BrianSGermain

Slider Locks "Slocks"

There are a great many methods of holding your slider down, and only some of them are safe. The most important issue is whether or not you will be able to cut away safely once the slider is stowed.

The method that seems to have the least chance of hang up is the slider locking mechanism located on the risers themselves. This method does a great job of holding the slider down, and does not increase the number of attachment points between you and your main.

I have placed a diagram of the one that I have developed here:

http://www.bigairsportz.com/article.php

Just pan down to the bottom of the articles page.

It is easy to build, and lasts a very long time. It works best if you use a bar-tacker, but a zig zag will work if you crank the tension down.

Brian Germain
+

It is easy
Instructional Videos:www.AdventureWisdom.com
Keynote Speaking:www.TranscendingFEAR.com
Canopies and Courses:www.BIGAIRSPORTZ.com

According to the diagram it's 51 MM or 2 inches

I am a bit confused by the diagram. To me the red material on the right illustrates the actual piece to be sewn on the riser, and the red material on the riser itself shows its general positioning and stich pattern.

Brian, is the correct distance from the confluence wrap indeed 2 inches (51mm)?
Arrive Safely

John

According to the diagram it's 51 MM or 2 inches

I am a bit confused by the diagram. To me the red material on the right illustrates the actual piece to be sewn on the riser, and the red material on the riser itself shows its general positioning and stich pattern.

Brian, is the correct distance from the confluence wrap indeed 2 inches (51mm)?

I see what you mean. Yes, the slock is sewn about 2 inches up from the confluence wrap, although you may be able to get away with going a bit closer. The slock is sewn on the INSIDE of the front riser. I guess I forgot to mention that.
+

Hm... looks great, but with my troubles visualizing things from diagrams, could please someone post a few pics of those "Slocks" (what a funny name :D ) actually installed on risers?

Thanks.

Check out the site of the Fallen Angels FreeflY Organisation:
http://www.padliangeli.org

I agree that "slocks" should be sewn on 2 inches above the crotch of the risers.

Over the years I have built several different patterns of slider catchers.

Why does the name "slider catcher" conjure up images of small birds flitting around the DZ stealing sliders?

A decade ago, Sandy Reid asked me to sew slider catchers onto main risers. They were made of 1 inch wide, Type 3 tape wrapped around a plastic stiffener, sort of a tuck tab, faced downwards.
Last year Andreas suggested a vastly simpler slider catcher made of 1.5 inch Type 4 tape folded into a triangle.

I will cheerfully sew a variety of slider catchers onto risers, but refuse to sew anything onto reserve flaps.

There are a great many methods of holding your slider down, and only some of them are safe. The most important issue is whether or not you will be able to cut away safely once the slider is stowed.

I never stow my slider at all. Once it's collapsed and pushed down behind my head, it stays there.

Never had a reason to need to hold it down with anything.

Got 'em, love 'em! B|

what do you do when packing - I assume just leave them alone - like they are not there?

rm

Yup. They usually sit under the riser covers.

BG

I never stow my slider at all. Once it's collapsed and pushed down behind my head, it stays there.

The faster the descent rate of the parachute, the more the slider will want to climb back up. Your Stiletto 135 may not need slocks, while my Sensei 81 does.

If you are using your rear risers to plane out for landing, having your slider all the way down is absolutely essential. If it gets in your way when you go for the rears, you may be in trouble.

BG

The faster the descent rate of the parachute, the more the slider will want to climb back up. Your Stiletto 135 may not need slocks, while my Sensei 81 does.

If you are using your rear risers to plane out for landing, having your slider all the way down is absolutely essential. If it gets in your way when you go for the rears, you may be in trouble.

BG

This is true. I also think that the use of a full face helmet helps, as the slider tucks up into the back of it very nicely. I don't need to use rear risers to plane out because I'm perfectly weighted on the 135. It self recovers with litte or no input from me.

If I go down into the double digits, which I do on occaision, I'll use the rear risers.

Nice, do you put this on just one side or both?

P.S. My triathlon 190 needs this, dunno why a canopy wouldn't but I can get the slider lifting in a dive easily (and it's stowable + a twist or two). Haven't bothered with it before I only started pulling it down after the recent incident in Texas since I don't have bumpers/stops.

what do you do when packing - I assume just leave them alone - like they are not there?

rm

Yup. They usually sit under the riser covers.

Hi Brian,

Is it a problem if they don't sit under the riser covers? Possible snag hazard? The dacron/slocks are pretty flexible so probably not, but I just want to make sure before I jump mine with them sticking out.

It looks like yours don't sit under the riser covers either, so it probably isn't an issue. I cropped your picture and added one of my own to reference what I'm talking about.

Thanks,
John

I've had Slocks on my rig since Brian posted the instructions for them and think they work great! Mine stick out slightly as well but I haven't had any problems with them.

It seems extremely unlikely that anything could snag on them. Any significant pressure appied to the Slock and they just bend out of the way.

Edited by slotperfect to remove the ad reference. No ads in the forums please.
NSCR-2376, SCR-15080