tfelber

The New Axon

I demo'd the new Axon by Innovative Parachute Technologies while at the Holiday Boogie. I wasn't looking for a new canopy, I just bought a Nitro 135 at the WFFC, I just wanted to see what difference there was between this new canopy and all the other stuff I've demo'd. Well, I was pleasantly surprised!

First, the only 135 I have flown is my Nitro. I did, however, try all the semi-elliptical 150's in Rantoul this year prior to buying the Nitro. You should be able to search and find those reviews here.

The openings on the Axon were quick, but not violent. There was a noticable transition from line stretch to inflation to slider down. I think this was one of the keys to the openings not being violent and the canopy's on heading nature. I tried someone else's pack job and packed it myself several times. It seemed to open the same regardless. When I packed it, I simply released the nose from between my legs, quartered the slider, and rolled the tail, so I'm sure you could slow the openings easily if you desired.

Once open, I released the breaks and there was a very noticable surge as the canopy went into full flight. The toggles felt very similar to my Nitro, but when I grabbed the risers the Axon felt very ground hungry. I could clearly distinguish the difference in vertical speed between the Nitro and the Axon. On releasing the riser the recovery arch felt very similar, however I did not try anything very close to the ground so my perceptions may be scewed.

On landing, the Axon had so much more forward speed (about ten mph) than the Nitro that I was caught a little off guard. But when I flared it behaved very respectively and I came to a hault without incident.

Since I had two rigs, I switched between the Axon and the Nitro several times and the more I jumped the Axon the more I liked it. The additional forward speed was very exhilarating. I'm not a swooper, but I can clearly see why people enjoy swooping.

I heard someone was quite negative regarding the Axon's performance during one of the evening seminars and all I can say is this canopy was never intended to be a Katana, or Crossfire. But if your interested in finding an enjoyable, mid-level, semi-elliptical canopy don't overlook the Axon.

On landing, the Axon had so much more forward speed (about ten mph) than the Nitro that I was caught a little off guard. But when I flared it behaved very respectively and I came to a hault without incident.

I'm questioning how fast the canopy really was going here. Most canopies have a hard time accelerating more then 3-5 mph then another model of the same size. Usually this speed is picked up by going for a very ground hungry glide slope. But you say this canopy goes 10 mph faster then the same size Nitro on a straight in approach?
Yesterday is history
And tomorrow is a mystery

Parachutemanuals.com

Jumped one.. Loved it

I jumped the 170.. and is the most highly loaded canopy I have jumped to date. I videoed each of the openings and all of them were very good and on heading. When it was rolled as I normally like it the opening was soft and on heading... when it was packed with no roll on the nose and just a normal propack it opened briskly but not uncomfortably.

The flight was good but I would have preferred a bit more time while under canopy but a boogie with a 3500 ft ceiling was not a good place for opening high and really wringing it out.

The handling was excellent although the toggle pressure was a bit more than what I am used to on my Samurai.

The landings were VERY nice.. with plenty of lift and a good surf in the low wind conditions.I just had to fly the canopy till the speed was gone and then it shut down noicely.

The canopy is VERY well constructed and has similar performance to a Sabre2 or to a Pilot. I think ANYone who tries one will be pleasantly surprised.

But you say this canopy goes 10 mph faster then the same size Nitro on a straight in approach?

It may have been 7-8mph, but it wasn't due to acceleration. It was stable straight in flight which equates to fixed velocity and zero acceleration.

I didn't have a radar tracking my speed, but I'm quite good at estimating differences in speed due to roadracing motorcycles professionally for 7 years. When you don't have a speedo you better be pretty good at knowing how fast you went through the turn last time so you don't go to fast and crash the next time. Keith Code told me that the best roadracers could sense 1 mph change in speed easily.

No I didn't. What I understood was the Blade was similar to a Katana or Stiletto and that is not what I was looking for. In fact, I was looking for a 150, but Beezy asked me to try the 135 and I really liked it.

Not to mention, the Nitro was the easiest new canopy to pack I have ever seen, the Axon was way better for packing (less slippery) than the Pilot or the Sabre2. The Safire I jumped had a few hundred jumps on it.

the Axon was way better for packing (less slippery) than the Pilot or the Sabre2

The Axon is the very same material as a Sabre2 and my Samurai from Big Air.... but the AXON demo canopies were broken in a little.. so they were not bad to pack at all.

The openings on the Axon were quick, but not violent.

You are lucky sir. I put 1 jump on the Axon at the Holiday Boogie and had by far what was the worst opening I've experienced in my short time in this sport. I grunted very loudly - and involuntarily. Not fun.

Aside from the opening, I actually thought it was a pretty cool ride. ;)

The FAKE KRAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAMER!!!!!!!!!

Is there really a market share for a small time manufacture like this? I'm just thinking that there are far more lightly elliptical 9 cell canopies on the market than anything else, many manufactured by companies that are tried, tested, and true. Seems to me if you want to get into the canopy manufacturing business (and actually make money), at this point you better have something unique, or something substantially less expensive. I would never pay $1600 for a run-of-the-mill canopy from a manufacture that is unheard of and could easily be out of business in a year.

Is it just me?

Canuck

Not everyone starts a business just because of the profit that may come from it. Some start with a pssion. I for one am glad there are people like the no matter what I think of their products, as it breeds new ideas, and keeps the competition jumping.

Or do we really want Skydiving equipment to become "Wal-mart-ized"?:P
----------------------------------------------
You're not as good as you think you are. Seriously.

from a manufacture that is unheard of

Acutally in the sport market that would be a true statement.
IPT is a holding of Armor Holdings (Aerospace Defense Group) which have extensive military contracts in the manufacture of parachuting goods. Simula is also a part of Armor Holding.
You can check them out here: www.armorholdings.com

With that said, I would offer that 2-3 jumps on any new to you(figuretively) canopy isn't really a good indication of its true performance.;)