BIGUN

Texas to Issue Veteran Driver's Licenses

The only advantage I would see if Florida did this?
Not having to keep a copy of my DD-214 handy for the 10% veteran's discount at Lowe's.:P

Does Lowe's really have this ??? Damn, ever since I bought my house, I've been there a dozen times each weekend. Think they'll give me a retroactive discount ?:P

I first used it after spending $1800 there.
I took the receipt and my DD-214 to the returns counter.
She "returned" the entire receipt, re-rang the sale with the 10%, handed me the cash, thanked me for my service and for being a Lowes' customer.
Even better when added to coupons.
B|

She "returned" the entire receipt, re-rang the sale with the 10%, handed me the cash, thanked me for my service and for being a Lowes' customer.
B|

Their website says:
"10 percent discount to all military personnel who are active, reserve, retired or disabled veterans and their family members, with a valid, government-issued military ID card.

All other military veterans will receive the discount on the Memorial Day, Fourth of July and Veterans Day weekends."

I'm just an uninjured vet with an Honorable Discharge. Probably should have stepped on that land mine when I had the chance...B|

B|

Their website says:
"10 percent discount to all military personnel who are active, reserve, retired or disabled veterans and their family members, with a valid, government-issued military ID card.

All other military veterans will receive the discount on the Memorial Day, Fourth of July and Veterans Day weekends."

I'm just an uninjured vet with an Honorable Discharge. Probably should have stepped on that land mine when I had the chance...B|

Why would you not qualify as "retired"? I say, show them your ID or 214, and let them try to split hairs and look you in the eye while explaining it. Or, chances are, they'll simply say you qualify.

I have had cops ask to see it when they looked into my wallet as I pulled my license out.
I was once told "You can go, you already paid"

There's the "problem" it seems, as some see it - they want a "free pass" too, without having to go through all the hassle of actually serving their country. Or they want to take away your "free pass", because they haven't earned one just like it. They either want something for nothing, or they want you to have nothing for something. Hrumph.

You earned it. They didn't. Tough shit on them.

That is just it, I did not serve for a FREE anything except for FREE country in which to live. My family has always been of the opinion that citizenship and all that it entails comes with a price.

I still believe it does, nothing in life is FREE.

Looks like Florida is doing this too. :)

As is Georgia, but they have a more stringent criteria for being on active duty during certain periods. If nothing else... It will show that we as a nation belong to the largest brotherhood of Freedom in the world.

Or...

It's some conspiratorial plot to have us all wear the mark of the demon and to know where we live so "they" can round us up to prevent the overthrow of the government. Imagine the ability to reference the many government databases and do a SQL statement SELECT FROM TABLES WHERE COLUMNS = Gun Owner, V on License, Registered Republican... it's coming I tell ya. They'll put us all in those supposed FEMA disaster camps which are really internment camps to protect the government from the likes of us. :D
Nobody has time to listen; because they're desperately chasing the need of being heard.

Now, to the nefarious purposes, I think there is some genuine concern for states (like California) that have veteran courts. As a vet, I kind of like the idea, but am concerned that it opens itself to abuse in some way.

What's that all about? Veterans get our own court system?

Depends on where you live. In California for instance, not every county has implemented it. My understanding is that out here, it's primarily a hybrid of drug and mental health courts. Some states have more to it, some less I suppose (like criminal courts for vets etc).
So I try and I scream and I beg and I sigh
Just to prove I'm alive, and it's alright
'Cause tonight there's a way I'll make light of my treacherous life
Make light!

Not having to keep a copy of my DD-214 handy for the 10% veteran's discount at Lowe's.:P

Does Lowe's really have this ??? Damn, ever since I bought my house, I've been there a dozen times each weekend. Think they'll give me a retroactive discount ?:P

Lowe's and Home Depot give the 10%. Although Lowe's will allow the 10% vet discount on top of a sale discount. HD doesn't.

Not having to keep a copy of my DD-214 handy for the 10% veteran's discount at Lowe's.
I wish they'd make a veteran's ID.
:P

I got one from the VA.

Really? What kind is it and what are the qualifications to do so? I need one of them, well maybe not, my CAC usually is enough.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Rap is to music what etch-a-sketch is to art.

I got one from the VA.

Really? What kind is it and what are the qualifications to do so? I need one of them, well maybe not, my CAC usually is enough.

Disability rating of atleast 0%, apply for your medical benefits at the VA, they give you an ID card.
"I may be a dirty pirate hooker...but I'm not about to go stand on the corner." iluvtofly
DPH -7, TDS 578, Muff 5153, SCR 14890
I'm an asshole, and I approve this message

>>Well, they do have one, for Veterans that are service connected disabled. I have one.<<

Not entirely correct . . .

Generally you do need to be retired or have a service connected disability to gain access to VA care except for a certain amount of Vets who served in the late 60 and early 70s. The military was so hard up for recruits (due to the Vietnam war being so unpopular) they sweetened the enlistment deal to include free health care for life. So I'm neither retired or service connected disabled but I have a VA card and have been treated at the VA many times.

NickD :)

>>Well, they do have one, for Veterans that are service connected disabled. I have one.
Not entirely correct . . .

Generally you do need to be retired or have a service connected disability to gain access to VA care except for a certain amount of Vets who served in the late 60 and early 70s. The military was so hard up for recruits (due to the Vietnam war being so unpopular) they sweetened the enlistment deal to include free health care for life. So I'm neither retired or service connected disabled but I have a VA card and have been treated at the VA many times.

NickD :)

They also offer 5 years of treatment for OIF/OEF vets.;)
"I may be a dirty pirate hooker...but I'm not about to go stand on the corner." iluvtofly
DPH -7, TDS 578, Muff 5153, SCR 14890
I'm an asshole, and I approve this message