skymama

Hurricane Irene

I kept waking up last night, thinking that I would hear some wind or rain. I didn't hear anything! Even now as I look outside, there's not a leaf moving on any tree. The only difference from a normal morning is that it's not sunny.

Sucks...I was hoping to get a day off from work at least. :P

She is Da Man, and you better not mess with Da Man,
because she will lay some keepdown on you faster than, well, really fast. ~Billvon

No way a hurricane with an old lady name should miss Florida.
If it had it's left turn signal on for the past few days, I might get an idea where it was headed. (typically straight ahead)
:P

With that sort of sound logic, I bet the most unsafe place to be in the entire state is a farmers market. Irene will probably crash into it!
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

...and from Atlanta:
There is a small cloud in the northeastern sky.
I think it's the exhaust from the local Waffle House, though.

Sure it's not a safety meeting?

Somebody left the door open to the Muff trailer :)
You can't be drunk all day if you don't start early!

I live in central VA. What a week:S First a 5.8 earthquake (epicenter was about 60 miles NNE of us), and now a (possibly) CAT 3 'cane. Fortunately, my family and I are on vacation in WA state. Been glued to TWC, though. Earthquake didn't do any damage; here's hoping the 'cane doesn't do much. Fom the looks of the track, we will catch only the farthest western edge of this thing. I'm sure we'll get a he'll of a lot of wind and rain nonetheless.

Stay safe, everyone!

The mind is everything. What we think, we become. - The Buddha

Well, since I'm in the disaster response business and have been in every hurricane since 2004...
I flew into Virginia Beach last night.
Drinks anyone? :D

Nobody has time to listen; because they're desperately chasing the need of being heard.

Seen online:

"Remember, this storm has already been to the Caribbean, where the zombie menace originated. Watch your spouse and children for evidence of zombie infection carried by the wind, and respond as necessary."
Mike
I love you, Shannon and Jim.
POPS 9708 , SCR 14706

What do you think for the New York area Meso? We have a boogie this weekend at the ranch and im getting my rig so im looking forward to getting some jumping done

To be honest, depending on how close it is to the ocean there may even be evacuations in that area.

You may well see NYC evacuations if Irene maintains her strength, the storm surge could be as high as 20 feet in areas now, so basically anything under 20 feet in elevation could be under water, assuming it hits in high tide, and will be restricted to some bays, elsewhere 7-12 feet seems possible.

Irene will likely only be approaching the NE coast on Sunday, but her size is huge and you may well be getting 4" rain in 6 hours on Sunday.

In short, there is a very good chance said boogie will not happen. And that may be the least of the problems for the NYC area hah.

EDIT: There was a few hours satellite blackout, but latest imagery is showing that Irene is encountering shear and is weakening. Can't yet tell if it's a trend or just a fluctuation.

What the weather folks on TV was saying is that although Irene only has what 105-110 mph winds, it has a barometric pressure of 946mb, which is typical for category 3, even 4 strength hurricanes, but Irene is just flat out one big bitch. If she was more the size of Charley, she'd probably be blowing just as hard as Charley was (145mph).

Pretty much the entire east coast from NC up to NY is fucked. You're gonna see storm surges and wind blowing inland north of the eye all the way up the coast, if she follows pretty much the coastline. I saw that Norfolk is under mandatory evacuation.
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

What the weather folks on TV was saying is that although Irene only has what 105-110 mph winds, it has a barometric pressure of 946mb, which is typical for category 3, even 4 strength hurricanes, but Irene is just flat out one big bitch. If she was more the size of Charley, she'd probably be blowing just as hard as Charley was (145mph).

Pretty much the entire east coast from NC up to NY is fucked. You're gonna see storm surges and wind blowing inland north of the eye all the way up the coast, if she follows pretty much the coastline. I saw that Norfolk is under mandatory evacuation.

Wow, you can add parts of NYC to the evacuation orders! Has that ever happened before? How the fuck do you get something like 8 million people out of there in a day? :o Granted, the order is probably for coastal areas, but still.... damn....
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

Big girls may be slow, but they're mighty. ;)
She is Da Man, and you better not mess with Da Man,
because she will lay some keepdown on you faster than, well, really fast. ~Billvon

Just found out the evac order for NYC only covers about 300,000 people. That's a lot better than I thought. Still, it's going to be a headache for those people trying to find a place to stay, if they can get the fuck out in time! B|

I have been preparing for Irene, and I think I am fairly prepared. Wish me luck.

Well, with the case of Dom Perignon and the 6-pack that was bequeathed to me when my champagne glasses and beer glass fell victim to the massive earthquake, I should be well prepared, too! :P:ph34r::ph34r::)
lisa
WSCR 594
FB 1023
CBDB 9

We are located in Zuni, VA about 25 miles west of Skydive Suffolk. We have lost one tree so far in the horse pasture and it is still early. It's pretty windy but we still have power. The horse is freaking out and we have placed a breakaway halter with identification on her just in case the fence blows down. Everything is tied down and put away! I have deserts backed and grill items in the freezer! All ATVs are gased up and plenty of gas for the chainsaw! We are prepared! Stay safe out there!

So. Md. here, Wind is starting to kick in. The power was out, but just came back. That doesn't bode well for the overnight hours when the wind is really supposed to howl.

I'm just hoping that any trees that fall, fall away from the house. We lost over a dozen in Isabelle. Oops! the first tree just went.

I'm surprised that more of us on the east coast aren't posting.
lisa
WSCR 594
FB 1023
CBDB 9

I'm surprised that more of us on the east coast aren't posting.

They might not have power, or might have better things to do. :P
"I may be a dirty pirate hooker...but I'm not about to go stand on the corner." iluvtofly
DPH -7, TDS 578, Muff 5153, SCR 14890
I'm an asshole, and I approve this message