AggieDave

VW German Look project is nearly done

I'm getting really close to being done with my Volkswagen '73 1303 German Look project. I got this car in 1995 and rebuilt it on a high school kid's budget. Four years ago I decided to rebuild the car on an adult's budget and build it the way I always wanted to.

It has a 2187cc motor that I built, with 044 cast heads that have a 42mm intake and a 37.5mm exhaust, with 1.4:1 ratio rockers and dual Weber IDF44s; all built on a CB Performance all aluminum case. The front end was rebuilt using Top Line's MaXX struts, sway bar and disc conversion (drilled out to a 4x100 bolt pattern and lowered 2.5")...well, to cut it short, every system on the car has been rebuilt and custom built.

It has been a four year long project and I'm getting very close to being done. This is what I've been working on when I haven't been swooping, making babies (we're due again in November) and training for power lifting.:)
(Check linked and attached)

https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-fgu2qnCvTzs/Tm1RNhWS2_I/AAAAAAAAEus/sTbkWuYOGRQ/s912/PassSideForWeb.jpg

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-Z49EVNovrWE/Tm1ROHzxigI/AAAAAAAAEuw/nHe0zeeBt9Y/s912/DSC_0007ForWeb.jpg
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

You did all that work on the motor and you didn't chrome the tins?

Thank god!

Yeah, I'm not a fan of chrome engine tin, it retains too much heat. That's a fresh Scat set that I painted. What sucks is with the oversized aluminum case and 94mm pistons, the tin doesn't fit and had to be cut on a LOT. I'm still cutting down the breast plate to fit right (even worst with the big merged exhaust).

Looks good ... definitely not your father's or grandfather's beetle. Sure it may not be as fast as a turbo or a super charged car, but will you be able to track it to see what it's really capable of doing instead of having to pull yourself over on the public roads and arresting yourself? LOL

Try not to worry about the things you have no control over

Hi Dave,

That photo of the Type 1 engine brought back a lot of memories; I rebuilt a Type 1 four times.

I got fairly good at it. I also modified/souped-up a 1600 cc Porsche engine, back in the day.

JerryBaumchen

PS) I actually built my own floor-mount engine stand so I could twirl the engine around.

Looks good ... definitely not your father's or grandfather's beetle. Sure it may not be as fast as a turbo or a super charged car, but will you be able to track it to see what it's really capable of doing instead of having to pull yourself over on the public roads and arresting yourself? LOL

Maybe. I might be able to sneak it onto our training facility which has a road course track (among many other autocross style technical driving courses).

Someday I would like to put a CB Performance fuel injected system on it (which is built off of Weber IDA style throttle bodies). This I could put baskets on it and twin turbos...There are some setups like that (with a crank with a stroke one size larger than mine) putting out near 500bhp! Then again, reliability takes a really hard nose dive when you start getting to that range.

For me, I think a 2187cc will be good for a semi-daily driver.

Someday I would like to put a CB Performance fuel injected system on it (which is built off of Weber IDA style throttle bodies). This I could put baskets on it and twin turbos...There are some setups like that (with a crank with a stroke one size larger than mine) putting out near 500bhp! Then again, reliability takes a really hard nose dive when you start getting to that range.

I have only been tracking my car for three years now, but it did not take long to learn:

DO NOT JUDGE A CAR BY IT'S EXTERNAL APPEARANCE

It would be funny as hell if you got your Beetle to the point where it performed really well and then showed up when someone thought they were up against just a normal Beetle and you proceeded to smoke them (preferably on the track). Just remember one important thing with real engine cars, get your braking done before the corner and be back on the gas in the corner. This applies to all cars, but is extremely important for those of us with the engines behind our rear axles. :o

Try not to worry about the things you have no control over

A number of years ago one of the VW magazines (VW Trends, I think) held a race between a 911 and a VW built similarly to mine (slightly larger motor, 944 brakes and a Porsche tranny). The VW flat out SMOKED the 911. Mainly due to the weight of the vehicle, the VW could go much deeper into the corners before having to scrub speed and turn.

I'm still trying to figure out how Dave can fit into a bug.
The one time I tried to drive one I couldn't close the door because there wasn't enough space for my knee between the steering wheel and the door.:S

"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.