BrokenR1

Singapore?

Anyone been to Singapore? Visited, Lived, or Jumped there? I'm looking at applying for a job there for a year and wondering what it's like. DZ over in Malaysia almost 3 hours away according to dz.com but hard to find and not too consistent?

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Rap is to music what etch-a-sketch is to art.

Been there many times. There is no skydiving (you can't even fly a remote control toy airplane). JB isn't far over the border, but they're not open often; email or call in advance.
tis' a beautiful place, no doubt. Windtunnel on Sentosa Island is new, fully loaded with amenities. People are generally very friendly.
I'm there 2-3 times per year, usually for 10 days each time. Know the downtown area and quays fairly well, but getting out to the industrial areas and some of the "rural" (nothing rural in Sing) is not well known to me.
It is the shopping capital of the area. Lots of money there, and life ain't cheap.

It's hot. Bring a lot of shorts and t-shirts; they are fine everywhere except for the mosques that you may visit.

It's very clean. There are lots of rules. Huge fines for breaking the law (like $1,200 fine for jay-walking). The MRT (train) is very nice, and can take you just about anywhere in the country.

It's hot. They sell these iced-drinks on just about every block. You can get "bubbles" in them (little beads of jelly).

Mostly Chinese, but a smattering of different cultures. People are nice and friendly. You'll get hit up to visit the brothels a few times when you walk in the wrong neighborhoods.

Did I mention it's friggin' hot?
Trapped on the surface of a sphere. XKCD

So umm.... tell me more about these wrong neighborhoods. You know to avoid them. Are these brothels expensive and legal? Just want to make sure of the umm.... monetary and incarceration ramifications of wandering into a wrong neighborhood. :)

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Rap is to music what etch-a-sketch is to art.

Are these brothels expensive and legal?

Yes, prostitution is legal in Singapore. I can't answer the expensive question, because that's relative. Pretty much everything is expensive there, by my standards. But there's still lines for the brothels.

I stayed in a hotel that was in one of those areas. I watched out the window as guys lined up at the "hotel" across the street. A girl would come out, a guy would talk to her, they would go in together. A bit later, they would come out, another guy would talk to the same girl, then they would go in together. This went on pretty much all night. I guess they don't mind taking turns.
Trapped on the surface of a sphere. XKCD