normiss

Truck fans? Towing? RV's???

Pull is not the only consideration.. Tranny and Brakes are just as important when towing a load .. Go 3/4 ton at minimum.

This.

Get the CTD, put a pyrometer on it *after* the turbo and keep your EGTs low as much as possible. Keep the towed weight under about 7-8k and your truck will have a long, happy life.
Mike
I love you, Shannon and Jim.
POPS 9708 , SCR 14706

Ford doesn't have the Cummins Diesel.
I'm NOT working on today's Chryslers.
I don't have that many curse words left.
:P
I think I would prefer the gas model in a HD250.

Good luck!
Mike
I love you, Shannon and Jim.
POPS 9708 , SCR 14706

Ford doesn't have the Cummins Diesel.
I'm NOT working on today's Chryslers.
I don't have that many curse words left.
:P
I think I would prefer the gas model in a HD250.

I bought a brand new Dodge 4x4 with a Cummins it in in fall 2002 when they finally put a crew cab on the table instead of the silly doors my that my Dodge 1 ton 1996 had. I tow in mountain country.. and I like my 6 speed manual... you can not give me an automatic in a truck. I made a promise to myself to not be a grease spot at the bottom of some hill.

It now has 150k on it.. the only repairs have been a new electric fuel pump.. the old one was starting to have issues.and one injector and I replaced yhe fuel pump with a far better aftermarket one. I also had to replace the cheap ass u joints that had issues about a year after the floods here back a few years ago. I guess driving I drove right thru some deep water.. the new u joints are the super heavy duty ones with zirc fitting so I can push out any water if I do drive into the 3 foot deep water again;)

Other than that.. I get 22 MPG on the highway.. and about 17 MPG towing my 25 or 27 foot boats. I have changed the oil every 3500 miles.. and its been pretty much maint free.
That said.. I do back the rear end into the water all the time to launch the boat...

Oh.. and quite a few thousands of those miles have been off road.... and many thousands more have been on gravel and dirt mountain roads. I did replace the wheels and tires after the warrenty.. with some VERY nice off road tires... worked great in 3 ft of snow. Ask Squeak;)

I towed my 35ft 5ver for 3.5 years around the country working. Fl to IL to CO to SoCal to Norcal and just about every combination in between. I started my trip with a Ford F350 Diesel, in the first 7 months of traveling the Ford burned the turbo twice, the heads twice, the egr cooler 3 times, the egr valve and the radiator. Eventually the Ford died for good (while in Denver) and when I towed it in to the dealer they called me and informed me that "Ford has voided your warranty and will no longer be authorizing work on the vehicle". I didnt think they could do that, but thats what happened.

I went to Dodge and got a 2500 with the Cummins and have put 80k of hard towing since (including Mojave in the summer), its been trouble free. The towing experience is totally different, the Ford was a V8 and was constantly downshifting when going up and down hills and mountain roads. The Dodge has a big 6 and has more low end torque. I get 16 mpg while towing and 22 hwy while not towing. I dont work otr anymore and my RV is parked at Skydance and I still use my truck to commute and it has still needed nothing but oil change and routine maintenance, (and some body work when someone ran into it in the DZ parking lot).

On principal alone I will NEVER buy a Ford again. Im sure I was just unlucky with that truck, but the way Ford treated me and the legal team they presented when I tried to get full credit back on my purchase was unforgivable. My problems were WELL documented and I thought it would have been an open and shut case, it was a horrible experience from beginning to end...

Every RV park we would go to when we talked about the trouble we had with the truck "most" fulltimers would direct us to Dodge. Also, talking to the Ford Diesel mechanics which we got used to because it was in the shop 11 times in those first 7 months, would say how bad all but the old 7.3l diesels were, and if you dont have the original 7.3 you WILL have problems if you try to tow heavy loads on a regular basis.

BTW I originally bought the Ford because of owner loyalty I have always owned Fords, I was a "ford man" (pretty ridiculous, I know)

Good luck and have fun, RV'ing is good times.

Doug

We got a 2007 year Ford 1-ton with the 6.0 for a work truck.....lost the turbo after 60,000miles! Piece of junk and had nothing but problems with it andeven my best friend is a Certified Ford mechanic and has nothing good to say about them! He did say the older 7.3's are a good motor. +1 on the Cummins.....its been a proven motor for years!

Hi junky,

C. Lyle Cummins was one of my instructors my senior year in college. His dad & uncle were the guys behind the Cummins engine.

Our Thermodynamics lab had a really, really old Ford in-line 6-cylinder for our dyno. Prof. Cummins made a phone call & ~ a month later we had a brand new Cummins diesel sitting in a crate.

It's all about who you know, :)

JerryBaumchen

I should have bought that and ditched the GF.

He's neither buying a boat nor ditching the girlfriend. :P
She is Da Man, and you better not mess with Da Man,
because she will lay some keepdown on you faster than, well, really fast. ~Billvon

So much for just stopping by the dealership to see what they had. :P

I'm going to need some fancier clothes to look good enough to drive around in your new truck. That thing is posh! B|:)

She is Da Man, and you better not mess with Da Man,
because she will lay some keepdown on you faster than, well, really fast. ~Billvon

So much for just stopping by the dealership to see what they had. :P

I'm going to need some fancier clothes to look good enough to drive around in your new truck. That thing is posh! B|:)

A pick-up, by definition, cannot be "posh". Maybe trailer-trashtastic, but not posh. :P
Remster