wayneflorida

Man ditches plane into ocean off coast of Hawaii after running out of gas

Im no pilot or aviation expert but the article said the plane had a max of 1900 or so miles and that Hilo was 2300 miles away. last i checked 2300 was more than 1900.:P:S

It was set up for "ferry". Extended range tanks were installed. The range listed in the article was for normal range.

Something happened and it easily could have been a venting issue, or a leak of unknown origin, etc, etc, etc...

Most people jump to conclusions, especially the media.

Yeah. A Cessna 310R maxes out, I believe, at about 200 gallons with wing tanks and auxiliary tanks installed. Going from Monterey to Hilo – I think it probably was the shortest route he could have gone. Imagine what just a slight difference in the wind would do for that. Hit an extra 3 knots of headwind over ten hours and you’ve had a really bad day. He was a mere 13 miles short.

I read a report that he spent the last hour on the deck – I assume it was where the best tailwinds were but I’m really interested in the facts of the investigation. The weather, fuel planning. Did he calculate enough for 30 minutes reserve or did he get a waiver for it? I don’t know but I’m really interested to find out.

My wife is hotter than your wife.