Glitch

14yr old daughter to Paris/London w/friends family???

Ok... here's one I never thought I'd have to think on... My wife and I have been asked if our friends can take our 14 yr old daughter to Europe for a week over New Years.... all expenses paid to Paris and London. They're going, and the grand father apparently doesn't want to go, so my daughters friends G'ma (who is footing the bill) suggested my daughter to fill in the slot.

Aside from the fact that my daughters first exposure to a different culture would be the French, I'm not really opposed to it. The couple going are professionals, down to earth, and a bit more conservative than my wife and I. We trust them completely (obviously) or we wouldn't even entertain the idea. ...and this is something that, quite frankly, my wife and I simply can't give her.

So what say you folks.... what's your opinion? Would you let her? What's your thoughts on it? objections? pearls of wisdom? Thingies to consider?
Randomly f'n thingies up since before I was born...

would be the French

So there's nothing but upsides to the whole thing? :P

We don't have kids, but if we did (AHHHHHHH!!!!!!!) we'd gladly send the minions of the devil for a few days away to have some peace and quiet.... ;)

Seriously, if you know the chaperons very well, it's a no brainer IMO.
Remster

Make sure I'm clear on this.

It's the entire family going. G'ma, parents and their kids.
Your daughter is good friends with one of the kids (girl, right?).

As long as your daughter (and her friend) are reasonably responsible, intelligent and mature (kind of oxymoronic for 14YOs, but you know what I mean) then go for it.
"There are NO situations which do not call for a French Maid outfit." Lucky McSwervy

"~ya don't GET old by being weak & stupid!" - Airtwardo

Hell yes!

I was very fortunate enough to travel abroad while growing up, flying alone as a child etc. They were great times, and I was EIGHT when I first went to Europe alone.

She's 14, she'll be fine.
The feather butts bounce off ya like raindrops hitting a battle-star when they come in too fast...kinda funny to watch. - airtwardo

It's the entire family going. G'ma, parents and their kids. Your daughter is good friends with one of the kids (girl, right?).

Correct on all counts...

As long as your daughter (and her friend) are reasonably responsible, intelligent and mature (kind of oxymoronic for 14YOs, but you know what I mean)...

Actually, both girls are pretty level headed and mature when they want to be.... for 14 yr olds...

hehe, you have to let her go, otherwise she will turn out like you and fear every step she will take...

k i can understand the protective parent part. but you have to let her make her own experiences away from the family.

she has the chance to make these experiences without here own parents and still be in a family environment to protect her.

and if you had a child from an other family with you on a trip, wouldn't you double the attention?

no I don't know you.

But I know the French people, (I talk to French people on a daily basis...) and I travelled a bit in this world and from what I can say, it really doesn't matter where you are the crazy and bad and mad and good and nice people are everywhere you go..

I really don't understand why the French should be worse for example than the English. last I watched the news they took down London not Paris in riots... just as an example..

bad things can happen anywhere in the world. and less terrorist activity in France then in the US :p

Oh hell yes! I was fortunate enough to live in Greece from age 5 to age 8 (1st through third grade) and it was one of the true formative experience of my life.

I went back to Europe again at age 16 with a school trip to Italy, and again the following year to the UK. I have amazing memories of those trips - travel at that age is phenomenal. It sounds like you have a great, trusted set of chaperones for your daughter, she'll be traveling with a good friend, and there doesn't seem to be a huge amount to worry about.

I did this "independent" travel back in the days before email, back when the internet was something that guys in government and academic labs used. I didn't call my parents at all on the trip; they trusted that I (or my chaperones) would call if there were an emergency, and that otherwise I'd be fine (and I was).

Today, of course, you could "check in" regularly via email to make sure everything's going okay - it might make both of you feel more comfortable. It sounds like a phenomenal experience that will not only open her horizons (even if it is to the French ;)), and will give her a taste of independence (while still being safely managed by adults).

"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke

Interesting that there are three "hell no" votes but nobody posted as to why...

Go for it. Or rather, let her go for it. Sounds like she'll be in good hands while she's gone, it's only a week, and anything we 'mericans can do to get our kids a little culture is definitely the way to go.

Elvisio "ask them if they want to buy me a vacation" Rodriguez

no I don't know you.

But I know the French people, (I talk to French people on a daily basis...) and I travelled a bit in this world and from what I can say, it really doesn't matter where you are the crazy and bad and mad and good and nice people are everywhere you go..

I really don't understand why the French should be worse for example than the English. last I watched the news they took down London not Paris in riots... just as an example..

bad things can happen anywhere in the world. and less terrorist activity in France then in the US :p

But....they're....French

So, what are your reservations about it that made you ask the question? I think it's wonderful. If she can't go, I'll go with them! :ph34r:

She is Da Man, and you better not mess with Da Man,
because she will lay some keepdown on you faster than, well, really fast. ~Billvon

Interesting that there are three "hell no" votes but nobody posted as to why......

I voted "no" ...because she's 14 and I'm an asshole. I have a 14 year old son and I wouldn't let him go either. Also, I would be pissed if the parents mentioned inviting my daughter to either her or her friend before consulting me.

F*ck you all.

I hope she starts smoking Camel's with no filters, and drink espresso coffee non stop.

:P

French espresso[:/] that's like American ristretto or Swiss "regular" coffee. Let her go with Ricard or at least Picon
scissors beat paper, paper beat rock, rock beat wingsuit - KarlM

So, what are your reservations about it that made you ask the question?

Actually, neither my wife nor I have any real reservations to her going, other than it's not us taking her and she'll be on foreign soil. I'm excited for her :)
It doesn't hurt, every now and then, to get an outside perspecitve on things as a generalized benchmark of just how 'outside the norm' my reasoning is.... which I guess doesn't say much considering the pool of folks that I'm polling. :D

When I was 15 I spent a year in Sweden as an exchange student. It was a great experience. 1 week in Paris seems perfectly fine to me, assuming you and your friends share similar views on looking after a teenager...

ETA: The world is getting smaller... 1 week in Paris seems unlikely to be a "once in a lifetime opportunity"!! :P

"There is no problem so bad you can't make it worse."
- Chris Hadfield
« Sors le martinet et flagelle toi indigne contrôleuse de gestion. »
- my boss

Excellent opportunity B| - can't imagine that it will be anything else but fun and educational..

14's a great age to start travelling. It'll open her eyes the endless possibilities out there - but safe and structured way - not too foreign and culturally very rich.

(.)Y(.)
Chivalry is not dead; it only sleeps for want of work to do. - Jerome K Jerome

..... I think it's wonderful. If she can't go, I'll go with them! :ph34r:

Excellent reply!!!;)B|

Honest to God... i am sitting in the "business centre" computer room of the Saint James Crowne Plaza Hotel,, IN London!!!:o:DB| as i write this....

never would have figured that i would be HERE!!! but i am So Glad and grateful that i AM..... :)
.. first time overseas,, but likely not the LAST.. there is much to see and all sorts of history, architecture, culture , not to mention the diversity of PEOPLE...
So i would say Yes.... as long as a friend of her own age will be part of the group AND you know and trust the parents... it would be OK to take advantage of the generous offer.... A trip like that will take a bit of planning so try to be helpful and appreciative of that. Dragging extra luggage around with one,,,, is no fun,, so encourage her to pack sensibly and try to get by with One SMALL bag for checked bags and one small carry-on... better get going on getting her a passport and check with your bank, to see if they can provide you with Euros..so t hat your child can have some $$$ for souvenirs , taxis, shopping and to tip her room service/chambermaid people, should she and the friend have their own room.... (Also ecourage your daughter to find some way to show her gratitude to the Grandmother,,& Parents, in some token way,,, even if it's just ordering some flowers for the Older womens' room, or some candy etc etc)... it would be a pleasant surprise for your hosts. This way your daughter will feel that SHE can make some purchases on her own, FOR her hosts...as well as for herself...
ALAS,,, my time here ends tomorrow:( but the memories will linger for years and years..B|:)
you WILL miss her... so encourage her to send out a post card every couple of days to keep you all in her mind...

she will return to you safe and sound and i bet,,, seeming sooo much more grown up...

oh yes... have her pack good comfortable walking shoes,, and ( as was suggested to me by a good friend,,,,;).. )provide her with a small notebook and pen, that she can use to write down allll her experiences and thoughts, while on the trip.
good luck to all..
jimmy
p.s. when acquiring Euros.... it might be best to get 50 % More than you planned,,, they seem to have a way of "being spent"..:o:S;)

Sounds like a safe way for her to expand her horizons and broaden her experience of the world. have a great time hope its not raining when she gets over to blighty!

Dont watch taken beforehand.

That was gonna be my response but i decided against it lol :P:D
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, all used up, and loudly proclaiming: Wow, what a ride!