oldwomanc6

Stick Shifts and Sports Cars

It is actually safer to be on the gas exiting the corner than to be taking a corner with no throttle applied. Follow that basic rule (be on the gas in the corners) and you will be fine.

Especially with mid-engined cars. They'll swap ends fast! :o

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Rap is to music what etch-a-sketch is to art.

This is so funny Most UK drivers get taught to drive as you guys call it stick shifts. Only ever know one person who had a automatic only license:S,which i found weird:D.

And the other thing is, using a manual gearbox is not hard. At all. Full synchromesh has been standard in pretty much every car you can buy for several decades now, so how anyone could fail to grasp at least the basic technique of clutch goes in, stick moves, clutch goes out is beyond me...

Not only easy (probably because that's all we've known) - but I also drive on the Continent a lot and have not had problems in manual hire cars on the wrong side of the road..

(.)Y(.)
Chivalry is not dead; it only sleeps for want of work to do. - Jerome K Jerome

I've driven both throughout my life. I prefer standard to automatic. I wouldnt have any problem teaching anyone, mainly because i think im a good teacher.

With a little patience, i can teach someone to drive standard without them ever stalling it, grinding a gear, or burning out the clutch.
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, all used up, and loudly proclaiming: Wow, what a ride!

It is actually safer to be on the gas exiting the corner than to be taking a corner with no throttle applied. Follow that basic rule (be on the gas in the corners) and you will be fine.

Now, the question is... how many people actually know why?!:)
"I may be a dirty pirate hooker...but I'm not about to go stand on the corner." iluvtofly
DPH -7, TDS 578, Muff 5153, SCR 14890
I'm an asshole, and I approve this message

Well for me I got more weight in the rear 40/60 and it's RWD so I need to keep those rear wheels planted. ;) Unbalance it and take the weight away and that weight is going to want to swap ends.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Rap is to music what etch-a-sketch is to art.

well it's not very complicated, at least for anyone who has ever ridden a bike
You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

"HELL NO!
I'm sorry slappy paddles are even worse!
That's for guy who THINK they can drive stick!
Yes bla bla bla technology bla bla bla bla fast shifting bla bla bla...the only reason they are there is so that the freaking Hipster can hold a bladder buster frapamockahalfcafnofatsoychai thing!

Real men...and I'm talking guys with hair on their chests and who know how to pump their own gas, check the oil and tire pressures....drive stick!"

Good grief, Shah. Would you like to tell that to these guys? Their only the best & fastest drivers in the world: http://www.formula1.com/ You would pee yourself, &/or die even trying to get remotely close to their warmup lap times...

Once upon a time, manual trannies were superior for a few different reasons. Automatics have gotten better over the years. The equation has changed. You're an engineer for Christ's sake. You should be telling us about this. Is any part of your life not dictated by your dick???:D

Yes, I can drive a stick shift as well as column shift. I prefer manual transmissions. Stuck with an automatic right now :S, but as soon as I'm able to, I'm back to a manual transmission. :)

Life is short! Break the rules! Forgive quickly! Kiss slowly! Love truly, Laugh uncontrollably. And never regret anything that made you smile.

You flipped his 442? Oh, that's bad... I'm surprised he even let you use the pickup. I could drive your '47, pops. :P

No I bought the pick-up myself, I didn't drive one of his cars again for 10 year after that...:)

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

How many youngsters would have the patience to teach the older driver?

Oh gawd that brought back a bad memory!:S

I had an accident at home and sliced my left forearm wide open.The blood was spurting several feet, so I used my right hand to grab it and put direct pressure on the wound. The only other person at home was mother, and the only car was my stick-shift Mustang. My parents had never owned a stick shift, but mother claimed she had driven them for years before she got married. So there I am trying to teach mother to drive a stick to get me to the hospital, while I am riding in the passenger seat.
"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

Hi woman,

Well, as one who learned to drive in the 50's (:o), standard gearboxes were all we owned in those days.

Oh, BTW the term 'stick shift' meant a floor shift back in those days. A 'standard shift' was 3 on the column.

My first car ( @ 15 ) was a '47 Chevy Fleetline; anyone know what those were?

And for you trivia types: Buick's autobox was called a Dyanflow which we called the Dynaslow; Chevy's PowerGlide was called a PowerSlide.

Today I only own autoboxes as I just get tired sitting in traffic holding the clutch in. :S

JerryBaumchen

PS) Anyone know how to get a standard shift into Low gear when rolling along? Now that was a trick to be mastered as a teenager.

PPS) Both of my kids learned to drive on Toyota pickups with stick shifts; I was not about to have them not be able to drive any car at anytime should an emergency arrive. To this day they both can remember how hard it was and how demanding I was. :)

PPPS) In high school my brother had a '40 Mercury with a torque tube driveshaft. We once changed out a gearbox in 30 minutes; we had a lot of experience in that task. [:/]

what about column shift, how many of you can drive a column

I drove a car with the shifter on the column -- does that count :)?

My first car was an old Ford Falcon with stick shift on the column, and the synchro mesh had long gone out -- in order not to grind going into second, I had to be going exactly the right speed. A little more leeway going into second, but not a lot. And forget downshifting into first; it was impossible if the car wasn't stopped.

That car was a serious toad. Holes in the roof, floor, and seats, but it was really cheap :ph34r:

Wendy P.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

Hi Wendy,

synchro mesh had long gone out -- in order not to grind going into second, I had to be going exactly the right speed.

You just did not know how to do it. You put it into Neutral, let the clutch out & give it just a little gas. Then you 'shift' with the handle until you can feel it against the gears, and when the engine & the gears match speeds you drop into whatever gear you are trying for. As I said, this was a trick to be mastered as a teenager in the 50's. :P

1) F1 cars are semi Auto from first to sixth and clutch on the way down. Any man worth his gas tank on a bike understand that you can race up a gear box on a motorcycle with a flip of the wrist and a tickle of the toe. And that's what an F1 gear box is. A crash box transmission. And man let me tell you, god I miss my GPZ so much now it's not even funny.....but clutchless up shifting is just SEX!

2) How can it put this with out insulting all the guys in the financial world who drive around in slush-O-matic 911's......
Learn to drive like a real man! Put down your cell phone and your grande $10 coffee with a name better placed on a sofa and stoop twittering WHAT IS THE MATTER WITH YOU! Get in, get seated, place your right hand on the only part of the heart of your car that you can touch with the hood still closed. Close your eyes and feel that heart.
And drive! BROTHER DRIVE! Feel the grip of the rubber on the road, feel when it's time to shift, listen and for one god dam moment of you god forsaken day trapped in earth toned cubicles better equipped to kill lab rats than to inspire us to be more....wake up and feel!

The only thing better than driving a stick.....aiming the front tire of your motorcycle and getting lost on the open road.
Life through good thoughts, good words, and good deeds is necessary to ensure happiness and to keep chaos at bay.

The only thing that falls from the sky is birdshit and fools!

Upshift without a clutch by backiing off a bit with the throttle while shifting. Downshifting without a clutch by adding a bit of throttle while shifting (fairly harsh feeling to the tranny). That is how the motorcycles I've had worked.

I don't think F1 cars are just "crash box" trannys. They have launch control - their clutches are being controlled 'automatically' - they are in a sense automatics. There are some tranny mfgs that have put forward prototypes of fully manual boxes that do anything from full auto mode to full manual mode. That would be nice.
People are sick and tired of being told that ordinary and decent people are fed up in this country with being sick and tired. I’m certainly not, and I’m sick and tired of being told that I am

1) F1 cars are semi Auto from first to sixth and clutch on the way down. Any man worth his gas tank on a bike understand that you can race up a gear box on a motorcycle with a flip of the wrist and a tickle of the toe. And that's what an F1 gear box is. A crash box transmission.

http://www.f1technical.net/articles/66

"Each gearchange is controlled by a computer, taking between 20-40 milliseconds."

2) How can it put this with out insulting all the guys in the financial world who drive around in slush-O-matic 911's......
Learn to drive like a real man!

Shah, F1 trannies don't also function as full-autos because they'd never be used that way. You're contradicting yourself. Traditional old-school racers learned early on how to properly use the heal_toe shifting technique. Doing so smoothly while pulling Gs through a turn takes considerable skill. Flicking opposable thumbs while safely ensconced within your F1 cocoon doesn't even come close. You're pointing that out yourself. The overweight, under-endowed Porsche driver's thumbs, & those of the hot F1 racer's are doing the same thing: flick, flick, flick... The technical difference is trivial. The Purest part of me disdains the newer techno wizardry as much as you do. The Purest part of me also appreciates a better & faster way to carve corners. Championships won't be lost due to a missed shift in the heat of battle, anymore. Technology marches on.

On the bright side, look @the deals you'll find on slightly used manual Porsches in a few years. Let the girly-men run to the dealer for new cars every couple of years. Real men can do their own engine work.

P.S.: I guess this is my fault. I should have remembered how many PAs you tend to draw. I like you, Shah. I should have prefaced my last post w/that. It's all in good fun, man.

P.P.S.: That being said. Freud would have found all your manly references & this "Get in, get seated, place your right hand on the only part of the heart of your car that you can touch with the hood still closed. Close your eyes and feel that heart." vahrry intahresting, ja_ja...

How can it put this with out insulting all the guys in the financial world who drive around in slush-O-matic 911's......Learn to drive like a real man

I have to ask what you know about 911s? It's a car with a rich racing heritage, a car that does not take that many modifications to turn it into a full fledged race car and a car that is driven by more than just Wall Street peeps (spend some time at the race tracks and you will realize this). Ignore the cell phone yappers, latte drinking texting dweebs, they drive all sorts of different cars not just 911s. Do you even track your car(s)? If not, what do you know about "Driving like a man". Of course what does "Driving like a man have to do with anything". She may not be the best race car driver, but I would be willing to bet that Danica Patrick could drive the socks off of both of us, and I have reasonably good experience on the track.

Try not to worry about the things you have no control over

It seems that you think masculinity should be demonstrated by driving a manual transmission. I have no such insecurity, so much so that I drive a 1st generation (15 year old) Honda Odyssey. I love that car. It has normal doors (non-sliding), massive amounts of room, extremely road trip/sleep inside friendly, small 4 cyl engine. Basically an elevated, underpowered 3 row seating wagon. I realize that many guys are not satisfied with such a vehicle, but value and utility is much more important to me than feeling the mechanisms of my transmission. I designed instrument panels/consoles for Honda for 10 years, including the development of the 6 speed manual version of the Acura CL (no longer in production).
People are sick and tired of being told that ordinary and decent people are fed up in this country with being sick and tired. I’m certainly not, and I’m sick and tired of being told that I am

I do not know who the driver is, but in this video of someone driving their Boxster at Mid Ohio it appears that they make only two gear changes every lap (faster forward to a little past the 30 second mark to not let the leading GT3 Cup car confuse you). Anyway they pretty much stay in 3rd gear for most of the lap and only briefly shift to 4th on a straight before shifting back down to 3rd for the rest of the lap. Even myself at my local track, I only make 6 gear changes the entire lap. Obviously changing into the right gear is important, but in the grand scheme of things it is not that big of a deal.

Try not to worry about the things you have no control over

all i drive is manuals. ever since i learned on my 94 dodge caravan (yes it was a manual!!)

ive taught many many people to drive manual in my delsol(s)
Thanatos340(on landing rounds)--
Landing procedure: Hand all the way up, Feet and Knees Together and PLF soon as you get bitch slapped by a planet.