whiterabbit

Pilot chute uncocked - repack?

My last skydive was just about two months ago, and this weekend I finally have the opportunity to jump again and stay current. My previous two jumps have been on my used-but-new-to-me equipment that I bought when I came off student status this past summer.

One of the many features of this rig that wasn't present on the student gear I used during my AFF training is a collapsible pilot chute. Recently, I noticed that the little pilot chute kill-line window did not show a colored thread (after my last jump I paid to have the rig repacked). Did the packer screw up and forget to cock the PC, or is this something that could have happened over two months of unuse? (I took the PC out of the BOC a couple of times over those two months to help demonstrate to family members how parachute deployment works).

More importantly, does my parachute require a repack, or is it possible to cock the PC without taking everything apart? The chute is a Sabre 190 with the original bridle/PC.

My opinion, BUT there are others that know more...

Remember the saying that starts "If in doubt..."?

Seems like it applies here. I would open it up and repack the whole thing.

Even if there is a way to "fix" it without a complete repack, you don't need this on your mind during your next jump.
"Where troubles melt like lemon drops, away above the chimney tops, that's where you'll find me" Dorothy

Did the packer screw up and forget to cock the PC, or is this something that could have happened over two months of unuse?

Yes, or No.;)

Lets say it just uncocked sitting in the bag. It *can* happen with some designs. So you recock the PC and go on with life.

Lets say it was overlooked by your packer. What else was overlooked? Is the slider still collapsed waiting to give you an opening so hard it literally breaks your neck or dislocates a shoulder AND blows up your canopy?

Is it really *that* hard to unpack your rig and repack it?

Did you know that the main has the same 120 pack cycle as your reserve? I know it hasn't been 120 days, but just some knowledge to stuff back there incase you need it.:)
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

On alot of PCs the color will not show in the window even if they are cocked. Usually the color is just below the window. This problem is pretty common but you need to find out if it is cocked. Take the PC out of pocket and hold it above your head and drop it. It will inflate if cocked. You can also look in the mesh part of the PC and there should be about 12" or so of line that comes out of the bridal and goes to the top of the PC. These are things you can check but you really should just ask an instructor or rigger to look before you jump it,it will just take them a second and they should happy to do it for you.

Take the PC out of pocket and hold it above your head and drop it. It will inflate if cocked.

if you do that, I suggest letting someone with more experience see it too.
not sure its a good idea to judge this alone at 43 jumps...

O
"Carpe diem, quam minimum credula postero."

More importantly, does my parachute require a repack, or is it possible to cock the PC without taking everything apart? The chute is a Sabre 190 with the original bridle/PC.

Possible: Yes
Reasonable Soultion: Just repack it, cause it has both been sitting and your unsure of the packjob. You probally need the practice anyways.
~D
Where troubles melt like lemon drops Away above the chimney tops That's where you'll find me.
Swooping is taking one last poke at the bear before escaping it's cave - davelepka

On a lot of PCs the color will not show in the window even if they are cocked. Usually the color is just below the window. This problem is pretty common but you need to find out if it is cocked. Take the PC out of pocket and hold it above your head and drop it. It will inflate if cocked. You can also look in the mesh part of the PC and there should be about 12" or so of line that comes out of the bridal and goes to the top of the PC. These are things you can check but you really should just ask an instructor or rigger to look before you jump it,it will just take them a second and they should happy to do it for you.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Another quick way of confirming that your pilotchute is cocked is to grab the bridle at the base of the pilotchute and let it hang. A quick shake should remove any wrinkles. Then confirm that the skirt hangs level with the apex (you know, the center where the handle is sewn on). If the skirt is level with the apex, then the pilotchute is in its highest-drag configuration.

I have seen/not seen so many faded marks on so many kill-lines that I just ignore anything in the window and revert to checking the apex/skirt relationship.

On a lot of PCs the color will not show in the window even if they are cocked. Usually the color is just below the window. This problem is pretty common but you need to find out if it is cocked. Take the PC out of pocket and hold it above your head and drop it. It will inflate if cocked. You can also look in the mesh part of the PC and there should be about 12" or so of line that comes out of the bridal and goes to the top of the PC. These are things you can check but you really should just ask an instructor or rigger to look before you jump it,it will just take them a second and they should happy to do it for you.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Another quick way of confirming that your pilotchute is cocked is to grab the bridle at the base of the pilotchute and let it hang. A quick shake should remove any wrinkles. Then confirm that the skirt hangs level with the apex (you know, the center where the handle is sewn on). If the skirt is level with the apex, then the pilotchute is in its highest-drag configuration.

I have seen/not seen so many faded marks on so many kill-lines that I just ignore anything in the window and revert to checking the apex/skirt relationship.

That will also show if the kill line has shrunk (as they are likely to do after a lot of use.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.