BIGUN

Texas to Issue Veteran Driver's Licenses

House Bill 1514 “VETERAN” Drivers License Designation (Rep. Jason Isaac and Sen. Brian Birdwell)
HB 1514 requires the Texas Department of Public Safety (DPS) to include a designation of “VETERAN” on the driver’s licenses issued to certain Veterans.
The bill will allow any person who served in a branch of the U.S. military as well as members of the Texas National Guard to request to have the “VETERAN” designation on their license. The Veteran must provide proof of their service and honorable discharge to obtain the designation.
The legislation came in response to Veterans seeking an easier way to verify their military service to businesses, organizations and events that provide benefits and discounts to Veterans.

The license designation is a convenient way to provide such proof without having to produce a copy of their form DD-214.

1. Law was passed/signed in June 2011
2. Comes into effect on September 1, 2011
3. MUST HAVE your military discharge

The lady at the Bay City Drivers License office said that there is currently/or will be a system upgrade of their main computer in Austin to allow this new entry on your license. She added that EVERYONE who is going to apply please wait until September 15, 2011 or later to do so.
Nobody has time to listen; because they're desperately chasing the need of being heard.

I understand the convenience aspect of this, but . . . I would be worried that it eventually leads to an atmosphere of subtle discrimination against those individuals without the veteran stamp on their licenses.

Don't get me wrong, I think vets should get every, single, damn thing they're entitled to.

That said, I'd hate to think this "good" intention ends up having a "bad" consequence.
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

. . . I would be worried that it eventually leads to an atmosphere of subtle discrimination against those individuals without the veteran stamp on their licenses.

Like what?

Ever read Starship Troopers? In it, Heinlein creates a society where only those that have served in the military have rights. While that's an extreme and clearly fictional example, lets say we went down the road a few years and some crooked election official or voter registration clerk decided he was going to "lose" any registration from say, every 10th person that didn't have the Vet stamp on their licenses or even vice versa in an effort to subtly influence an election.

I dunno, maybe that's a bad example, I can't think of something better right now. I'm tired and it's late. That said, if I was wide awake or if I was a more devious person, I might be able to think of something way more evil.

I'm just thinking it probably shouldn't be coupled to the most basic form of ID used. That somehow, someway, somebody is going to use it for some nefarious purpose.
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

Ever read Starship Troopers?

Much better than the movie B|

I see what you're saying, but would the chance of that happening outweight the benefits of having "Veteran" on the DL's of, say 75% (since some would not want it), all vets' licenses?

Also if someone really had that agenda they could easily do it without the "VET" thing on DLs. It would be pretty clear who is not a vet (for the most part). Yeah, he/she may thow out a few registrations of vets in the process, but with many people there is no way to mistake that they are NOT a vet - age, disabilities, name (Tiynyu Anwanyu is probably a naturelized citizen from Ghana and never served in the U.S. military), etc...

I like conspiracy angle though.

. . . I would be worried that it eventually leads to an atmosphere of subtle discrimination against those individuals without the veteran stamp on their licenses.

Like what?

Ever read Starship Troopers? In it, Heinlein creates a society where only those that have served in the military have rights. While that's an extreme and clearly fictional example, lets say we went down the road a few years and some crooked election official or voter registration clerk decided he was going to "lose" any registration from say, every 10th person that didn't have the Vet stamp on their licenses or even vice versa in an effort to subtly influence an election.

I dunno, maybe that's a bad example, I can't think of something better right now. I'm tired and it's late. That said, if I was wide awake or if I was a more devious person, I might be able to think of something way more evil.

I'm just thinking it probably shouldn't be coupled to the most basic form of ID used. That somehow, someway, somebody is going to use it for some nefarious purpose.

I think that the reasoning is much less sinister than that. I think it will be used by most people to try to get out of traffic tickets. Most of those people already have some sort of veteran sticker on the back of their car and some sort of veteran license plate on their car all ready. (Texas has a large selection of various veteran based license plates). They usually try to bring up being a veteran in conversation (since the heavy contextual clues were apparently not enough). Even my father-in-law said he got a set of the "Desert Storm" plates on his car to get out of tickets. Then he got mad for getting a ticket when he ran a stop sign.
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

I understand the convenience aspect of this, but . . . I would be worried that it eventually leads to an atmosphere of subtle discrimination against those individuals without the veteran stamp on their licenses.

Maybe cops who are of a liberal mindset, like yourself, would use it as a means to discriminate against those who DO have the veteran designation.

What about the organ donar notification, quade - might not the police discriminate against drivers who don't authorize medical authorities to use their organs in case of an accident? Should we remove that designation from driver licenses to make sure that everyone is treated fairly?

It's kind of odd how you worry about discrimination in one direction, but not in the other. If you were really worried about fair treatment for all, your concern should exhibit itself in both directions.

The only advantage I would see if Florida did this?
Not having to keep a copy of my DD-214 handy for the 10% veteran's discount at Lowe's.
I wish they'd make a veteran's ID.
:P

I got one from the VA.
"I may be a dirty pirate hooker...but I'm not about to go stand on the corner." iluvtofly
DPH -7, TDS 578, Muff 5153, SCR 14890
I'm an asshole, and I approve this message

The only advantage I would see if Florida did this?
Not having to keep a copy of my DD-214 handy for the 10% veteran's discount at Lowe's.
I wish they'd make a veteran's ID.
:P

Well, they do have one, for Veterans that are service connected disabled.

I have one.

I have had cops ask to see it when they looked into my wallet as I pulled my license out.

I was once told "You can go, you already paid"

All I was doing was speeding, it was nice of him to give me a pass, it was in Macon Co. GA as well.

I figured it was within discretion as a professional courtesy.

I have had cops ask to see it when they looked into my wallet as I pulled my license out.
I was once told "You can go, you already paid"

There's the "problem" it seems, as some see it - they want a "free pass" too, without having to go through all the hassle of actually serving their country. Or they want to take away your "free pass", because they haven't earned one just like it. They either want something for nothing, or they want you to have nothing for something. Hrumph.

You earned it. They didn't. Tough shit on them.

Like what?

Heinlein, I felt, made it more than just military service, but defining a difference between a civilian and a citizen. Yes, citizenship was only achieved through one's service in the military. The link wasn't arbitrary though.

What I liked about that book was how so much of what was being talked about then (1950s) is still the same issue today (and the perception of the breakdown of society in general).

Now, to the nefarious purposes, I think there is some genuine concern for states (like California) that have veteran courts. As a vet, I kind of like the idea, but am concerned that it opens itself to abuse in some way.
So I try and I scream and I beg and I sigh
Just to prove I'm alive, and it's alright
'Cause tonight there's a way I'll make light of my treacherous life
Make light!

Like what?

Heinlein, I felt, made it more than just military service, but defining a difference between a civilian and a citizen. Yes, citizenship was only achieved through one's service in the military. The link wasn't arbitrary though.

What I liked about that book was how so much of what was being talked about then (1950s) is still the same issue today (and the perception of the breakdown of society in general).

Now, to the nefarious purposes, I think there is some genuine concern for states (like California) that have veteran courts. As a vet, I kind of like the idea, but am concerned that it opens itself to abuse in some way.

As I recall, it was military OR civil service. Been a few years since I read it last, though.
Mike
I love you, Shannon and Jim.
POPS 9708 , SCR 14706

What's that all about? Veterans get our own court system?
"I may be a dirty pirate hooker...but I'm not about to go stand on the corner." iluvtofly
DPH -7, TDS 578, Muff 5153, SCR 14890
I'm an asshole, and I approve this message