Hvance

D-bag flip causing step through?

Had a step-through yesterday (uneventful after a controlability check). I didn't pack this one, so I can't say whether it was packed that way or not. An instructor (popsjumper) had mentioned that the d-bag might have flipped through the lines on opening causing the same problem. How might that happen? A rare, random occurrence or caused by specific things?

My deployment sequence felt normal. Canopy inflated in ~3-4 seconds. Was stable belly to earth.
I wish Google Maps had an "Avoid Ghetto" routing option.

It seems unlikely that it would flip through the lines on opening, the drag from the pilot chute should keep stop that from happening.

However, I have flipped the dbag through the lines while packing. It's easy to do when you're putting the bag in the container if you're not paying attention.

If you had a step through malfunction and you're sure the packer did a 3-line check, that would be my bet.

_Am
__

You put the fun in "funnel" - craichead.

I am pretty sure that problem was caused at the packing. The most important check at the packing is the line check. I speculate that a line check has been done and looking OK while the risers under the pack at the 3 rings level were turned side way out by 180 degrees including the rig "shoulders". If the risers/rig shoulders had been well placed under the rig, the lines check would have revealed the problem. A case of a mistake hidding another one.;)

Learn from others mistakes, you will never live long enough to make them all.

A wise old man once told me, "pack your own rig kid, you get out what you put in".... Pretty good advice, packers are for the lazy!

I usually do pack for myself. That packjob was at the end of a boogie and I was tired. And now I see what happened... :P

A wise old man once told me, "pack your own rig kid, you get out what you put in".... Pretty good advice, packers are for the lazy!

I usually do pack for myself. That packjob was at the end of a boogie and I was tired. And now I see what happened... :P

This wasn't packed at the farm last weekend and had a card on the rig that says something similiar to:

You're welcome for the free packjob. I was drunk and blindfolded though, good luck!

was it?:):D
"I may be a dirty pirate hooker...but I'm not about to go stand on the corner." iluvtofly
DPH -7, TDS 578, Muff 5153, SCR 14890
I'm an asshole, and I approve this message

This wasn't packed at the farm last weekend and had a card on the rig that says something similiar to:

You're welcome for the free packjob. I was drunk and blindfolded though, good luck!

was it?:):D

Haha, no. Someone else had that one..Travis maybe? That packjob opened fine I think. B|

Had a step-through yesterday (uneventful after a controlability check). I didn't pack this one, so I can't say whether it was packed that way or not

It takes 1 second from pilot chute toss to line stretch.

It was packed that way. There's simply no way it was packed correctly and it flipped through during deployment. Try and imagine how the pilot chute could have pulled the bag out of the container then have it flip through, it can't do it. Do it on the ground and you'll be certain it was packed up that way.

The packer failed to perform a simple check to determine if the lines were correctly oriented. Luckily it was a flip through and not a step through one riser group. Whoever is allowing him to pack there needs to have a discussion with the packer.

It's rather interesting flying with twisted risers isn't it?;) That's an easy one to deal with. A step through a riser group would have almost positively resulted in a cutaway. The simple line check would determine either one.
My grammar sometimes resembles that of magnetic refrigerator poetry... Ghetto

On opening.....while threotically possible, it's highly unlikely given that the PC would have to be pulled through too.

Rolling the bag through while packing is much more likely.
We talked about that.
My reality and yours are quite different.
I think we're all Bozos on this bus.
Falcon5232, SCS8170, SCSA353, POPS9398, DS239

or for the busy who would rather be skydiving than packing :P
---------------------------------
www.skydiverustenburg.co.za
www.skydiveqatar.com

Honesly I doubt it. Rolling the bag through while packing takes a special kind of awareness.

I'll try to roll it through a few times myself to see how awkward it is.

Actually, it could be done with a specific unawareness....

IF as you put the d-bag in the container, you lay it down on the bridle, then pull the bridle up the the side, it could be under a riser or line group. If it goes unnoticed, and the container closed, it would flip the bag through during deployment.

That's why after putting the d-bag in the container, you need to check the bridle routing FROM where it exits the D-bag to the velcro (or pin for those without velcro) and on its way from there.

JW
Always remember that some clouds are harder than others...

Honesly I doubt it. Rolling the bag through while packing takes a special kind of awareness.

Actually, it could be done with a specific unawareness....

IF as you put the d-bag in the container, you lay it down on the bridle, then pull the bridle up the the side, it could be under a riser or line group. If it goes unnoticed, and the container closed, it would flip the bag through during deployment.

That's why after putting the d-bag in the container, you need to check the bridle routing FROM where it exits the D-bag to the velcro (or pin for those without velcro) and on its way from there.

JW

That makes sense. I could see that happening.

It is certainly possible. My first reserve ride was caused by a packer flipping the bag between the front and rear risers on one side (or more likely, by allowing the riser or line group to flop over the bag).

Both you and fcajump proved my point. A special kind of awareness. :)
I know how to make the errors which is why I tend to rule it out. I can duplicate either one anytime. It's actually challenging to make the errors because it takes a fair amount of odd manipulation to pack it that way if it was correct prior to stowing the lines. If you must pull the bridle and pilot chute through any lines, it's wrong.

BTW, Are you sure he allowed just one riser group through after stowing the lines?

Regardless, I still stand by my first post.

My grammar sometimes resembles that of magnetic refrigerator poetry... Ghetto

I know how to make the errors which is why I tend to rule it out. I can duplicate either one anytime. It's actually challenging to make the errors because it takes a fair amount of odd manipulation to pack it that way if it was correct prior to stowing the lines. If you must pull the bridle and pilot chute through any lines, it's wrong.

BTW, Are you sure he allowed just one riser group through after stowing the lines?

That was my only question when I got back to the hangar, "did you pull the pilot chute through the lines?"

Attached is what I ended up with. Left-rear riser got pulled around.

Just for fun I really want to beat this one to death.

It was a packing error. The only way it would happen in air is if you did a flip after throwing out. Other than that it's not physically or theoretically possible.

:o:o

This is one of the reason's that I am _very_ particular about who packs for me. I'm not lazy either, I just don't have time to do it with everything else I'm trying to do in between jumps.

~D
Where troubles melt like lemon drops Away above the chimney tops That's where you'll find me.
Swooping is taking one last poke at the bear before escaping it's cave - davelepka

Just for fun I really want to beat this one to death.

It was a packing error. The only way it would happen in air is if you did a flip after throwing out. Other than that it's not physically or theoretically possible

Not so fast, Fast. On a premature deployment anything could happen...such as the belatedly extracted PC coming out between the lines. Tried and proven on the ground and I can't imagine that it has not happened in the air over the years.
My reality and yours are quite different.
I think we're all Bozos on this bus.
Falcon5232, SCS8170, SCSA353, POPS9398, DS239

That was my only question when I got back to the hangar, "did you pull the pilot chute through the lines?"

Attached is what I ended up with. Left-rear riser got pulled around.

Man those vengeance's open like shit!
BASE 1384

Whoever is allowing him to pack there needs to have a discussion with the packer.

Had it happen to me. I had a conversation with my packer... well... kind of:

http://www.skydivingstills.com/Skydiving/2009/Weekend-Pics-8-30-09/9467217_Z2jP4#635979657_qSsBT-A-LB.

It was caused by flipping the bag when it was passed over the rig after the lines were stowed. At least I'm pretty sure.

Dave

Whoever is allowing him to pack there needs to have a discussion with the packer.

Had it happen to me. I had a conversation with my packer... well... kind of:

http://www.skydivingstills.com/Skydiving/2009/Weekend-Pics-8-30-09/9467217_Z2jP4#635979657_qSsBT-A-LB.

It was caused by flipping the bag when it was passed over the rig after the lines were stowed. At least I'm pretty sure.

Dave

That was you?

Lol... I seen that a while back, was funny as hell.
"I may be a dirty pirate hooker...but I'm not about to go stand on the corner." iluvtofly
DPH -7, TDS 578, Muff 5153, SCR 14890
I'm an asshole, and I approve this message