npgraphicdesign

Good starter bike

Hands down best easy to ride cheap but good city bike is the SV650. You don't have to keep the RPMs up to ride it but they redline at 11000 RPMs so you can still rap them out if you want to.

I put a bunch of miles on one and to this day, regret selling it. It's great in town, it's excellent in twisty roads. If you drop it at a stop light or doing something dumb while performing a U-Turn, who cares. Pick it up.

It's very easy to work on and should you choose to, you can update the suspension and take it to the track, it's a fairly simple and inexpensive conversion. Actually you can just take it to the track if you put decent tires on it.

If it's a starter bike for you, Take a riding class, get used to riding it. Everyone gets cocky at first so do your best not too. Then, get some decent tires and take a beginner track school. I took a 2 day novice track school and quite honestly, it saved my life. You will learn what the bike is capable of. It's capable of doing MUCH more than you are but having the back ground of correctly taking corners will save you one day.

Also, practice slow speed maneuvers. Watch some cop riding contest videos. If they can do that on a 900 pound bike, you can do it on an SV.

They haven't really changed since 2003. The models with Fairings on the side are kinda silly. Just get a Standard SV650 and put an aftermarket front fairing on it. Put frame sliders on it and call it good. I had an SV650S so it was less comfortable but already had a good front fairing. I would still suggest the standard.

Good luck.
My grammar sometimes resembles that of magnetic refrigerator poetry... Ghetto

They haven't really changed since 2003. The models with Fairings on the side are kinda silly. Just get a Standard SV650 and put an aftermarket front fairing on it. Put frame sliders on it and call it good. I had an SV650S so it was less comfortable but already had a good front fairing. I would still suggest the standard.

Good luck.

but do bear in mind that the SV650 has different ergonomics and gear ratios to the std. SV650 (at least here in OZ)
You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

A good friend of mine and fellow jumper owns two vintage commando's unaltered and in near mint condition.

Now that he is getting better, he just might restore them to running condition.

Not running IS the Original condition:P

(.)Y(.)
Chivalry is not dead; it only sleeps for want of work to do. - Jerome K Jerome

A good friend of mine and fellow jumper owns two vintage commando's unaltered and in near mint condition.

Now that he is getting better, he just might restore them to running condition.

Not running IS the Original condition:P

:D:D:D:D:D:D
"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

but do bear in mind that the SV650 has different ergonomics and gear ratios to the std. SV650 (at least here in OZ)

They do here also. I don't know about the gear ratio but the ergonomics are different. The biggest difference is the handle bars versus clip ons. I understand the rear sets are slightly lower too. I suggest the standard due to comfort and ease of maneuvering.
My grammar sometimes resembles that of magnetic refrigerator poetry... Ghetto

but do bear in mind that the SV650s has different ergonomics and gear ratios to the std. SV650 (at least here in OZ)

They do here also. I don't know about the gear ratio but the ergonomics are different. The biggest difference is the handle bars versus clip ons. I understand the rear sets are slightly lower too. I suggest the standard due to comfort and ease of maneuvering.

FIFY
Remster

WOW! 3500 miles apart at the very least somebody else calls it combat riding as well!

But an SV? C'mon what you want is something IL4 at the very least! A uber down geared CBR600F4I is an ideal tool. It can get to suicidal speeds, is fairly cheap on the insurance and its better on gas than the SV650 if ridden conservatively.

I go to dropzones on me CBR600F4 (with two rigs) I've travelled round the world many times on it through horrible muddy tracks like Sjaak Lucassen (though did not take it into swampy bits). It took it in its stride!

nah what you want to do is ride at about 75mph, the relative wind lifts you off your wrists and off the seat very slightly taking pressure off your hips and your shoulders.

I've done some mad rushes on the cber. Went to the tip of Italy and back in 2 days to deliver a parcel once.

For city riding?
REALLY! NYC! You do know it gets cold here right!
OK I may have to hand in my man card for this but....
here are two bikes I would own if i live in NYC.
1) http://www.photosot.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/06/09_Can-Am_Spyder_SE5_front.jpg
Hate to say it but after i rode it I was impressed! MY GOD! What a fun ride!

2) http://uncrate.com/p/2009/01/vespa-gts-300.jpg
Almost bought one for the X so that I could ride it!
NO JOKE it's a great ride! And the attention this thing get's is a freaking blast! And the people who ride them are all up tight little hipsters that you can always grab by the ankles and swing over your head as if they were some sort of skinny, skinny jeans wearing, scarf wearing battle axe.

But all things considered, please put aside cash for proper gloves, jackets and do not forget the boots!
Life through good thoughts, good words, and good deeds is necessary to ensure happiness and to keep chaos at bay.

The only thing that falls from the sky is birdshit and fools!

nah what you want to do is ride at about 75mph, the relative wind lifts you off your wrists and off the seat very slightly taking pressure off your hips and your shoulders.

I've done some mad rushes on the cber. Went to the tip of Italy and back in 2 days to deliver a parcel once.

See the difference is, when I go on an 8 hour+ long ride, the entire trip is in the mountains on curvey roads. The speed is not the issue, 75MPH is a good starting point (hehehe), it is the constant turning that causes soreness. (hehehe)

Now, I did do the 405 from San Diego to LA on a saturday night once at 100MPH (following the speed of traffic for the most part), and when you get to a long straight away at those speeds in bumper to bumper traffic, you forget about your butt hurting...

For city riding?
1) http://www.photosot.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/06/09_Can-Am_Spyder_SE5_front.jpg

NO JOKE it's a great ride! And the attention this thing get's is a freaking blast! And the people who ride them are all up tight little hipsters that you can always grab by the ankles and swing over your head as if they were some sort of skinny, skinny jeans wearing, scarf wearing battle axe.

But all things considered, please put aside cash for proper gloves, jackets and do not forget the boots!

Shah are you sure you like girls? See Shrop and my posts up thread about this type of transport:D:)
Experienced jumper - someone who has made mistakes more often than I have and lived.

For city riding?

Shah are you sure you like girls? See Shrop and my posts up thread about this type of transport:D:)

I do like the Petshop boys, I like dance music, I do dress well and smell well and practice yoga....I am shallow as all fuck.....

I'll be signing up for the Rainbow Boogie next year ;-)

I know I know...but look if you are living in NYC. You don't need to do a million miles an hour! I mean sure we can say get a Busa or a nice ZX-14 or hell even a nice 500CC Ninja. Two of the three will kill you fast!

But for NYC, the Spider not only has heated seats and grips, but also has a trunk and plenty of room for that size 6 girl you will have sitting on the back! And since you can't lain split here in NYC it’s a non issue!

The Vespa, look that little thing moves! 0-40 is quick on that little Italian toaster! The thing is a blast to drive and easy as hell to park. There are lots of aftermarket parts and support for it and let's not kid ourselves Vespas have been known to cause women's panties to spontaneously explode! I have no idea? But as a very well informed female friend of mine put it, "It's like a sexy designer pair or pumps, but unlike sexy designer shoes, it doesn't hurt your feet and you get to wrap your arms around your man when you are on it."

ps
I
Life through good thoughts, good words, and good deeds is necessary to ensure happiness and to keep chaos at bay.

Heh, the UK is too small for an 8 hour ride. Though getting from here to Langar (a big DZ) requires a ride through this road here

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?q=snake+road&hl=en&sll=53.800651,-4.064941&sspn=12.687488,28.256836&vpsrc=0&hnear=Snake+Rd,+Derbyshire+S33+0,+United+Kingdom&t=m&z=12

Snake pass.

Twelve years ago when I started riding, this road was NSLm (national speed limit) which meant 60. But because there were no cameras or cops we'd play on it at about 90mph. We also have this quite near to us

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stelvio_Pass (its quite a tiring road to ride tbh as its hairpin hairpin hairpin). Not so much my butt hutting more my hip and my knees these days.... I did something really stupid about 9 years ago. I put my knee down. Nothing out of the ordinary except I wasn't wearing sliders just a thin pair of jeans :$

WOW! 3500 miles apart at the very least somebody else calls it combat riding as well!

But an SV? C'mon what you want is something IL4 at the very least! A uber down geared CBR600F4I is an ideal tool. It can get to suicidal speeds, is fairly cheap on the insurance and its better on gas than the SV650 if ridden conservatively.

I go to dropzones on me CBR600F4 (with two rigs) I've travelled round the world many times on it through horrible muddy tracks like Sjaak Lucassen (though did not take it into swampy bits). It took it in its stride!

The point isn't stupid speed, it is having a bike that is easy to flick around and will be able to ride and absorb horrid road conditions. Also a bike that won't break too much when you drop it and is easy to pick up.

I have spent countless times picking up a 900lbs 1150RT and a ST1300 in advanced technical riding courses, it isn't too hard to do, but it is easier to pick up something like a SV.
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

OMFG, Shah... I'm going to forget that I saw this, & we can just move on. What ever happened to Don't Ask_Don't Tell?

But all things considered, please put aside cash for proper gloves, jackets and do not forget the matching pink pumps!!

There, FIFY, Nancy...

You just described the CBR600F4I then, it is so popular that parts are easy to come by.

The SV is 190kilos wet
The CBR600F4I is 187kilos wet.

IIRC the SV is vulnerable to water meaning you need a fender extender else the front cylinder head gets engulfed in water. Though granted it is somewhat narrower than the CBR.

When I switched from my NT650 (a V2 like the SV) to my CBR the CBR felt really really fat it still does sometimes and I can filter (lane split) faster on the NT650 than I can on the CBR600.

OMFG, Shah... I'm going to forget that I saw this, & we can just move on. What ever happened to Don't Ask_Don't Tell?

But all things considered, please put aside cash for proper gloves, jackets and do not forget the matching pink pumps!!

There, FIFY, Nancy...

He wants to ride in NYC, why would you need a 600CC bike in NYC?

If I lived in NYC.....god I wished I lived in NYC....and worked there I would rock the Jet Black Vespa no problem!

They are comfortable, stable, hold their value and the well educated world traveler long legged flat bellied, perky boobied hotties dig the Vespa! And it is frugal with respect to gas consumption.

The Spider works in cities for well...you can buy it in a slush o matic and it has reverse gear doesn't take much parking and you just sit on it. It also has a pretty smart computer with traction control as well as stability control. Add to it that it's very stable on uneven roads, NYC roads are shit, and it would work....but parking it is a bitch.

OR you can buy a very nice second hand 250 to start or if you are on the heavier side a 500. But please make sure you spend money on good gear to keep you safe.

Keep in mind that it gets cold enough to snow where you're at, so you need to keep that in mind. Might want a crappy $500 car or something for when safety is compromised by weather.

It all depends on how much you want to spend, what you're looking for in style, quality, etc. You can get a custom built for a lot cheaper than buying used if you use stuff off e-bay and shop smart, but if you're just looking for something off the street, it goes back to what are you looking for... Rice Rocket, Cruiser, etc. Narrow down what you're lookin' for, see what suits your tastes, needs, etc.

You won't be able to carry much on anything that doesn't have bags and a sissy bar on it, so that limits grocery shopping.

If you don't have a way to do your own maintenance, you'll need to think about where to get it done, how to get around when it's getting done, and how to get to/from w/out the bike.

Do you plan on just short trips around town or are you planning on long hauls as well?

I've put at least 16,000 miles on my bike since the 4th of July and been as far west as Oklahoma, south as florida, north as Pennsylvania, and east as the Atlantic in those few months. The ability to carry gear is important. Friday before last I was in Florida in 90 degree weather. The next day I was in Maryland in 50 degree weather, so you need to be able to adjust with the weather.

Comfort is a big deal for long trips. I've made long hauls on kidney beaters before, but when I got to my destination, all I wanted to do was take it easy and sleep it off for a day. Crotch rockets are not comfortable for long trips either. A good seat and a comfortable riding position are important.

Things will be getting cold soon up there in NYC. You may want to look into heated suits and handlegrips. They'll help a lot when it starts gettin' really cold.

I could yack all day about this stuff, but I don't have a beer or a cigarette in my hand.
Some people refrain from beating a dead horse. Personally, I find a myriad of entertainment value when beating it until it becomes a horse-smoothie.

There, FIFY, Nancy...

He wants to ride in NYC, why would you need a 600CC bike in NYC?

If I lived in NYC.....god I wished I lived in NYC....and worked there I would rock the Jet Black Vespa no problem!

They are comfortable, stable, hold their value and the well educated world traveler long legged flat bellied, perky boobied hotties dig the Vespa! And it is frugal with respect to gas consumption.

The Spider works in cities for well...you can buy it in a slush o matic and it has reverse gear doesn't take much parking and you just sit on it. It also has a pretty smart computer with traction control as well as stability control. Add to it that it's very stable on uneven roads, NYC roads are shit, and it would work....but parking it is a bitch.

OR you can buy a very nice second hand 250 to start or if you are on the heavier side a 500. But please make sure you spend money on good gear to keep you safe.

Shah while I was kidding about it being gay. You are right that the smaller bikes/scooters are more practical in the city.
Experienced jumper - someone who has made mistakes more often than I have and lived.

You need road presence. Smaller machines tend to be invisible though and victim to SMIDSY. In the UK angering guys in cars I've also been chased at high speed. It was scary with a 130mph 650cc NT. On a Honda Joker it it terrifying.

Also small bikes are a mega target for theft.

Anything with 2 wheels is invisible to cars, so that's kinda irrelevant.

Who's cherios did you piss in to get chased at 130 MPH?

I thought you folks across the pond used the metric system...
Some people refrain from beating a dead horse. Personally, I find a myriad of entertainment value when beating it until it becomes a horse-smoothie.