The_Don

Pulitzer photos. WOW!

I've seen many of them before. Of some I know the story, of others I don't, but wish I did.

Also seen most of them before.

I cant help but think,
If i were in the same position would I be clicking away or helping where i could?

(not saying they didn't, but moments in time can easily be misconstrued)
You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

I often think that journalists must have to battle a lot of demons in cases like that. Because as a journalist, your job is to capture the moment in it's rawest form, and not get yourself involved.

But I'm sure that there are many cases where they live with the thought of "what if I had put down the camera and actually helped."

I'm sure the thought of "Well at least if I capture the image and get it published it will perhaps help in stopping something similar in the future" helps a little bit.

The guy who took the photo of the little kid with the vulture waiting for the "MEAL" , killed himself..... They say he was never the same after that picture..http://www.flickr.com/photos/nostri-imago/5000121934/in/set-72157623484633083.

edited to add link.

I often think that journalists must have to battle a lot of demons in cases like that. Because as a journalist, your job is to capture the moment in it's rawest form, and not get yourself involved.

This gallery has several of the photo's from the original link and some others, with background info on each photo.

For instance the 1991 photo, "The Human Torch" - Soweto. South Africa: Its not yet dawn when Greg Marinovich and Associated Press reporter Tom Cohen stumble onto a gunfight between supporters of the African National Congress and the predominantly Zulu Inkatha Freedom Party. A train pulls into a nearby station; a Zulu man, Lindsaye Tshabalala, disembarks. "He could have been returning from a night shift or making an early start to visit friends," says Marinovich.

ANC youths seize Tshabalaia. "They began to stone and stab him. I watched in shock as he fell to the ground." The assault intensifies; finally, "a man hauled out a massive, shiny Howie knife and stabbed hard into the victim's chest. My heart was racing and I had difficulty taking deep enough breaths. I called out 'Who is he?’ ‘What’s he done?’ A voice from the crowd replied. "He's an Inkatha spy."

When Marinovich tries to argue, the attackers insist he stop taking pictures. Marinovich says, "I'll stop raking pictures when you stop killing him." The brutal attack continues. "For those crucial minutes, it was as if I lost my grasp of what was going on. The pictures I kept mechanically snapping off would later substitute for the events my memory could not recall."

The Zulu now lies motionless on the ground. Marinovich is momentarily drawn away by an attack on another man. "Suddenly, I heard a hollow 'whoof’ and women began to ululate in a celebration of victory. Dread filled me. The man I thought dead was running across the field below us. His body enveloped in flames. A bare-chested, barefoot man ran into view and swung a machete into the mans blazing skull as a frantic young boy fled from this vision of hell."

Marinovich makes it back to his car. "I pulled over and. closing my eyes, began to beat the steering wheel with my fists. I could finally scream."

Do you want to have an ideagasm?

Bit full on, isn't it!

When people talk about helping or not I think it's important to bear in mind how much danger some of these photographers can be in just by being there.

That AND...in journalism you are taught that either you are reporting the story or you are part of the story. You can't 'ethically' do both, or you are using your position/access to change what's happening.

That's why the paparazzi tabloids usually don't report actual NEWS, many of those people help create what they are recording.

It's a fine line and anyone learning journalism as a trade has classes regarding the ethics and where that line is.

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

Bit full on, isn't it!

When people talk about helping or not I think it's important to bear in mind how much danger some of these photographers can be in just by being there.

No shit: http://www.nytimes.com/2011/04/21/world/africa/21photographers.html
"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.