kallend

Looks like a Saturn to me

online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424053111904060604576570583021682082.html

Looks like a Saturn V with a couple of SRBs strapped on the sides.

Sounds like it has about the same lift capacity as a Saturn V as well.

Its slighly smaller, but other that that whats the advantage over the Saturn V?

Perhaps it will be made in China.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

Sounds like it has about the same lift capacity as a Saturn V as well.

Its slighly smaller, but other that that whats the advantage over the Saturn V?

Well, there is no Saturn V.

This is actually funny ( I follow Nasa news ). This is an Ares V ( which evil Bush and Mike Griffin planned. ) Everyone said that wouldnt work, junk.
So here it is with a new name and it is great. I like it, I just want us to fly. And yesterday ATK in Utah said they would make Ares 1, I mean Liberty, the new name!!!!! And we have the Orion spacecraft, I mean the new whatever name it has now !!!! It is all very funny except that there is no mission for them, except space station. Maybe that will change.

.... which evil Bush and Mike Griffin planned. ).....

doubt it ... bush could plan a bowel movement -- it may have been planned on his watch but would have had fuck all to do with him. Politicians just like to claim stuff.

(.)Y(.)
Chivalry is not dead; it only sleeps for want of work to do. - Jerome K Jerome

.... which evil Bush and Mike Griffin planned. ).....

doubt it ... bush could plan a bowel movement -- it may have been planned on his watch but would have had fuck all to do with him. Politicians just like to claim stuff.

bush must have a pretty big watch then! :P
“Some may never live, but the crazy never die.”
-Hunter S. Thompson
"No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try."
-Yoda

You know ... this is truly a sad time we live in. The article says the first manned flight will be in 2021. Lemme see ... that's 10 years from now. Back in the 60's, we went from NO manned flights ... zero ... zip ... nadda ... to a man on the moon in less than 10 years.

Have we ever slipped as a nation...!!!... Profoundly sad indeed.

You know ... this is truly a sad time we live in. The article says the first manned flight will be in 2021. Lemme see ... that's 10 years from now. Back in the 60's, we went from NO manned flights ... zero ... zip ... nadda ... to a man on the moon in less than 10 years.

If they would have stuck with the Ares program, which at the time it got canned had gone through two test launches, if I recall correctly, we could have been back to manned flights a lot sooner, but what do I know....

Fucking political meddling.... :|
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

The first two graphics in the article look more like the Saturn. Bu the last graphic (on the right) looks quite different. Which one is it really?

If I had the chance, I'd ride that sucker in a flash.
My reality and yours are quite different.
I think we're all Bozos on this bus.
Falcon5232, SCS8170, SCSA353, POPS9398, DS239

What else should it look like?

I always thought they should look like this.

see attached! :P
“Some may never live, but the crazy never die.”
-Hunter S. Thompson
"No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try."
-Yoda

The first two graphics in the article look more like the Saturn. Bu the last graphic (on the right) looks quite different. Which one is it really?

If I had the chance, I'd ride that sucker in a flash.

I'm sure the one on the chart is more correct. The pretty pictures were just some artist's concept using existing stuff. Pretty poor try, if you ask me.

I'd ride that sucker too. B|

If they would have stuck with the Ares program, which at the time it got canned had gone through two test launches, if I recall correctly, we could have been back to manned flights a lot sooner, but what do I know....

Fucking political meddling.... :|

Pie in the sky grandiose schemes... have to be funded... [:/][:/]:(

No Bucks... No Buck Rogers

Perhaps a few less wars since I was a kid in the 1950's and 1960's.... and we WOULD have been a lot farther out into space.

Saturn first stage used F1 engines with kerosene/LOX propellants. Per the article, this will use SSME's with LH2/LOX propellants. That's a pretty big change.

Pretty big difference in Isp.

"Once we got to the point where twenty/something's needed a place on the corner that changed the oil in their cars we were doomed . . ."
-NickDG

Perhaps a few less wars since I was a kid in the 1950's and 1960's.... and we WOULD have been a lot farther out into space.

I think it might be the opposite. [:/]

If CCCP had not been so shitty at manned space vehicle development, (but just as ambitious), and "Russia" had not gone through it's regular 30 year re-organization, we would still be in a space race.

Saturn V was supposed to take men to VENUS in the 70s, but russia pulled out like a bunch of bitches, so there was no motivation.

This Saturn V look alike is just like the 20 other "in development" space vehicles NASA tries to use to stimulate public interest, only to be just down by the next leaders due to "budget cuts".

Saturn V was supposed to take men to VENUS in the 70s, but russia pulled out like a bunch of bitches, so there was no motivation.

Uh... I don't think we want to go to Venus...

I don't know what the NFPA placards would look like for the surface of Venus... but they wouldn't look good.

I agree a LANDING would not be an ideal venture short of "defying gravity" scifi, but the 'plan' was to send some flyboys out there for not much shy of 2 years.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Manned_Venus_Flyby

Uh... I don't think we want to go to Venus...

I don't know what the NFPA placards would look like for the surface of Venus... but they wouldn't look good.

Isn't Venus way too fucking hot for any manned missions?
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban