SansSuit

Fascinating 1936 Footage Of Car Assembly Line

I'm struck by:

1. How sophisticated the assembly lines were back then.

2. The huge opportunity for a human to get hurt by being in the wrong place at the wrong time.
"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

I'm struck by:

1. How sophisticated the assembly lines were back then.

2. The huge opportunity for a human to get hurt by being in the wrong place at the wrong time.

This is what it looks like when it is all working smooth. I'm betting that there was a fair amount of down time for maintenance and/or breakdown.
Peace,
-Dawson.
http://www.SansSuit.com
The Society for the Advancement of Naked Skydiving

I'm struck by: 1. How sophisticated the assembly lines were back then. 2. The huge opportunity for a human to get hurt by being in the wrong place at the wrong time.

Lots of fingers and hands. OSHA did a lot of good in regard to reducing factory injuries. Many of the workers thought they were interfering.

Chuck

Monotonous, mindless, repetitive, endless work. No, thank you. I'll keep my job.

I did notice that even back then the press operators had to push two widely spaced buttons to make the equipment work, thus insuring that one of their hands could not be in harms way.
"For you see, an airplane is an airplane. A landing area is a landing area. But a dropzone... a dropzone is the people."

Hi Bob,

I did notice that even back then the press operators had to push two widely spaced buttons to make the equipment work, thus insuring that one of their hands could not be in harms way.

I have been in many factories ( yes, some even here in the good old US of A ) in which the operator has a rock or brick holding down one switch while he operates the machine with the other switch.

B|

JerryBaumchen

The cinematography really struck me. Large format, wide open lens, great angles, dollying, jibs...that would have cost a lot back then.

Probably all CGI. ;)
Peace,
-Dawson.
http://www.SansSuit.com
The Society for the Advancement of Naked Skydiving

I can't imagine how loud it must have been working in those factories. I have used a few pieces of industrail equipment that run on flywheels. One of them running is loud enough, but a whole assembly line :S

Have you seen my pants?
it"s a rough life, Livin' the dream
>:)

real men didnt need ear-protection back then.. :P

WHAT DID YOU SAY???

I said ... Time for coffee break! DIDJA HEAR THAT?!?
"For you see, an airplane is an airplane. A landing area is a landing area. But a dropzone... a dropzone is the people."