shah269

Working from home....thoughts?

How many of you work from home and how do you like or dislike it?
Life through good thoughts, good words, and good deeds is necessary to ensure happiness and to keep chaos at bay.

The only thing that falls from the sky is birdshit and fools!

I do.

Love it (so does my Dog!!) .. but I do work MORE hours than I would at an office... BUT I get proper coffee.

No downside for me - cuz (like you) I'm an antisocial git:P

(.)Y(.)
Chivalry is not dead; it only sleeps for want of work to do. - Jerome K Jerome

How many of you work from home and how do you like or dislike it?

I do for about 9 months out of the year or so...I absolutely love it, but you gotta be a bit more disciplined IMO. An hour here and an hour there of messin' around can really bite you in the arse.
Your secrets are the true reflection of who you really are...

I do. Been doing it for over 5 years. It is starting to get old. All in all, it's good.

The socializing around the water fountain is kinda lame, isn't it?
"For you see, an airplane is an airplane. A landing area is a landing area. But a dropzone... a dropzone is the people."

Been self employed since the mid 1980's. Some years are better than others.
It definitely takes more discipline than the average job, and that was easier when I was younger, and we were hungrier.
For a few years at the beginning, I had to remind family members that I was WORKING at home. I had sisters and friends who thought since I was at home, they could drop by for coffee or drop off sick kids who weren't in school, or ask me to run to pick up sick kids. It was hard to say no, but after I did it for a while, they started to respect my space.
skydiveTaylorville.org
[email protected]

i been working remotely for a UK company for a few years now and totally dig it. have a couple teleconferences each week but other than that i set my own schedule. play with my kid, wrench on the bike, ride the bike, take a few days off, whateva.

life is good.
namaste, motherfucker.

i been working remotely for a UK company

life is good.

I'm in the U.K working for a US company - strange how things work out :-)..
What's really good about that it I get ZERO interruptions (from the Client) in the mornings - so I get loads of work done before they've even had breakfast... I strongly discourage calls in MY evening - by letting them know that I'll call them at home first thing in MY morning if they start that >:(

(.)Y(.)

I work from home occasionally. I could do it much more often if I wanted to.

As everyone else said there are less distractions from your workmates, but it also take more discipline to put in a full days work without interruptions.

Having a dedicated office space really helps. That has been the main reason I haven't been working from home more often.

But now we are moving bedrooms and moving one of my girlfriend's daughters into the finished basement, so I get my office space.

I have really been lacking a nice big desk to get stuff done!
"The restraining order says you're only allowed to touch me in freefall"
=P

Do you guys find it that you are alienated from the corporate culture and or that your supervisors have a hard time evaluating your work?
Life through good thoughts, good words, and good deeds is necessary to ensure happiness and to keep chaos at bay.

And you haven't truly experienced the freedom of working from home until you've jumped on a conference call buck ass naked.

+1.

Muting and confirming the phone is on mute and yelling "Bullshit" or if they are particularly heinous putting your balls on the phone and make them talk through them are nice touches too. :)
Stupidity if left untreated is self-correcting
If ya can't be good, look good, if that fails, make 'em laugh.

Do you guys find it that you are alienated from the corporate culture

Like THAT would ever be a down side.

and or that your supervisors have a hard time evaluating your work?

Nope not a problem ... my code either works or it doesn't and I have to make it...... If I ever get a decent spec' it would be the first time (but that was always the case in an office too) - doesn't matter where you work the goal posts ALWAYS move.

(.)Y(.)

Today is Sunday. I find it frustrating because I have LOTS of house projects to work on, and I have TONS of client stuff to do. So even if I finish one thing, I still have so much to do that my type A personality doesn't let me sit still for very long. To really rest, or to take a day completely 'off' I have to go somewhere else. Oh darn. DZ anyone?
skydiveTaylorville.org
[email protected]

This should be the wave of the future. People whose jobs involve sitting in front of a computer screen and talking on a telephone without much face to face customer or co-worker contact could cut down their carbon footprint much more than if they drove an electric car to work.
However.....lots of bosses are unable to evaluate employees unless they see them sitting at their desks, so wave bye-bye to the future.
You don't have to outrun the bear.

This should be the wave of the future. People whose jobs involve sitting in front of a computer screen and talking on a telephone without much face to face customer or co-worker contact could cut down their carbon footprint much more than if they drove an electric car to work.
However.....lots of bosses are unable to evaluate employees unless they see them sitting at their desks, so wave bye-bye to the future.

It's more than that.. trust issues.. and many managers inability to progress beyond their inner control freak.
PLUS.
Many of middle management become redundant and completly unneeded so they fight it tooth and nail.

I work from home and I love it! But in my case it is mostly my rigging business and used skydiving gear sales. When I am not working at home I am working at the drop zone.

I have a nice set up so I can pack reserves, do sewing and repairs. My downstairs man cave is perfect for sport rigs but I can do tandems upstairs when needed. (it has a longer hallway) I have my computers and printers available to print shipping labels, etc.

Very good gig if you can get it.
Onward and Upward!

I have worked from home as a software developer on more than one occasion and there are pros as well as cons to working from home.

Pros:

- As a developer I may not always be 100% productive when the traditional business world tells me I should be productive. If I can do some of my best work at 7 pm, or 11 pm, or 2 am, why should I be forced to work at 9 am. The bottom line is that I have work to do and it should not matter when I do it, just as long as I do it. So on the pro side, working from home allows me to be the most flexible to work when I am the most productive.

- Working from home allows me to take breaks during the day and do things like quick household chores or my favorite a five minute power snooze in the middle of the afternoon and I never need to explain myself to my boss just as long as I get the work done at some point in the day.

- Working from home means I can save time and money not having to commute to and from the office which becomes an even bigger benefit when I do not have to commute during the middle of a winter blizzard.

Cons:

- Sometimes I do need to collaborate with my peers for myself to properly do my job and it is so much easier to do this when we are all in the same space. Sure I can message someone when I am home, or call them on the phone. But it is easier and more efficient when I can do this in person.

- It is easier to slack off at home and you really need to be disciplined with your work ethic.

Try not to worry about the things you have no control over

On a conventionl coorperate gig I would feel funky. But I think that may just be me.
My fellow classmates were split. A few actually worked from home and didn't have a desk and others had the option to work from home.
The ones that did indicated that over time that their social and interpersonal skills had degraded and were unsure if it was a positive part of their career or not since they were significantly out of the loop as to what was going on with the companies they worked for.

I could never do it.

micduran
How do your evaluations work out?
I'm sure if you are writing code it's a simple it worked or it didn't.
How about if you are more of a "soft" field?
And how do you deal with the social isolation?

I may be different, but at the moment I'm in a very small office of only 10 folks and I'm kind of going through the...where is everyone....panic attack. Then again I am a social person.

I tried it but it was too hard to see the airplanes from my back deck. :P

Oh please!
Just install a widow's walk on top of the roof!
:)Now only can you work from home but also work on your tan!