TrophyHusband

Is there still a DZ in Mount Vernon, Wa?

USPA shows nothing. Google comes up with a few different DZ names but all at the same air field. DZ.com shows a DZ called Jet City but their website says "coming soon". Can anyone give me the scoop on skydiving there? (Wife is looking at a job there.)

"Your scrotum is quite nice" - Skymama
www.kjandmegan.com

No there is not. Perhaps sometime in the future there could be something, but I wouldn't get my hopes up.

If you move to that area the closest choice would be Skydive Snohomish. There is also Skydive Kapowsin in Shelton but that's a bit of a drive from Mt. Vernon.

"Life is a temporary victory over the causes which induce death." - Sylvester Graham

USPA shows nothing. Google comes up with a few different DZ names but all at the same air field. DZ.com shows a DZ called Jet City but their website says "coming soon". Can anyone give me the scoop on skydiving there? (Wife is looking at a job there.)

I think that is reflective on what is happening just off the Swinomish Reservation near Anacortes... tree clearing last I heard... the VIEW.... she RAWKS up there:)

How is fishing (salt water and fresh water) and hunting (deer and elk) in the area? Do i have to go very far?

Depends on the species.. lots of black tails in the Cascades... mule deer on the east side of the Cascades and over in NE WA in the Selkirk’s.. and BIG white tails over along the Pend Oreille River and all down thru wheat country AKA the Palouse. Plenty of Elk in the Cascades just east of the DZ.. usually Roosevelts... and over in the Olympics outside of the Park, with plenty of Rocky Mtn Elk on the east side of the state by I D ho.

Close to Mt Vernon...for fishing... you have plenty of samming runs to choose from.. an ANY of the rivers that go into the Olympics or Cascades... now seasons.... differ wildly from year to year depending on how many pet sammings the various hatcheries want to get as a return.. be prepared to get a law degree to read and understand the WDFW sport fishing regulations..... eeeesh.. too many sub areas.. with too many closures that you have to stay VERY on top of to avoid closures and tickets. Bottom fishing in the sound and the Strit of Juan De Fuca.. can be good.. but again the rules vary from area to area. I just go out to the Not So Pacific Ocean side.. and to the Columbia.. I got a 30 pound Chinook yesterday afternoon and a 20 pound Holibutt the Friday before. Other peeps on my boat... caught limits of silvers.;)

Oh forgot the fresh water fishing... what is that... this time of year there is no fresh water.. too many fish fucking in it.

No kidding about the regs. This last summer I got clams and oysters from Dosewollips (3 times), halibut from Sekiu, crab from Puget Sound, shad and salmon from the Columbia (28 pounder on 12 pound test line and light rod I put out trying for steelhead, too many fins so he had to go back), Kokanee in Yale Resevoir (south of Mt. St. Helens), and an unsuccessful attempt at trout in Coldwater Lake (north of Mt. St. Helens. I've read through the book dozens of times, but there are still some gray areas.

Three years ago I would have asked you if you threw that 20 pound halibut back (we would have), but this year we were happy to get 20 pounders.

I used to maintain the gyros on the ferries so I've spent a lot of time riding them around the San Juans, but other than that I haven't spent any time in that area of the state. It really wasn't on our radar until my wife got an email about a job there.

This time next year we will almost certainly be out west, we're just not sure where yet. If my wife stays in the Air Force, we'll be getting orders to Alaska. If we decide to get out we'll likely be moving to Washington. The two jobs the we'll really interested are in Mount Vernon and Port Angeles. I'm ready to move back home.

www.kjandmegan.com

No kidding about the regs. This last summer I got clams and oysters from Dosewollips (3 times), halibut from Sekiu, crab from Puget Sound, shad and salmon from the Columbia (28 pounder on 12 pound test line and light rod I put out trying for steelhead, too many fins so he had to go back), Kokanee in Yale Resevoir (south of Mt. St. Helens), and an unsuccessful attempt at trout in Coldwater Lake (north of Mt. St. Helens. I've read through the book dozens of times, but there are still some gray areas.

Three years ago I would have asked you if you threw that 20 pound halibut back (we would have), but this year we were happy to get 20 pounders.

I used to maintain the gyros on the ferries so I've spent a lot of time riding them around the San Juans, but other than that I haven't spent any time in that area of the state. It really wasn't on our radar until my wife got an email about a job there.

This time next year we will almost certainly be out west, we're just not sure where yet. If my wife stays in the Air Force, we'll be getting orders to Alaska. If we decide to get out we'll likely be moving to Washington. The two jobs the we'll really interested are in Mount Vernon and Port Angeles. I'm ready to move back home.

It all depends on the area and the quota's... it used to be 30" was the smallest.. now its anything you can catch in Area 1, which is Cape Falcon to Ledbetter Point. It has the lowest quota of all of the WA Marine areas. We went out 28 miles for the day hell we were in tuna territory almost. I caught a larger flounder... but now.. you can only keep Black Cod or sable fish if you are holibutt fishing, all other species have to be thrown back.. which is very stupid because when you haul up rockfish from 800'+ they are pretty much dead from the pressure change. You can no longer retain Canary or Yellow Eye Rockfish because of their being threatened... but any you drag up from 800 ft... yep.. DEAD.[:/][:/] What a waste[:/][:/]

I think I screwed up on that trip.. I got a HUGE black cod that gutted weighed 26 pounds.... I mean this thing was Deadliest Catch black cod huge.... I should not have gutted the damn thing.. I think I blew off a state record>:(>:( I knew it was big.. but the thought of a record did not even cross my mind ( the state record is only 30 pounds and this thing had a LOT of gut and gills that I had already tossed overboard).. but I REALLLLY wanted it pristine.. they are very good smoked.

For rockfish you are now limited to fishing for bottom fish in 120 ft of water or less... so that you can release the little pet fish. Crabbing in the Sound... mmmm yeah.. Thanks.. I will pass and stick to going out on the ocean or in the Columbia.. I got my spots.

My dad is getting old and won't go across the bar any more so we go up to area Sekiu. We used to fish in 300 feet of water. People said "fuck that", but when we were the only ones coming back with fish, we started to see other boats. We then started going to 600 feet of water. People said "fuck that", but we were coming back with fish. This year there were a lot of people fishing in 600 feet. For some reason there were a shit load of arrowtooth flounder and skate. I caught a skate that we estimate was around 150 pounds.

We normally crab in the Columbia, but my cousin lives in Federal way and invited me up for a day on the boat. It was fun, but it was more about drinking and being on the water than crabbing.

If I move out there, you'll take me out for TUNA! right? I'll buy the beer. They still sell Hamm's Lite up there, right?;)

www.kjandmegan.com

My dad is getting old and won't go across the bar any more so we go up to area Sekiu. We used to fish in 300 feet of water. People said "fuck that", but when we were the only ones coming back with fish, we started to see other boats. We then started going to 600 feet of water. People said "fuck that", but we were coming back with fish. This year there were a lot of people fishing in 600 feet. For some reason there were a shit load of arrowtooth flounder and skate. I caught a skate that we estimate was around 150 pounds.

We normally crab in the Columbia, but my cousin lives in Federal way and invited me up for a day on the boat. It was fun, but it was more about drinking and being on the water than crabbing.

If I move out there, you'll take me out for TUNA! right? I'll buy the beer. They still sell Hamm's Lite up there, right?;)

DUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUDE.. lite beer REALLLLLLLY????

Tuna is on the menu for sure... either Ilwaco or from Westport. As always each year is different depending on surface water temps in the ocean. A few years ago it was very warm out there and we were catching Albacore 15 miles off of Ilwaco and a guy caught a freaking marlin that year.. off the coast of WA. Numerous people damaged their boats by hitting Moa...friggin things were all over.. drifting along on the current and hanging out on the surface.

It is a looooooong trip out, 30 to 60 miles...I need to add a couple saddle tanks to the Chris Craft to make sure I always have the fuel...100 gallons goes fast when you go that far. I also need to work on a more efficient prop... 4000 RPM on a Mercruiser 5.7 should get me a tad more speed.. that or scrap the Paragon transmission and go with a Velvet Drive.

How is fishing (salt water and fresh water) and hunting (deer and elk) in the area? Do i have to go very far?

MMMMMMMM fresh chinook samming for din din.. right now.... MMMMMMMMMMMMMMM

And I got it right near Chinook WA:)

GAWD I love this stuff:)

A few more pics from the great Northwest.

We got some good things going on up here, don't we?B|

We've got sunshine and temps in the mid 70's forecast for this weekend's Leap for Lupus event. It's gonna be perfect. To all the rest of the country sweltering in the heat, come on out and play with us. :)

Believe me, I did NOT want to leave to go back to disgustingly hot Florida. The school district here changed the kids' school start date from Aug 5 to Aug 22. I tried to get our flights changed so we could stay longer, but it was going to cost $1400. Oh well, only one more year of this place.

www.kjandmegan.com