker...but I'm not about to go stand on the corner." iluvtofly
DPH -7, TDS 578, Muff 5153, SCR 14890
I'm an asshole, and I approve this message

Well, more than me!:D

The F-16 didn't lose his brakes. That one was 100% pilot error. The F-4J Fury that ran off did lose his.

you didn't read Twardo's post about his discussion with the Falcon driver, did you ?

Yes. I also know the pilot gave different excuses to different people. Everything from the brakes failed to the canopy was fogged over. I also talked to a friend that is currently flying F-15s after flying 16s. He looked at the videos and said that one, he landed hot. Then he kept the power on too long to carry the nose high further down the runway. Once he finally set the nose down, he was at the point of no return and was going off the end no matter what condition the brakes were in. Also, normal procedure calls for the pilot to put the throttle in idle detent once on the runway, and then hands off the throttle until clear of the active, or until a burst of power is needed if you slow too much. If you watch the video closely, as soon as it runs in the grass and hit the hole, the nozzle movement indicates that the throttle has been moved to a high power setting. He still had his hand on the throttle and when he got thrown forward in the cockpit, he moved the throttle to a high power setting. I'm just glad he didn't punch out. That would have been a mess.

[r

holy crap! that would take me like 1.5 minutes to do a flyby down the runway in my trike! :P

Jim, many of the fast movers steal the show but you cannot beat this one for showing what some real power can do...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lQyGd6F2SKI&feature=fvwrel

I don't think anyone would have volunteered to be within the "cone of death" (Mc Nuggets anyone?);)

If that was a C-5M it was 200k lbs of thrust getting that off the runway so quickly

its good but i hope the jumper had someone to catch the flag
Look out for the freefly team, Smelly Peppers. Once we get a couple years more experience we will be a force to be reckoned with in the near future! BLUES!

He still had his hand on the throttle and when he got thrown forward in the cockpit, he moved the throttle to a high power setting.

Or the fly by wire box took a beating when the nose broke off...;)

Either way from some of the vids on the net, he looked to be coming pretty hot for that part of the runway.