TrophyHusband

What's it like living in Utah?

If my wife stays in the Air Force we'll be going to Alaska. She's put out resumes mostly in Washington (where I would prefer to go), but she did put one out in Tooele, Utah. Wouldn't you know it, the place in Utah offered her the job. We haven't accepted yet. They are flying us out in a couple days to check it out. I'm still hoping for something in Washington, Oregon, or maybe even the right job in Idaho, but if nothing else comes up in the next couple weeks we may take this one.

How is Utah living? For some reference, I've lived in southern Idaho. I've also been SLC a couple times and been to Park city. How is the climate, especially in the summer? I'm wanting to get away from ridiculously hot the way Florida and Idaho were. How far do I have to drive to hunt deer, elk, geese, and upland birds? I know I will be able to see a lot of mountains, but will the valley and foothills be brown most of the year? How far do I have to go for fishing and boating? Most importantly, how is the wind? If you've spent any time in this area, tell me what you think.

"Your scrotum is quite nice" - Skymama
www.kjandmegan.com

No way! Just as hot there as Southern Idaho. Buy lots of water unless you like salt tasting water :S Boise, ID or nrothern Idaho and Western Oregon and Western Washington would be a better choice. Alaska is very nice in the summer but can get depressing in the winter.....rain, snow cloudy and very seldom see the sun. Worked 5 years up there and hated the winters.[:/]

I love it an don't want to live any place else. you will have 4 seasons all the hunting you could hope for and you can be fishing someplace within 15 minutes of most anywhere you live. Best of all you will be lving someplace that by next year 1 in 5 residents will either be carrying a weapon or have the right to carry a weapon. :D I love living here. Sure there are areas in Salt Lake City to stay away from like any major city but we are still nothing like the liberal states you mentioned. Oh and we do have two nice DZ's to jump at. If you end up here you won't be disappointed based and what your looking for.

MAKE EVERY DAY COUNT
Life is Short and we never know how long we are going to have. We must live life to the fullest EVERY DAY. Everything we do should have a greater purpose.

Summers are not terrible, although sometimes August is nasty in the triple digits. However, it's a very dry heat, and not at all like the heat of Florida. Zhills in June kills me. Ogden or SLC in June is wonderful.
Idaho...definitely a tad cooler, but if you're in the flat portions of Idaho, it's the same as SLC but without the cooling winds.
To hunt deer, I have to step off my back porch. To hunt geese, 30 mins north of Ogden is some of the best goose hunting in the USA. Elk? Lots of Royals and Monarchs come out of Utah, several B&C records from Utah lands.
Tooele? Or Dugway? Tooele is 5 mins from Skydive Utah, my home DZ. You're 50 mins from Skydive Ogden, a very nice DZ north of SLC.
Tooele is 15 mins from my house (I'm on the mountain south of Tooele).
Tooele or Ogden are great. Downtown SLC is great. SLC 'burbs are a tad antisocial unless you're devout Mormon, but you'd learn to quickly deal with "oh my heck" and jello heads.
SLC and surrounding areas are not deserts, especially Tooele area, as there is plenty of water to keep it green. Also, if it does get hot, Park City, Bear Lake, or Cottonwood Canyons (Big and Little) are very short drives. It never, ever is hot in those areas.
I'm a fan of Utah. It has its quirks like anywhere else, but there is a reason it's one of the top places to live in the USA.
If you get out to Tooele, be sure to check out Sostanza on Main Street, tell Nick or Spiros that I sent ya. Great Thai place there too. Small town community with big city opportunities. Skydive Utah is open every day but Tuesday. If you're in Tooele, you're 5 mins or less from the DZ.