Sever not found

Started this afternoon for me. Approx 75% of the time, and if I'm viewing a thread with new posts, it loads the page backwards--meaning it briefly shows the new posts first and then jumps to the top of the page. It happens on both Firefox and Safari. [:/]

lisa
WSCR 594
FB 1023
CBDB 9

Started this afternoon for me. Approx 75% of the time, and if I'm viewing a thread with new posts, it loads the page backwards--meaning it briefly shows the new posts first and then jumps to the top of the page. It happens on both Firefox and Safari. [:/]

Yup internal server error and software error

I.E.8 on Xp Pro

took forever to post this
You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

I'm guessing that this server has multiple servers in the stack and relies on a load balancer. It would appear that some of the servers are fubar'd either by fault or because they're in an unreachable location. If you connect to the good ones, it works, but more often you get a bad combination.

A common architecture has 3 elements: front end web server, an application server (java), and a database. I'm seeing two different errors, making me think there could be problematic web servers and app servers. But without knowing how dropzone.com is structured, just guessing.

I'm going to give it another 12 hours to auto-correct itself, but if it's still doing it tomorrow I will do further investigation.

Wrong answer!

This is a serious problem, happening with great frequency, to a large number of people. Just look at how small the new forum message numbers are today.

This is not something you should just ignore and hope that it goes away. An I.T. person in the business world would not be allowed to survive with that attitude.

Pull your head out of the sand and do something.

I'm going to give it another 12 hours to auto-correct itself, but if it's still doing it tomorrow I will do further investigation.

Wrong answer!

This is a serious problem, happening with great frequency, to a large number of people. Just look at how small the new forum message numbers are today.

This is not something you should just ignore and hope that it goes away. An I.T. person in the business world would not be allowed to survive with that attitude.

Eh, as only a user that pays nothing, I find it annoying.

If I was a paying advertiser, I would be royally pissed.
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

Wrong answer!

Indeed - as this is a recreational site, not an e-commerce one, the need for immediate recovery is not the same.

That said, I think it's extremely unlikely to auto correct itself. The only scenario I envision where this could occur is if some of the servers are in a separate location and the network connectivity between them is down, and that gets fixed.

Meso - do you have any sort of system monitoring in place? Do you want something? After 5 years at a place (thousand server environment), I'm taking time out and doing some tech study, one topic is system monitoring. I've implemented Nagios to cover my 20 home devices and my 3 web domains. It can do a wide variety of tests, can email or sms on outages, can even access the graphical dashboard from a smart phone. If you're interested in something like this, send me a message. I got free time to offer as this would be a good exercise for me.

Us users are the reason he gets advertising dollars, so even if they have no loyalty to us users, they need to keep us busy here to drive up their page views, upon which the advertising rates are based. By allowing the page views to drop very low, they're negatively affecting how much money they can charge advertisers. And all of that is based upon the people that hang out here, so they deserve to be treated as customers who are worth something. And the advertisers have certain expectations also, and should not be ignored, especially since they're paying money to be here.

I really doubt that the problem is being ignored. Keep in mind that at the time meso posted, it was only he and I that had reported a problem. I never got "internal server error" messages until today at ~4:30 PM PST. Prior to that it was only "server not found." I also got the "server not found" errors on a couple other sites yesterday, making me think it was a problem with my ISP's DNS server. IIRC, meso reported something similar.

Oh, yeah. I meant to type seRver[:/]

"Once we got to the point where twenty/something's needed a place on the corner that changed the oil in their cars we were doomed . . ."
-NickDG

Us users are the reason he gets advertising dollars, so even if they have no loyalty to us users, they need to keep us busy here to drive up their page views, upon which the advertising rates are based. By allowing the page views to drop very low, they're negatively affecting how much money they can charge advertisers. And all of that is based upon the people that hang out here, so they deserve to be treated as customers who are worth something. And the advertisers have certain expectations also, and should not be ignored, especially since they're paying money to be here.

I only encountered the error today at work on my PC and now on my Mac. And when I tried to reply, I also received an error message.

I just thought give it a second ... it's going to [url "http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8r1CZTLk-Gk"[/url]space!
'Shell

Wrong answer!

I tend to try to be courteous and polite when dealing with site issues, even with irate users, but your post is just obnoxious and fails to take the situation into account.

Would you perhaps like to re-read the thread and take into account the times at which they are posted? And please take note that it was 1 person reporting receiving any problems while the rest were saying it was fine.

At the time I said I will give it 12 hours there were NO other reports apart from the one who created the thread. I'm not going to log a ticket for 1 user experiencing problems, otherwise I would be logging 40 a day. If people are having issues they need to speak up, how are we supposed to guess that it's affecting X amount of people. Everyone else said they weren't having an issue.

An I.T person who logged a ticket for every complaint received would not be allowed to survive with that attitude.

We can only gauge how large a problem is by reports on the issue. And during server problems we usually get between 5 and 10 e-mail complaints, at the time of my post there were NONE.

As soon as it became apparent that it was actually a server issue and not just a user issue (once 2 people had reported the problem) a ticket was filed with the server, which I am waiting for a reply on.

Still seems to be screwed this side, I fear it may be a few more hours until a real fix (you guys may be getting lucky) A response from the server host should be received within the next 1-8 hours.

I am hoping that it's solved quickly though, as I am without electricity at home for an unknown amount of days, which makes dealing with the site issues outside of the office a bit of a problem.

Still seems to be screwed this side, I fear it may be a few more hours until a real fix (you guys may be getting lucky) A response from the server host should be received within the next 1-8 hours.

I am hoping that it's solved quickly though, as I am without electricity at home for an unknown amount of days, which makes dealing with the site issues outside of the office a bit of a problem.

no probs what so ever for the last 45mins Meso.
You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

I have received a reply from the host provider that they received my ticket and are currently in the process of investigating the matter.

Good to hear that some users are at least able to post, though I'm still struggling, especially through the administrative validations panel. It's like the server isn't able to write data, I have never received any error on viewing, but only when an action is taken that is going to write data it locks up for me.