normiss

Growlers???

There are five breweries within say two miles of me. All of them sell the 1 gallon (128 ounce) growlers. I've never seen one outside of a brewery though. We're also allowed to take opened bottles of wine home in the car from restaurants. I always thought the one gallon size is what made it a growler? Like a handle and a fifth. I thought it was a measurement?

I think it has become less a measurement than a type of container to transport beer home. :)
According to wiki

"The term likely dates back to the late 19th century when fresh beer was carried from the local pub to one's home by means of a small galvanized pail. Often the inside of the pail would be coated with lard to decrease foam and allow for slightly more beer to be in the pail. It is claimed the sound that the CO2 made when it escaped from the lid as the beer sloshed around sounded like a growl."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beer_bottle#Growler

lisa
WSCR 594
FB 1023
CBDB 9

We have a place called The Beer Growler here (one in Athens and one in Avondale) that sells growlers.
Now the best adult beverage store in the city is selling growler bottles for $4.99 and you can keep bringing them back to be filled for only the cost of the beer.

The only problem I have is that you have to plan. You can't stock up. Once in the growler the beer goes flat in 5 or 6 days.
Be patient with the faults of others; they have to be patient with yours.