normiss

Truck fans? Towing? RV's???

Supercharger probably won't help much for towing.

Get a diesel 3/4 ton or something beefy like that. ;)

"I may be a dirty pirate hooker...but I'm not about to go stand on the corner." iluvtofly
DPH -7, TDS 578, Muff 5153, SCR 14890
I'm an asshole, and I approve this message

Turbo or blown diesel.

A blower helps especially at lower rpms since it does not need to spool up.

I would get something with a cummins or an older rebuilt detroit diesel that had a blower or turbo added.

Mark, why not just find a truck and go through the motor yourself?

You still have tools right?

I realize you guys are right on about the big beefy turbo diesels....I'm trying to find a nice middle ground.
I don't always need such a big truck, 4 doors, diesel cash eating monster.

I really like the Lightning and the HD model F-150's.
Maybe I'm trying to get too much "fun" in a truck because I've had an old truck for awhile now.
:D

Future plans include a towable RV and possibly a boat.

We don't need a boat; we need a European vacation. ;)
She is Da Man, and you better not mess with Da Man,
because she will lay some keepdown on you faster than, well, really fast. ~Billvon

I'm starting to shop a little for a new(er) truck.
Future plans include a towable RV and possibly a boat.

Any thoughts on having a supercharged engine?
Is that a no-no for towing?

I would avoid the supercharged engine as the modification will typically require a reduction in compression ratio and thus require premium fuel. While supercharging does great at helping towing, it really helps you drink the fuel too. If you decide absolutely that's the way to go, the Whipple Supercharger kit is pretty sharp. I had one in a 1999 Suburban 2500 with a big block V8 (7.3L/454 cu in). Gobs of torque, effortless towing and never got better than 12 MPG with a 42 gallon tank and 91+ octane fuel and $150 per fill-up...I don't have the truck anymore. I replaced it last year with a 2007 Silverado pick-up with a 5.3L V8. Better power, but less low end grunt, equal to better towing capacity and much better mileage.

The other issue with superchargers on trucks is if the back-pressure is too high going through the catalytic converter and exhaust, the baffles and chambers will eventually fail and you will see a big decrease in performance as well as fail any smog/emission tests. Plus, it's one more item to fail if it's not installed properly.

If you aren't towing super long or heavy, requiring a fifth wheel, a 1/2 ton series will serve you okay. If you get to an RV longer than 20 feet or weights beyond 7-8,000 lbs, maybe look at a 3/4 ton with a diesel.

Another huge factor, more important than the power for towing in my opinion (a well equipped 1/2 ton will be able to handle over 10,000 lbs towing), is the brake controller. The Prodigy P2 brake controller is simply the best on the market. Easy to program, easy to use, and very reliable. Spend the money on it.

If you decide you want to tow with a fifth wheel, it will probably be best to upgrade to a diesel, as those trailers are heavier. Diesels obviously perform very well and last a long time. Chevy in my opinion holds an advantage with the Allison transmission, Dodge with the Cummins engine, and Ford with the chassis. If you find any pushing the miles beyond 175,000, check the state of the fuel delivery system. If they've replaced the line and rails, you'll be good to go, otherwise walk away.

I've not historically been a "Chevy" man, in fact, I bet there are all sorts of posts of me going back years of me bashing GM products, but I've been pleasantly surprised by how my truck has handled what I've thrown at it the past year. I've also been impressed simply by what American trucks in general can handle, and I live in an area where many spend nearly as much time off road as they do on road. If you can swing it, you'll likely find a good market of 2006/2007 model years out there. Fords will run a little more expensive, Chevys in my opinion, will have more bang for the buck. With gas prices in limbo right now, and a likely weakening of the dollar in light of today's announcements, you should have no problem finding a solid low mileage truck.
So I try and I scream and I beg and I sigh
Just to prove I'm alive, and it's alright
'Cause tonight there's a way I'll make light of my treacherous life
Make light!

Turbo or blown diesel.

I would get something with a cummins or an older rebuilt detroit diesel that had a blower or turbo added.

Blowers or turbos are great on the drag strip or long haul freeway run, but for merely haul a boat or trailer, bad idea. Good power if you don't mind a drop in fuel economy, or over heating you r engine in traffic. Blowers have poor water flow at low rpm's. Turbos run hot, due to the recirculation of exhaust gases. These are the reasons they never made it into your everyday daily driver vehicle. Back around 76, I got my hands on a 3-71 that I wanted to put on my 327 68 Camaro. My dad filled me in on why that was a bad idea for the street. He didn't even run a blower on the 350 dragster he raced (see pic. That's me on the left at age 10.) A RV cam and normal aspiration is all the power you'll need. That's if you choose a truck with a carburetor. If you go for a vehicle with F.I., a chip will answer your prayers.

Good explanation from Jegs:
http://www.jegs.com/s/tech-articles/superchargers.html&title=Superchargers+-+Blowers+-+Roots+Type+-+Centrifugal
"...And once you're gone, you can't come back
When you're out of the blue and into the black."
Neil Young

H Moms,

We don't need a boat; we need a European vacation.

And so it begins. :S

JerryBaumchen

PS) Normiss, do you own any running shoes? :P

:D:D:D

... beat me to it!

norm... you only need a truck good enough to get the RV from the dealer to the DZ... its not like its going anywhere, but there... right!!? ;)

Supercharger probably won't help much for towing.

Get a diesel 3/4 ton or something beefy like that. ;)

+1

It freaks the shit out of the slow asses going UP a mountain pass towing a 27 foot Chris Craft on a 3 axle trailer going the speed limit:ph34r::ph34r::ph34r: as I pass their asses

Cummins.. a REAL truck engine

Personally, I would never own a money sucking diesel again.
My current fifth wheel puller vehicle is a 2003 Dodge 3500 Dually Gas
While its only got 60k miles on it... I've been looking for a quad cab (the dually is a single cab and great for the lining up the ball on my horse trailer style hitch).
The new Dodge 1500 has a significantly increased payload and towing capacity.
Here's the hyperlinks to the spec sheet: http://www.dodge.com/bodybuilder/2011/docs/ram/rammlup1500.pdf

Let us know what you settle on...
Nobody has time to listen; because they're desperately chasing the need of being heard.

Figure out what towing capacity you need before you buy the truck. Too small of a truck and you limit yourself to the size of boat and/or camper you can buy.

I love my full sized Nissan Titan even when I'm not towing anything.

You can learn a LOT on the RV forums
Be patient with the faults of others; they have to be patient with yours.

F-250 or F-350 Superduty. Lose the catalytic converter and diesel particulate filter. Add a Spartan tuner and a cold air intake. Run the 275 tune (adds 275 horsepower) for daily driving to give you the best fuel mileage and run the 210 tow tune for pulling. You'll be happy with it and won't have a problem pulling anything.

"Your scrotum is quite nice" - Skymama
www.kjandmegan.com

Turbo or blown diesel.

Blowers or turbos are great on the drag strip or long haul freeway run, but for merely haul a boat or trailer, bad idea. Good power if you don't mind a drop in fuel economy, or over heating you r engine in traffic. Blowers have poor water flow at low rpm's. Turbos run hot, due to the recirculation of exhaust gases. These are the reasons they never made it into your everyday daily driver vehicle. Back around 76, I got my hands on a 3-71 that I wanted to put on my 327 68 Camaro. My dad filled me in on why that was a bad idea for the street. He didn't even run a blower on the 350 dragster he raced (see pic. That's me on the left at age 10.) A RV cam and normal aspiration is all the power you'll need. That's if you choose a truck with a carburetor. If you go for a vehicle with F.I., a chip will answer your prayers.

Good explanation from Jegs:
http://www.jegs.com/s/tech-articles/superchargers.html&title=Superchargers+-+Blowers+-+Roots+Type+-+Centrifugal

My father was a diesel mechanic for over 45years there is a right and wrong way of doing things.

He worked on everything you could imagine and had his name in the credits in the rear of the manuals.

There is nothing wrong with it on a diesel, you just need to do everything with the fact that it will be turbo/blown and choose your setup accordingly.

Some of the coolest engines he worked on was in the range of 1500 to an excess of 10,000hp

You should see a twin engine earth scraper do 4 wheel burnoutsB|

Pull is not the only consideration.. Tranny and Brakes are just as important when towing a load .. Go 3/4 ton at minimum.

Yep, everything in balance.

If the load is heavy you would do well by getting an Allison transmission.

Many people who transport horses are getting trucks equipped with one, saves on the brakes and wear and tear on the trans.