CazmoDee

Headphones

If it's legal for someone who is deaf to drive a car or ride a motorcycle, why did I get pulled for wearing headphones???? Nicer cars today are so sound insulated you can't hear much of what is going on outside and I don't need to bring up LOUD stereos.... I don't get it. [:/]
I'm behind the bar at Sloppy Joe's....See ya in the Keys!

Muff 4313

Because it's the law?

Lots of laws come from a time when they actually made quite a bit of sense. This one might be a bit antiquated in light of some realities today, but my guess is it's still a good idea in general.

Quit your bitchin'. You took a drivers' test and my guess is it was in the handbook you studied somewhere. It certainly shouldn't have come as a surprise.
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

> If it's legal for someone who is deaf to drive a car or ride a motorcycle, why
>did I get pulled for wearing headphones?

Well, it's legal for handicapped people to park in handicapped spots, but you'll get a ticket if you park there as well. A lot of laws try to prevent hammering the disabled too much, and so they have exclusions for people who are deaf, crippled etc.

Nicer cars today are so sound insulated you can't hear much of what is going on outside

An average emergency vehicle siren is 110db. The average interior noise level of an average car is 70-75db (with out the stereo on). Not only does the sound of a siren have to overpower the road noise and the stereo, but it also has to make it through the insulation in the car.

Now make that emergency vehicle something small, like a Honda ST1300 who is running code to help an officer who is currently in a shooting incident...or running code to respond to a cardiac arrest victim (and due to the location of responses, beat the fire department by 2 solid minutes to conduct CPR)...or running code to an apartment fire where that officer evacuates the apartment building that is on fire before the fire department gets there...then kicks in a couple of doors to save some pets...

Well, the point is that some important stuff happens and it helps to be aware.
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

Youre used to having your vision and hearing to navigate, take one away, you're half as good. Deaf people use their vision to navigate themselves and have to maximize the only tool they have (being more alert visually, looking more than the average non-handicap person, looking for things that "we" listen for, ect.). They know how to get the most out of their vision being deaf. You and I use both vision and hearing together, partially each, to get around.

Wearing headphones driving is giving yourself a self induced unnecessary handicap.

Edit: grammer

If it's legal for someone who is deaf to drive a car or ride a motorcycle, why did I get pulled for wearing headphones???? Nicer cars today are so sound insulated you can't hear much of what is going on outside and I don't need to bring up LOUD stereos.... I don't get it. [:/]

I don't get wearing headphones in your car. You don't GET loud stereos yet you're plugging up your ears with headphones?

If you don't get LOUD stereos, why the headphones? Plug that iPod into your stereo and enjoy the music at a reasonable level.
'Shell

I don't get wearing headphones in your car. You don't GET loud stereos yet you're plugging up your ears with headphones?

If you don't get LOUD stereos, why the headphones? Plug that iPod into your stereo and enjoy the music at a reasonable level.

I assumed they were talking about a motorbike.

I've kept out of it because I think anyone who wears earphones whilst riding is a total moron.
You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

I've kept out of it because I think anyone who wears earphones whilst riding is a total moron.

I assumed he was talking about wearing them in a car since he mentioned nicer cars and stereos.

But I think you're right, he was on a motorcycle.

Either way, I stand by my comments. Be it car or motorcycles or even a pedal bike, headphones are as you say, moronic.
'Shell

I assumed he was talking about wearing them in a car since he mentioned nicer cars and stereos.

Either way, I stand by my comments. Be it car or motorcycles or even a pedal bike, headphones are as you say, moronic.

When my dad rode, he had an integrated speaker/microphone in his helmet, so he could listen to the radio and talk on the CB. It plugged into the bike with a cable. I'm curious to know how that system is different? And actually he only used it for the CB, but the option was available.
See the upside, and always wear your parachute! -- Christopher Titus

Shut Up & Jump!

When my dad rode, he had an integrated speaker/microphone in his helmet, so he could listen to the radio and talk on the CB. It plugged into the bike with a cable. I'm curious to know how that system is different? And actually he only used it for the CB, but the option was available.

Using the intercom is not a big deal, they are designed for rider/pillion and rider/rider communication, mostly for touring. the radio facility is still moronic, but marketers sell them.
You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

I wasn't in a car, I live in Key West and ride a scooter. I had ear buds in and was waiting to receive a phone call on my way to work. I don't listen to music while I ride. There are way too many tourists paying little, if any attention to what's going on around them. I explained to the officer that the headphones were for my phone, but he was having none of it. It was afterward that I thought about the "deaf driver" thing. Sorry if I upset anyone. I don't think of myself as a moron.

Muff 4313

I wasn't in a car, I live in Key West and ride a scooter. I had ear buds in and was waiting to receive a phone call on my way to work. I don't listen to music while I ride. There are way too many tourists paying little, if any attention to what's going on around them. I explained to the officer that the headphones were for my phone, but he was having none of it. It was afterward that I thought about the "deaf driver" thing. Sorry if I upset anyone. I don't think of myself as a moron.

Several of us ride with headphones quite a bit. Some of my buddies do all the time. I think it's Florida law that headphones are a no-no but built in speakers are ok. For those that think it's moronic, shut it and be happy we even wear helmets!

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Rap is to music what etch-a-sketch is to art.

For those that think it's moronic, shut it and be happy we even wear helmets!

Fuck you, it's moronic, plain and simple. and I'm not aniti-bike, I ride all the time, have done for 39+ years.
Taking away one of your primary senses, is moronic, I don't give a fat rats arse, what you think your "mad skillz" are like.
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

For those that think it's moronic, shut it and be happy we even wear helmets!

Fuck you, it's moronic, plain and simple. and I'm not aniti-bike, I ride all the time, have done for 39+ years.
Taking away one of your primary senses, is moronic, I don't give a fat rats arse, what you think your "mad skillz" are like.

Yeah it's the mad skillz. That must be it. It can't be that you don't hear much through a helmet when you're on a motorcycle, nor the fact that cars don't bother to honk their nice little horns before running your ass over.

To quote Squeak "Fuck You!" You seriously equate earphones to not wearing a helmet, maybe wearing sandals etc? My buddy (turkish) and I were the only two people I've ever seen in Florida in full gear while not on a track. While not a squid he was still by far one of if not the craziest dudes on a bike though.

Broken "If you don't like your job then find a new one or learn to suck it up" R1

Edit to add: I take back the only two people in Florida part. On a North to South Run I do remember several people in leathers. Special group run but still a lot had full gear that day.

It can't be that you don't hear much through a helmet when you're on a motorcycle,

Try paying attention when on the bike then,
I have NO issue hearing the traffic around me when Im riding.
If you seriously think that wearing headphones and listening to music whilst riding a bike is not negatively impacting you, then you are most certainly one of the persons in my initial post.
Man the fuck up and say "i know is dumbarse, and adds unnecessary risk but I'm doing it anyways"
Don’t try and bullshit through it.
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

Taking away one of your primary senses, is moronic,...

The inverted rodent is right.
This topic comes up frequently on bikeforums.net, (cycling).
Just today I encountered a guy working on his bike on the side of the road. As per standard courtesy among cyclists, I asked him if he needed anything. No response. Then I asked again. No response. Then I saw the headphones.:S
"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

Want to get even more annoyed? I listen to my mp3 player while I'm driving via stereo bluetooth...on my hearing aids. :P;) Granted, I have to run full volume to be able to hear it reasonably well, but then again, I have to run a regular mp3 with Bose earbuds on "vaporize" to hear it at all.

G. Jones

"I've never been quarantined. But the more I look around, the more I think it might not be a bad idea."

Good for you. I guess that open face helmet on your little 125 has a plus to it after all. Try actually looking around and you won't be so dependent on hearing on trying to hear that car running you down from behind.

Never said it doesn't negatively impact. But I do think it's so minor that it doesn't matter much. It's not that it doesn't matter at all but it's so far down the list that your whining would be better spent on a myriad of other more common factors that actually matter. It's probably happened but I've never heard of an accident, injury, etc caused or aided by wearing earphones. Not paying attention, no helmet, no training is a different matter.

In the end I prefer earplugs over earphones myself. I get tired of the sound which earphones only add to and the earplugs let me hear more, easier. But I generally don't bother with either.

Not paying attention, no helmet, no training is a different matter.

quick question, what if someone is listening to music, which in doing so, is causing them to not really pay attention, and they do something that gets them hurt/killed . . . had they not had the headphones on, they would not have been distracted, and then MAY have not made the same mistake. . .

actually, i can give you an example of an accident caused not by headphones, but a loud stereo, which in principal is the same, because it blocked the persons hearing. we were going to a call in the ambulance one day, it was something minor, but we had to go with lights and sirens, we pull up behind this car, which dosent move, nowhere, to go, so were kinda stuck, well all of a sudden he swerves into the curb, blowing a tire, since we were RIGHT there and our original call was not a true emergency, we stopped real fast to see what the hell had happened, well dude had his stereo up so loud that he didnt hear us coming, and wasnt paying attention, while jamming out to his music, all of a sudden when he looked up and say a ambulance there he just swerved, causing the minor accident. . . . now mind you we had been behind this car for AT LEAST 15 seconds, so its not like we were flying up his ass forcing him out of the way. he didnt see or hear us coming, and when he did reacted badly. . . no, noone died, but it is an example of how impaired hearing DID affect someone negatively
Thanatos340(on landing rounds)--
Landing procedure: Hand all the way up, Feet and Knees Together and PLF soon as you get bitch slapped by a planet.

Good for you. I guess that open face helmet on your little 125 has a plus to it after all. Try actually looking around and you won't be so dependent on hearing on trying to hear that car running you down from behind.

Never said it doesn't negatively impact. But I do think it's so minor that it doesn't matter much. It's not that it doesn't matter at all but it's so far down the list that your whining would be better spent on a myriad of other more common factors that actually matter. It's probably happened but I've never heard of an accident, injury, etc caused or aided by wearing earphones. Not paying attention, no helmet, no training is a different matter.

In the end I prefer earplugs over earphones myself. I get tired of the sound which earphones only add to and the earplugs let me hear more, easier. But I generally don't bother with either.

you just haven’t been paying too much attention all round have you:ph34r::ph34r:
I Build and ride Cafe Racers, smallest bike i have owned is a race spec 750 Bol'dor with an 825cc race piston set.
At any given time on the road i can tell you exactly what's around me and what's approaching from the sides ahead, I can also tell you who in cars are using their mirrors, and paying attention to their driving. and who is checking makeup, looking for stuff on passenger seats, turning to deal with kids etc....

The ONLY times I have ever put a bike on it's side is when the bike and i have had limit issues, it's or mine, (usually mine) and on private roads or tracks
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

At any given time on the road i can tell you exactly what's around me and what's approaching from the sides ahead, I can also tell you who in cars are using their mirrors, and paying attention to their driving. and who is checking makeup, looking for stuff on passenger seats, turning to deal with kids etc....

Pffft, I can tell you that. Nobody. Nobody is using their mirrors or paying attention. :S Well it seems that way. I guess some are because on a few occasions I've been deliberately pushed out of my lane.

I've done some stupid things on a bike and I'm sure I'll do some more. Been down once on the street because of the perfect timing from an old Belgian guy who we think had been drinking. Twice more on the track, once at Hockenheim and once at Jennings. Lots of times on dirt. I'd like to get a little bike for the track. Something like an Aprilia 125 or Ninja 250.

I was lucky in that shortly after I started riding I went over to Belgium. It was normal to wear full leathers so that's what I got used to. I always rode with a group of about 5 Brits which were a great bunch of guys and crazy fast. I was slowest as I just couldn't get comfortable blasting through turns that I couldn't see through.

I believe a lot of times when accidents happen due to distractions whether it be headphones or cellphones those people would have found something else to be distracted by. You can only protect some people so much before they find something else to screw up.

Again....I don't listen to music when I ride. I was waiting for a phone call....hands free and all that....My commute is only about 12 minutes anyway. Not much time for anything. I just think it sucks that someone can listen to music in a car at ear bleed levels without any worry, and I get a ticket. >:(

Muff 4313