npgraphicdesign

Good starter bike

Sports bikes in a city are a pain in the neck, and back and wrists and arse and...

I disagree.

Sport bikes suck for 4+ hour rides for those reasons, but short hops around the city are fun on a sport bike. If you are the first bike at a stop light you get to hop to the next redlight with a bit of speed and fun. And city driving makes it hard to get 75MPH over the limit tickets you can get on the open highways. ;-)

I had a CBR600F4 as my first bike. I think any of the 600 sport bikes are good choices for a first bike if someone has discipline with their wrist. Now I have an R1.

I'm a Harley Enthusiast & a Sportster 883 was my 1st, 15 years ago !

It's excellent for in city riding, though she's not a people pleaser with straight pipes :D

I find some slight issues with a Sportster:

a bit too light for highway riding on windier days, tends to idle high ( regardless of idle adjustment) on hotter days & a little harder to negotiate sharp curves/ turns & storage incapability.

So within the 1st year of riding, a Springer Softtail was my next.

I'm 5'3", 128# & have no problem handling it, as it has excellent center of gravity, rideability & comfort !

A low rider is also a good "city' bike.

Not all HD riders ride in black leather at all times, though in cooler weather & open road rides, that is my preferred attire !

Before Skydiving, it was my major mode of transportation, even rode to school & to work in my Nursing scrubs.

You can't beat the cost of gas, convenience, stress reducer & parking ! ;)
It is still my preference for transportation, just no time nor feasilbility with gear :(

Whatever you get...Shiny Side up & Keep it on 2 & of course BlueSkies, always B|

I'm a Harley Enthusiast & a Sportster 883 was my 1st, 15 years ago !

It's excellent for in city riding, though she's not a people pleaser with straight pipes :D

I find some slight issues with a Sportster:

a bit too light for highway riding on windier days, tends to idle high ( regardless of idle adjustment) on hotter days & a little harder to negotiate sharp curves/ turns & storage incapability.

So within the 1st year of riding, a Springer Softtail was my next.

I'm 5'3", 128# & have no problem handling it, as it has excellent center of gravity, rideability & comfort !

A low rider is also a good "city' bike.

Not all HD riders ride in black leather at all times, though in cooler weather & open road rides, that is my preferred attire !

Before Skydiving, it was my major mode of transportation, even rode to school & to work in my Nursing scrubs.

You can't beat the cost of gas, convenience, stress reducer & parking ! ;)
It is still my preference for transportation, just no time nor feasilbility with gear :(

Whatever you get...Shiny Side up & Keep it on 2 & of course BlueSkies, always B|

Thanks luv. Those are some beautiful bikes..and a beautiful lady too. ;)B|

I've been drooling over these two bikes. Both are on the opposite ends of the spectrum, but damn it, I'd love to have both in a garage some day.

http://www.tabperformance.com/catalog/BlackSlashCut1.jpg
http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_5_ewoocjMX0/TQ9E1nTGxDI/AAAAAAAABhE/eFPV5uRE7ZY/s1600/0807_13_z%2525252B2009_ducati_monster_696%2525252Bwhite_side_view.jpg

That Harely is just sex on wheels. :D:o

I've been drooling over these two bikes. Both are on the opposite ends of the spectrum, but damn it, I'd love to have both in a garage some day.

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_5_ewoocjMX0/TQ9E1nTGxDI/AAAAAAAABhE/eFPV5uRE7ZY/s1600/0807_13_z%2525252B2009_ducati_monster_696%2525252Bwhite_side_view.jpg

Vrod and Ducati arsehole:ph34r::ph34r::ph34r: hardly starter bikes Nicci:ph34r:
You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

Vrod and Ducati arsehole:ph34r::ph34r::ph34r: hardly starter bikes Nicci:ph34r:

I know what they are Squeak. A. I don't plan on starting off with either bike, and B. DON'T CALL ME NICCI! It's NIKI you pendejo. :P:D

Why thank you & yes they are.
Though I've outgrown the Sportster, I will always keep it.
The night I got it ( Dec. 23 '96), my dad died.
He lived alone & I called him to tell him, but he never answered the phone. We found him the following morning, having died of a heart attack :(
The custom paint was in tribute to him.. his/our Cherokee & BlackFoot Heritage, & bittersweet thorned rose & heart w/ black tear drop.
She's getting a facelift.. being torn down & total overhaul & time to change paint job, this winter.
Your choices are both primo...
I can see why you'd want either or both !
I prefer the HD V-Rod, though my husband thinks the Ducati would be a good inner city bike...cutting in/out of traffic.
He was a sport bike rider by choice, but I've converted him to HD riding ;)
It depends on how you WANT to ride.
HD's do have a typically hard wide turn, but will always be my ONLY choice of mc & absolutely the best in open road riding & like you said " are pure sex on wheels" !

http://www.bmwmotorcycles.com/us/en/index.html

Get this type, look for a used one, they really last and are good in inclement weather.

Plus they are very nice

I spent a lot of time in the saddle of a 1150RT and it was a solid bike. The maintenance costs are horrid though.
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

Get this type, look for a used one, they really last and are good in inclement weather.

Plus they are very nice

I spent a lot of time in the saddle of a 1150RT and it was a solid bike. The maintenance costs are horrid though.

I'd hardly call them a starter bike either:S
Unless he meant the F650 GS or the G650, and those are nothing like the flat heads
You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

BMW G 650 GS
BMW G 650 GS
Engine
Type Water-cooled, single-cylinder 4-stroke engine, four valves, two overhead camshafts, dry sump lubrication
Bore x stroke 100 mm x 83 mm
Capacity 652 cc
Rated output 48 hp (35 kW) at 6,500 rpm
Max. torque 44 lb/ft (60 Nm) at 5,000 rpm
Compression ratio 11.5 : 1
Mixture control / engine management Electronic intake pipe injection / BMW engine management, twin-spark ignition
Emission control Closed-loop 3-way catalytic converter, emission standard EU-3
Performance / fuel consumption
Maximum speed approx. 105 mph (170 km/h)
Fuel consumption per 100 km at constant 90 km/h 74 mpg, at a constant 55 mph
Fuel consumption per 100 km at constant 120 km/h
Fuel type Unleaded regular.
Electrical system
Alternator three-phase alternator 400 W
Battery 12 V / 12 Ah
Power transmission
Clutch Multiple-disc clutch in oil bath, mechanically operated
Gearbox Constant mesh 5-speed gearbox integrated into crankcase
Drive Endless O-ring chain with shock damping in rear wheel hub
Chassis / brakes
Frame Bridge-type steel section frame with bolted-on rear section
Front wheel location / suspension Telescopic fork, Ø 41 mm, fork stabilizer
Rear wheel location / suspension Box-section steel dual swing arm, central spring strut operated by lever system, spring pre-load hydraulically adjustable (continuously variable) at handwheel, rebound damping adjustable
Suspension travel front / rear 6.7/6.5 inches (170 mm/165 mm);
5.5/5.1 inches (140 mm/130 mm) with lowered suspension
Wheelbase 58.2 inches (1,477 mm)
Castor 4.5 inches (113 mm)
Steering head angle 61.9°
Wheels Cast aluminum
Rim, front 2,50 x 19"
Rim, rear 3.50 x 17"
Tyres, front 110/80 R19 59V
Tyres, rear 140/80 R17 69V
Brake, front Single disc, diameter 300 mm, double-piston floating caliper
Brake, rear Single disc, diameter 240 mm, single-piston floating caliper
ABS Optional extra: BMW Motorrad ABS (can be switched off)
Dimensions / weights
Length 85 inches (2,165 mm)
Width (incl. mirrors) 36 inches (920 mm)
Height (excl. mirrors) 55 inches (1,390 mm)
Seat height, unladen weight 30.7 inches (780 mm); lowered suspension: 29.5 inches
(750 mm) high seat: 32.2 inches (820 mm)
Inner leg curve, unladen weight
Unladen weight, road ready, fully fuelled 1) 423 lbs (192 kg)
Dry weight 2) 386 lbs (175 kg)
Permitted total weight 838 lbs (380 kg)
Payload (with standard equipment) 415 lbs (188 kg)
Usable tank volume 3.7 gallons (14.0 liters)
Reserve Approx. 1 gallon (4.0 liters)

Plus they are very nice

I'd hardly call them a starter bike either:S
Unless he meant the F650 GS or the G650, and those are nothing like the flat heads

Yeah, I just haven't spent any time on the smaller BMWs. I will say that the replacement I got for the 1150RT, the Honda ST1300, is a better bike. The cost of maintenance is much less expensive, never mind not needing as much time in the shop as the BMW in the first place. In a year of riding the ST, I had to get the clutch replaced and I broke off one of the bar ends. Both are because the bike is ridden very hard. Also went through 4 sets of tires and 3 sets of brakes.

During a year of riding the 1150RT in the same manner, I went through a similar amount of tires and brakes, but I had to get the bike into the shop for new coil packs and to get the throttle bodies synced 5 or 6 times. The throttle bodies were annoying, since it happened all the time (so it seemed), took a better part of the day for the shop to fix and the bike would run like crap because of it.

Neither of those bikes are "good" starter bikes, but there are smaller versions of both bikes offered by both companies.

How many miles/year do you put on a bike?

I've put about 11,000 miles on the ST in the past year. All of which are in town riding.

I put about 5,000 miles on my other bike (a chopped up Vulcan) last year as well. Most of that were in town or short highway trips.

I agree w/others who suggest an SV650. They're wonderful little bikes that are cheap to buy/maintain/hop up.

BUT... do you mean starter bike as in you want to learn how to ride in NEW YORK CITY?!?! Tell me I'm misunderstanding you. Otherwise, you're right. You ARE nuts. A city is no place to learn how to survive on two wheels. They're hostile environments.

I agree w/others who suggest an SV650. They're wonderful little bikes that are cheap to buy/maintain/hop up.

BUT... do you mean starter bike as in you want to learn how to ride in NEW YORK CITY?!?! Tell me I'm misunderstanding you. Otherwise, you're right. You ARE nuts. A city is no place to learn how to survive on two wheels. They're hostile environments.

That's what i thought :| the question wasn't clear enough and a bit ambiguous to give you the best answer to the question. The best people to Answer that in context of the type of bike regarding experience law restrictions are the guys that riding your country, Would also advise getting the right clothes and advanced training:)

Billy-Sonic Haggis Flickr-Fun

My first (and current) bike is a Triumph Thruxton. It looks great, is easy to work on, easily customed, and is really easy to control. 900cc but not nearly as powerful as modern bikes - it is essentially a 1960's bike with better brakes, better electrics and no leaks. The new ones are even EFI (although they put fake carbs on it to make it look authentic!).
I love it - very reliable, sounds amazing (Triumph Off-Road pipes), turns heads and handles nicely.

Hobbes: "How come we play 'War' and not 'Peace'?"
Calvin: "Too few role models."

That's one of the many major problems out there with riders, with gas prices driving inexperienced to purchasing a bike, especially to those that want a fast, cool, often to big too handle...as their 1st ride out of the gate !
Too many times these people are getting on one, thinking if they can figure out mechanical operations, they are accomplished riders !
Like any thing else, experience comes with the respect & knowing...though you operate the machine, the machine is ultimately in charge of the outcome !
I've rode in many organized rides & rally rides w/ 100's of other riders.
Too many times on one of these rides some inexperienced newbie, decides to 'hot dog' for the spectating crowds, taking himself & other riders down with him !

Like wise, the drivers behind the wheel; who are also riders, understand a motorcycle has the same hinderances in emergency, unforeseen, or in anticipation for the many unexpected issues that can & do come up, has reflex & an eye for handling & reacting.
Contrary, there are some clueless non rider idiots who seem to have the brain less idea mc riders can stop on a dime, during any given situation...or they claim not to have seen, nor heard them.
One of the main reasons I ride with straight pipes & I learned this when I 1st started riding:
make sure I look at every driver in the eye before making any manuever where our paths may cross...in hopes they are looking into mine .

Unfortunately, that's not always the case.
Another "riding lesson" I adopted:
If you know you're going down...put /ride it down !

The only time I've been down, is having made the decision to take it down to avoid T-boning some dumb ass who decided to pull out or turn directly in front of me.
In 15 years & over 47,000 miles of riding, I've had to put it down twice...both while in town riding @ 35 mph.
The last time, I had gravel imbedded in my brake forearm for months, leaving a 4" scar...but when I got the bike back up, I pursued the chick who was on her cell phone when she turned directly in front of me, to her 'destination' & ...well, put it this way...she got the point of what situation she put me in
>:([:/]:|:(
While riding, it is no different then skydiving...it is utmost, you're head must always be on a swivel & reactionary ability on que.;)
Have a great & BlueSkies Day, Big Guy..we haven't chatted in awhile...hope all is going well B|

They are loverly.

Do they still have the Direct Recycle back to Earth oil system?

:D:D:D Don't all Brit bikes ;)

BTW Muthafukas doing my re coat on my swing arm are taking too friggin long STILL not ready so bike wont be running before weekend>:(>:(>:(
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?