Amazon

Boats (detached from the truck thread)

my little boat. 1965 Starcraft, 1969 40 Hp Evinrude. Oh, and my 1974 wife. :P

Ahhhh Starcraft... a good friend had one that I have fond memories of. It was a great little 22' we used to drag all over to go fishing. His health was not great so I usually ended up doing most of the work on it for him and his wife. We went halibut fishing out of Neah Bay a few years ago.... and he took it home full of fish. Ken was a cool old guy.

I caught this just this morning. It took me quite a while to get this thing in with the light rod and reel I was using. Good thing I had it loaded with braided line because he took several runs that may have spooled mono. He was 37 inches long. I didn't have a scale so I don't know what he weighed. They have to be thrown back over 27 inches which is fine, they aren't good eating that big anyway.

Noice....

:)
I jumped on the braided line a LONG time ago. I just respooled all my reels this year with new stuff.

I fish in difficult waters.... and braided gets the fish to the boat.... I see way too many "sports guys" out there struggling and getting into dangerous situations as they try to fight and land large fish with tackle too light for the task. The worst part to me.. is many of those very fine fish end up swimming away with all that tackle still attached to them with all the line from the "sports guys" reel to just go off and die when they tire of fighting all that weight of the entagled crap[:/]

Such a waste

Edited to add...

We only got two nookies a 30 pound and 24 pound over the weekend. Next week we start targeting the silvers... they are still kinda small.. and I do so love the bragging rights at the cleaning station when the "sports guys" are all cleaning 3 to 4 pound silvers:):)

Jeannie...I dont know about where you fish...but I do saltwater 99% of the time...If I leave a hook in a fishes mouth it'll be gone within a matter of days from the seawater eroding it away. I personally own a 19 foot Nitro bay boat with a 90 HP merc. Ive been working my ass off to catch a tagged redfish from the CCA Star tournament...no luck so far. GW's are nice...but I'm into center consoles myself...if I had MY ultimate boat..it'd be this one...The Yellowfin 36!

http://www.yachtworld.com/boats/2012/Yellowfin-36-2378829/babylon/NY/United-States

Jeannie...I dont know about where you fish...but I do saltwater 99% of the time...If I leave a hook in a fishes mouth it'll be gone within a matter of days from the seawater eroding it away. I personally own a 19 foot Nitro bay boat with a 90 HP merc. Ive been working my ass off to catch a tagged redfish from the CCA Star tournament...no luck so far. GW's are nice...but I'm into center consoles myself...if I had MY ultimate boat..it'd be this one...The Yellowfin 36!

http://www.yachtworld.com/boats/2012/Yellowfin-36-2378829/babylon/NY/United-States

I think you will find the salt content off our coast a tad less than in the Gulf.

That would be a cool boat.. up here... you would be VERY cool a lot of the time;)

Air temps over this weekend never got above the mid 60's.. and the water temps in the Columbia are abnormally high right now.. I was looking at 69.7 degree water at the Astoria Bridge on my Garmin sonar... and even the water temps out at the CR bouy on Satruday were 56 degrees with all that warm water from the east side of the state running down and dumping into the Pacific.

http://wikimapia.org/#lat=46.2458757&lon=-124.0381336&z=14&l=0&m=b

http://www.bing.com/maps/?v=2&cp=46.22708580579571~-124.02717959128372&lvl=12&dir=0&sty=h&form=LMLTCC

The problem here.. is the tides and currents are severe and a fish.. even a large one with all the weight... ie large diver.. large flasher etc.. is heavy. Salmon are not the hardiest fish in the world when encumbered by that much crap hanging from their mouth... and I am not buying the hooks rot away in a few days either. I have hung gear off the dock in my slip.. and had it still hanging there the next summer. Typically I use salmon mooching rigs ( Eagle Claw 5/0 6/0 woth 40 pound mono leader) below the diver and flasher or 16 ounce to 24 ounce banana sinker and flasher.

Yeah thats a really good point. Down here right now its 104. During the night its well over 85 deegrees and the water is even around that temperature. I guess Im used to being in shorts most of the year. But I'll admit...I'm a total pussy when it comes to cold water. :ph34r: If you need a knowledgeable deckhand let me know :)

$10?!!!! I've paid $20 to ramp launck my 20' barefoot boat!

You could always get this... no more ramp launching
http://london.craigslist.co.uk/boa/2557789476.html
she is beautiful... but that would mean no barefooting either.. but he could begin planking games :)
scissors beat paper, paper beat rock, rock beat wingsuit - KarlM

Oh....oh....oh....visions of that and an all-female crew sailing the ocean blue...*swoon*
My reality and yours are quite different.
I think we're all Bozos on this bus.
Falcon5232, SCS8170, SCSA353, POPS9398, DS239

Oh....oh....oh....visions of that and an all-female crew sailing the ocean blue...*swoon*

What.... you would not want Mel on board for entertainment purposes???

:ph34r:

I've been reading about how the population has greatly increased as well as the average size once these slot limits were put in place. I've also read that they aren't very good eating when they get that big. I've also caught some big black drum that were full of worms and I envisioned this fish being wormy as well. Given all of that, it was pretty easy to let him go.

In my experience the Reds are not anywhere near as wormy as the Black Drum, but I've cut into very few big ones of either variety. Don't really know the reason but I expect it might have to do with the age of the fish? I believe the Reds grow much more quickly than black drum.

Regulator...you keep your hooks off my tagged fish!!! I haven't checked the leader board this week but last I checked we had one truck/boat for a tagged Red left in the middle coast. I've been fishing like crazy lately too just hoping for that big trout or tagged red. My buddy fished the surf yesterday for a few hours. Said it was beautiful, with 6" to 1 foot breakers on the first bar and that was it. Had all sorts of decent size trout checking out his topwater but ended the day having caught about a dozen skipjack 3ft or larger. He had fun doing it, but still pretty frustrated.
Killing threads since 2004.

I bought a little boat to get me out on the water. My middle son has already christened it. He took the pee jug up front and when I looked up there he was holding the jug in one hand, his pecker in the other, and shooting right over the top of the jug and all over the windshield. I've also got the skunk off. after several crappy catfish and a couple ladyfish, I finally landed a 34 inch Red. About an hour later I landed a 39 inch Red. A couple days after that I took a friend out and he caught the first keeper Red.

"Your scrotum is quite nice" - Skymama
www.kjandmegan.com

Well, my boats would maybe be useful as tenders for some of what you guys are cruising around in but I have a blast out on the water with them. The sailboat I built in 2008 and the rowboat I bought from Sam Devlin in Olympia, WA in April/2011.

We have a cabin at a small lake about 1 1/2 hours northwest of Saskatoon SK. My season on the water is pretty short. I have both boats in the city right now. I am doing the spring maintenance now so that as soon as it is warm next year I can get them in the water.
--
Murray

"No tyranny is so irksome as petty tyranny: the officious demands of policemen, government clerks, and electromechanical gadgets." - Edward Abbey

Well, my boats would maybe be useful as tenders for some of what you guys are cruising around in but I have a blast out on the water with them. The sailboat I built in 2008 and the rowboat I bought from Sam Devlin in Olympia, WA in April/2011.

We have a cabin at a small lake about 1 1/2 hours northwest of Saskatoon SK. My season on the water is pretty short. I have both boats in the city right now. I am doing the spring maintenance now so that as soon as it is warm next year I can get them in the water.

Messing about in small boats.... its all very very very good:)