dirtbox

Which car?

Also, don't forget about insurance. Basic liability insurance is required by law in most (if not every) state in the US. If you get caught driving without insurance, your car will be impounded and you'll be in a heap of trouble with substantial fines and court appearances.

Along those same lines, whatever you work out with regards to your license, vehicle registration and insurance, make sure you have every document you can think of in the car with you at all times. You might even want to make copies of everything and keep an extra set of them stored in a different place (in case of water damage of otherwise) and leave a set with your girlfriend so she can fax them to you in case you lose everything.

Cops in the US are a mixed breed. Some are cool and just looking for people who are really doing something 'wrong', but others are dicks who are looking for any reason to bust someone, even if it's on a technicality. The more documentation you have, the less chance they can find to give you a hard time.

You might have a huge advantage if you have an international drivers license. When you whip that thing out, it seems like the majority of cops would rather just send you on your way than try to make heads or tails of that thing.

You might have a huge advantage if you have an international drivers license. When you whip that thing out, it seems like the majority of cops would rather just send you on your way than try to make heads or tails of that thing.

That's how it worked with me when i was speeding through the back roads of Florida.
Cop pulled me over I was doing 20MPH above posted,
He looked at my Aussie license and said, please slow down sir, and off i went.
You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

I'd go for either a cheap People Carrier (I think the yanks call the mini-vans

Vskydiver and I take all but the two front seats out of our mini van and sleep in it when we camp. We have cardboard shades for the windows, and all the gear and bags go in the front seats at night. We sleep quite well on the air mattress in the back. It's warm, it's waterproof, quieter inside than a tent, and the bears have a hard time eating you too. B|

bears... why can't you just have poisonous everything like me do in Aus :P. I oringinally wnated a people mover (I have one in Aus before I left with all the seat removed) but I don't have anywhere to store the seats while I am there B|

We have some poisonous stuff too. :P

So get a minivan (people-mover) and just get rid of the seats. Sell them to a junkyard, give them to a DZ for "benches", have someone put them on Craigslist or something similar.

You will lose a bit when you sell it, but you are planning on selling it fast when you leave, so you won't be getting a premium price for it anyway, Right?

The Chrysler Corp minivans (Dodge and Chrysler) are as close to "ubiquitous" as you get here in the US. 4 or 6 cyl, some nifty features (the newer ones have seats that drop into the floor, eliminating the "seat issue" for you) and are mostly reliable (not as good as a good Japanese model, but they've gotten a lot better).
"There are NO situations which do not call for a French Maid outfit." Lucky McSwervy

"~ya don't GET old by being weak & stupid!" - Airtwardo

So an update - I picked up a Hyundai Santa Fe from craigs list. Seems to do well on gas and things seem good with it. Slept in it last night (just fits a queens size blow up mattress) however I'll be camping normally (taking the advice of the tent/good bag). Also banged out 15 jumps this weekend (I'm beat). Trying to decide where to go next - thinking I would like to be at the Halloween boogie in Arizona but open to suggestions.

Thank you to everyone that helped - maybe I'll see you round some time:)

:)