CloudyHead

Honest opinion about age difference...

if you have to ask then yes, obviously YOU think there's an issue.

Question for you to help gauge, What would your response be if your daughter came home with a guy that much older
You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

I've been a 19-year-old girl dating a 28-year-old man. It worked just fine for me. We went out off and on for several years, and remained friends after that.

When she acts her younger age, don't take advantage of it. That's really the key -- remember sometimes that she's going to say or do things that will remind you that she's an impressionable 19-year-old, and you'll already know better.

Don't take advantage of her.

Wendy P.

+1

OP, it's not our place to judge your situation. We don't know either of your experiences, beliefs, etc. If you legitimately like this woman, then treat her with respect and go for it. You WILL receive shit for this; just expect it, and brush it off.

I was 19 and my husband was 28 when we first started dating almost 10 years ago. He broke up with me twice over the same concerns about the age difference. He soon realized that despite the age difference, we had the same maturity level. After a year of dating including 6 months of a long-distance relationship while I lived and worked in Australia, we moved in together and things have been good ever since.

I think for a 19 year old I was fairly mature. I was self-supportive, had recently moved across the country to work full-time in skydiving and was very independent. The not being able to go to a bar thing was frustrating sometimes, but nobody ever checked my ID at a DZ campfire.B|

As a now 28 year old I look at 19 year olds and wonder what the hell my husband was thinking! :P

"Life is a temporary victory over the causes which induce death." - Sylvester Graham

I wasn't living with them, and didn't discuss things like that with them early on. They met him, and were OK with him, but my mother thought he was somewhat immature (probably right, and probably why he was interested in a 19-year-old who made it clear she wasn't an easy lay).

They trusted my judgment.

Wendy P.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

another small problem is when you want to go out with your friends to an over 21 establishment, she cant get in. happens more than you might think. good luck

I'd be worried about this but the main equalizer for the age difference is whether or not you have a good job. If you have a good back story (good career) then you'll seem like less of a creepster at the family get together/christmas/thanksgiving dinner table but you're fighting an uphill battle either way. I'm 27 and I guess i'd date a 19 year old but just for fun as surely we'd be light years apart intellectually. I think "mature 19 year old" is an oxymoron.

If both parties are over the age of consent, then it's no one else's business.

True, but it doesn't mean no one else is gonna care. A parent's instinct to want their children to stay out of harm's way does not disappear at the kids' age of majority.

9 years isn't bad. I don't think it's much about the age difference as much as it is her age. 19 is just too young to be too serious. Sometimes it does work out though I guess, just safer to live a little first.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Rap is to music what etch-a-sketch is to art.

to an over 21 establishment

Again, the OP is not in a backwards country where the age of majority and the drinking age are different.

its 19 everywhere in this country except Alberta, quebec and manitoba which is 18.
So you're right.. this is NOT AN ISSUE. It's going to be awhile before i start making trips to Eloy, and there's no other reason why I would go to the states at this point.

This is funny! I was 19 when I made my first jump, which was also my first plane ride. When I was twenty, I started dating a jumper in his early forties. We were together for over 3 years. My parents loved him! Everything was good until he retired from the Marine Corps. He couldn't handle it and kind of fell apart. I guess the world as he knew it changed too much.

I guess my point is that age, in and of itself, isn't necessarily a problem. I always dated guys that were significantly older, and other than the sideways looks, it was never an issue. It was never the reason that it didn't last.

That being said, my husband is only 10 months older than I. I don't think that our ages are the reason we've been together almost 30 years. It takes much more than relative ages to make or break a relationship.

As it's been said, how you treat each other is key.
lisa
WSCR 594
FB 1023
CBDB 9

Basic algebra:

(29/2 +7 = 21.9) = (Ass kicking by her father)

Erin and I just barely made the threshold when we started up together, I was 37 and she was 25. A couple months later I turned 38 and we were outside the boundaries for a few months. But 5 years later, I'm 42, she's 30, all is good. Her dad can't say much, as his wife is only 2 months older than me. The more awkward issue was my daughter, who, at 23, is much closer to Erin's age than I am, but that worked out too, and she'll be one of Erin's bridesmaids next year. B|

Blues,
Dave
"I AM A PROFESSIONAL EXTREME ATHLETE!"
(drink Mountain Dew)

My friend Tom has a couple teenagers; A girl and a boy.
When he learned his 17yo daughter was dating a 27yo guy, he was not thrilled about it, but he knew better than to try to stop it. She is starting (a local) college this fall, and they are still together.
"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

Depends on how serious you are I guess?
I mean one of the girls I'm seeing on and off is 22, great body and interesting personality. She is enrolled in a university and is about to graduate. We talk about if she should go for her masters or should study law. Another girl is in her early 50's she is a manager of a bank, divorced had two kids who ware only 10 years younger than me...she brings over lunch and we lay in bed talking about how I can refinance my condo and escape.
I'm not taking either relationship seriously.
I guess the only real issue is....can she drink? Since there are a few laws regarding that. Other than that...have fun right?
Life through good thoughts, good words, and good deeds is necessary to ensure happiness and to keep chaos at bay.

The only thing that falls from the sky is birdshit and fools!

It's likely you will come up against obstacles when it comes to things you can only know from experience... You may know and she may *think* she knows but neither of you can anticipate how things will turn out when both of you mature and develop further...

She probably has a longer way to go in terms of really getting to know herself, but that is not necessarily a bad thing if you are supportive and encourage her to be her.

As Quade said... Statistically, most relationships end in tears anyway!! :D:D

"There is no problem so bad you can't make it worse."
- Chris Hadfield
« Sors le martinet et flagelle toi indigne contrôleuse de gestion. »
- my boss

WTF is the big issue with drinking?
Some of you guys seem to think the world revolves around drinking. Well, my bad. For some of you, that's probably true.
:S:S:S

No problem here with the age difference. It is what it is. I'm thinking it better to look at the person rather than the age.

My reality and yours are quite different.
I think we're all Bozos on this bus.
Falcon5232, SCS8170, SCSA353, POPS9398, DS239

WTF is the big issue with drinking?
Some of you guys seem to think the world revolves around drinking. Well, my bad. For some of you, that's probably true.
:S:S:S

No problem here with the age difference. It is what it is. I'm thinking it better to look at the person rather than the age.

I couldn't agree more!!!
"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.