BrianSGermain

Slider Locks "Slocks"

just to add....I have my own design, but basically the same thing. The trick is to pull the rear grommets all the way down, and then lock them in place with the front ones over the locks. That keeps the rear of the slider from occasionally creeping back up. They rock.
my pics & stuff!

what do you do when packing - I assume just leave them alone - like they are not there?

rm

Yup. They usually sit under the riser covers.

Hi Brian,

Is it a problem if they don't sit under the riser covers? Possible snag hazard? The dacron/slocks are pretty flexible so probably not, but I just want to make sure before I jump mine with them sticking out.

It looks like yours don't sit under the riser covers either, so it probably isn't an issue. I cropped your picture and added one of my own to reference what I'm talking about.

Thanks,
John

My Slocks don't sit under the riser covers, and it has never been a problem. I have added them to hundreds of risers with no complaints at all.
+
Instructional Videos:www.AdventureWisdom.com
Keynote Speaking:www.TranscendingFEAR.com
Canopies and Courses:www.BIGAIRSPORTZ.com

Brian, you helped me put these on my risers years ago fo rmy Velo 90 and I've never had a problem. They make collapsing and stowing the slider a clear and staged process. I feel they are a safety improvement because I never struggle with the slider once it is stowed. I see the mechanism (slock) to confirm the position of the slider.

Thanks, Bri!

-Chris G

Hm... looks great, but with my troubles visualizing things from diagrams, could please someone post a few pics of those "Slocks" (what a funny name ) actually installed on risers?

Thanks.

I just finished my slocks using Brian's design. I am attaching a couple of pictures but I am happy to say they sit nicely under the riser covers of my Voodoo. I can't wait to try them in the air.
"... this ain't a Nerf world."

In defence of simplicity:

Around my DZ the feeling is that one doesn't need a design with tabs sticking out far to both sides of the type 17 risers, or some fancy downwards facing hinged tab as has also been described.

Sometimes the ones sticking far out to the side are just too stiff, and a pain to get the slider back over, when trying to pack. (Brian G.'s might be flexible enough to avoid this. But they still aren't the prettiest, if that matters.)

Locally it seems sufficient to just wrap a piece of webbing around the riser!

Or, I think, even just sew a couple layers of webbing on the front of the riser. Just about anything catches the narrow stainless slider grommets. This is especially true when yanking the slider up or down, and the slider grommet is on an angle, rather than being perfectly centered and perpendicular to the risers. (Brass grommets, a bit wider internally, might need a bit wider slider lock).

I'm not advocating any particular design, but that's my amateur observation from building a few slider locks over the years.

Attached is a pic of one I made earlier with a simple wrap of a thick non-milspec webbing around the riser. I made it stick out a bit from the sides, but it caught the slider too well to be convenient when packing - so one side was hacked off with a hotknife. A newer one wouldn't be made to stick out any more than the thickness of the webbing.

(Brian G.'s might be flexible enough to avoid this. But they still aren't the prettiest, if that matters.)

I haven't jumped it yet but they seem to be plenty flexible. They seem to prefer to bend in the middle and the grommet will slip right over. I considered making it shorter but it actually isn't that much larger than the grommet so I used his spec.

I hadn't seen many different designs and Brian has been using his for a long time so I went with that. I'll keep my eyes open for a style I like better.

Anyone else have pictures of a design they like?
"... this ain't a Nerf world."