Squeak

Lost in Translation

why is herb the plant differant from herb the persons name just dont get that one

This is one of the few examples where the British seem to take the obvious route (at least, I do - I pronounce it the way it reads). The first time I heard it pronounced 'airb' I was like, 'what did you just say?'

BUT how on Earth did we get to pronounce lieutenant as Lef-ten-ant?

My big hang up was with Colonel, why is it "Ker-nul"? I can understand how letters become silent sometimes but where does the R come from?

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Rap is to music what etch-a-sketch is to art.

Massachusetts is the worst.

Wistah = Worcester
Glostah= Gloucester

Seems that to many Americans, Leicester = "Li-chest-er". I love that one.

Them moaning about other septics getting Worcester wrong is just too funny ..

It's W'ster folks not War-cess_ter

It's not "Wistershistershire Sauce" either, but I've heard that one down here.:D

And for a bonus point can any of our American friends correctly pronounce 'Magdalen' college, Oxford?:ph34r:
Do you want to have an ideagasm?

BUT how on Earth did we get to pronounce lieutenant as Lef-ten-ant?

My big hang up was with Colonel, why is it "Ker-nul"? I can understand how letters become silent sometimes but where does the R come from?

Thats just what proper english sounds like to ignant mericans...
Your secrets are the true reflection of who you really are...

why is herb the plant differant from herb the persons name just dont get that one

This is one of the few examples where the British seem to take the obvious route (at least, I do - I pronounce it the way it reads). The first time I heard it pronounced 'airb' I was like, 'what did you just say?'

The BBC has an interesting article online that also covers the pronunciation of h: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-11642588
The sky is not the limit. The ground is.

The Society of Skydiving Ducks

i cant tell you how many times I tried to put the blinker on and my wipers went off...:S:P
Not to forget the hassle keeps on after you get home. After four weeks of driving an Australian campervan I tortured my wipers of my car at home for a while because I got used to the Aussie system :$

i cant tell you how many times I tried to put the blinker on and my wipers went off...:S:P
Not to forget the hassle keeps on after you get home. After four weeks of driving an Australian campervan I tortured my wipers of my car at home for a while because I got used to the Aussie system :$

I would say I feel for you but i dont:ph34r::ph34r:

I own an Australian Spec Hyundai car, and a VW LT35 Van (motorhome). EVERY time i switch vehicles i have to go from one style of wiper/indicator to another.>:(
Bloody Germans WONT put the control around the other way for us.:ph34r::ph34r:
You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

[

The chaos
A poem on English pronunciation
Charivarius, (G.N. Trenite: 1870–1946).

Damn, I'm glad I learned English as a native. French, Italian and Latin were a breeze compared to my Mother tongue. :S

I had to learn German while in the military... Lived in the Saarbruken area while in Germany and with so many countries near by, one quickly learns that if they learn the correct grammar for ANY other language, then to learn other languages is just a matter of learning the words. Evidently, it is we English-speakers who are the grammar screw-ups. :S:D:D
Nobody has time to listen; because they're desperately chasing the need of being heard.

Bloody Germans WONT put the control around the other way for us.:ph34r::ph34r:

Aussie friends of mine travelled the UK and complained about the controls for indicators and wiper being interchanged. Was a 1970s VW minivan ;)
At home (Carnarvon) they have a Range Rover. AFAIK the controls are the "wrong way" there as well, but I can't remember exactly. May ask them when I give them a call next time... But they also have a Holden Barina with the controls the Aussie way, so confusion is perfect B|