Octocopter - This guy will likely get killed

>The "octocopter" is not simply "strange and dangerous." It doesn't appear to
>adhere to even the most basic of aeronautical safety design principles.

Neither did jet engines, helicopters, vertical takeoff aircraft, spacecraft, ram-air parachutes, wingsuits etc etc. And indeed when the first helicopters flew people said similar derogatory things about them. In fact, if you look at pictures they look an awful lot like this guy's contraption - a center man-carrying basket with two or more rotors beside the pilot.

They were equally primitive and dangerous, and their record was far from good. But those experimental aircraft allowed Igor Sikorsky, decades later, to build the first commercially successful helicopters. And nowadays people claim that helicopters operate on "the most basic of aeronautical safety design principles."

I wouldn't call those early inventors idiots or fools, and I am glad no one mocked them until they changed their minds. We're all better off because they built their dangerous, unsafe contraptions.

Is this guy going to die? Maybe. Maybe he'll never figure it out. Maybe because of the publicity generated by this article someone will call him and say "you know, with a $200 controller and eight servos you could completely automate this thing. Got a few right here." And maybe once that happens a local bike frame builder will say "I could make that frame out of aluminum and carbon fiber for a few thousand bucks." And he'll fly. And that will inspire Moller to finally get the bugs out of his vehicle. And then someone else will build a lighter version for the military. And that would be pretty cool.

Okay, I'll say this, Bill. Sure, he can maybe get that bedframe-and-chainsaw contraption flying, and kudos for the great backyard engineering, but is it really an efficient machine that improves on what's been flown in the past? Or is it a sketchy, marginal machine? People have made many successful one man helicopters smaller than his contraption. They fly well. The inefficiency of 8 small rotors versus one or two large ones guarantees the performance/power ration will be poor.

Yes, we owe a huge debt to all the tireless inventors that have labored in the past. And there are many dead ends along the road to success.But if I were to tie a bunch of bed sheets together with twine and say "Look at my cool new square parachute", well, I would hope you'd discourage me from jumping it.

>but is it really an efficient machine that improves on what's been flown in the past?

Efficient? I'd think not! Indeed, with the size of those props it's probably hideously inefficient.

>But if I were to tie a bunch of bed sheets together with twine and say "Look at my
>cool new square parachute", well, I would hope you'd discourage me from jumping it.

Are you kidding? I'd tell you to go for it - but to jump it as a tersh. Either:

1) it will blow up and you'll provide a good show
2) it will actually work (unlikely)
3) it will partially work and you'll learn something.

pioneers, in every field, have always been misunderstood.. :)

So have the whackos.:P

Without Whackos the world would be so much the poorer in ALL aspects of life.

A week off the board and it's good to see the usually suspects are posting their usual COMPLETE CRAP, Articulating loads demonstrating little.:ph34r::ph34r:

Not one of you wankers know the background behind the whys and wherefores of these guys building the mix master, and so many of you are so so quick to condemn. You demonstrate the worst attributes of western arrogance.
Well done people.
You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

A week off the board and it's good to see the usually suspects are posting their usual COMPLETE CRAP, Articulating loads demonstrating little.:ph34r::ph34r:

Whoowee! What is that thing, 18, 19 hands? ;)
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

I can think of a lot of whackos the world could do without, but we'd end up in SC. ;):P

Glad we didn't disappoint you by maturing during your hiatus. :D

It wasn’t actually directed towards you Mr Mitchell,;):ph34r: I just hit reply on your post:)Hey do you get discountedc flights :$
You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

Nope, no discounts.[:/]

threaten to crash one of their planes unless they give you a discounted tkt from LA to seattle return ::)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

Nope, no discounts.[:/]

threaten to crash one of their planes unless they give you a discounted tkt from LA to seattle return ::)

You'll get a one-way ticket in a Black plane to a compound in Cuba:P .... oh and a nice Orange Jump suit

(.)Y(.)
Chivalry is not dead; it only sleeps for want of work to do. - Jerome K Jerome

>but is it really an efficient machine that improves on what's been flown in the past?

Efficient? I'd think not! Indeed, with the size of those props it's probably hideously inefficient.

>But if I were to tie a bunch of bed sheets together with twine and say "Look at my
>cool new square parachute", well, I would hope you'd discourage me from jumping it.

Are you kidding? I'd tell you to go for it - but to jump it as a tersh. Either:

1) it will blow up and you'll provide a good show
2) it will actually work (unlikely)
3) it will partially work and you'll learn something.

I have watched a friend jump a canopy that he designed and built and then jumped as a tersh. Pretty exciting to be around and witness. He ended up cutting it away and landing his normal main. It was oscillating too much to land. I don't know if he ever finished the design. But pretty cool to watch him test it.